Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Not sure if anybody else has seen this… at least in Asia/Middle East

Recently booked for myself a 1 night stay at the Courtyard Dubai and post confirmation I am seeing this note in my details page:

“A Tourism Fee of AED 15 per bedroom per night is charged at check-out. Children 0-6 years of age stay free”

This is not a tax because tax is being added separately as part of “Summary of Charges”. This seems to be ON TOP of taxes.

Sure I am only staying 1 night (=AED 15 or less than USD 4) but it just bothers me.

Don’t think I have seen this in other Dubai hotels before… unless it’s a new trend.

If it's a tourism fee imposed by an authority then you can't get away with it - it's the same in Malaysia.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
If it's a tourism fee imposed by an authority then you can't get away with it - it's the same in Malaysia.
You are correct. It isn't anything new. The tourism fee in DXB has been in place since my first visit in 2016.

James
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks. It seems that all hotels in Dubai charges this now...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We were recently looking at an award stay at the StR Punta Mita. (ultimately chose Hawaii). If we got the base room-so there were no charges-no resort fee. If I did a room on points with paid upgrade, the resort fee kicked in. 10% of whatever the upgrade fee was. So, I investigated a bit more. Fee is 10% of room charge. Ouch.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We were recently looking at an award stay at the StR Punta Mita. (ultimately chose Hawaii). If we got the base room-so there were no charges-no resort fee. If I did a room on points with paid upgrade, the resort fee kicked in. 10% of whatever the upgrade fee was. So, I investigated a bit more. Fee is 10% of room charge. Ouch.
Hotels in San Juan, PR are 16% - 18% of room rate or $15 - $30 per night for redemptions. Double OUCH!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Hotels in San Juan, PR are 16% - 18% of room rate or $15 - $30 per night for redemptions. Double OUCH!
So, the nicer the room, the more you pay-but you don't get anymore. Total scam-on top of the scam of the fee itself.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
So, the nicer the room, the more you pay-but you don't get anymore. Total scam-on top of the scam of the fee itself.
I thought the fee was supposed to be directly tied to what you receive in return for the fee. Was I mistaken?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I thought the fee was supposed to be directly tied to what you receive in return for the fee. Was I mistaken?
The fee provides the same "benefit" no matter how much you pay.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:25 pm

The Park Central in San Francisco charges this fee ( $40 per night). I saw what I thought was a very cheap rate, only to notice just before confirming that there was an extra $80 on a 2 night stay; then I noticed this charge ( there was no explanation on the payment page about what it covered...but when I went to the hotel page it mentions free wifi..i get it anyway.., some trivial discount on a tourist bus...and nothing else of consequence.
So what I though was a bargain turned out to be no cheaper than other comparable properties. I went elsewhere.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
The Park Central in San Francisco charges this fee ( $40 per night). I saw what I thought was a very cheap rate, only to notice just before confirming that there was an extra $80 on a 2 night stay; then I noticed this charge ( there was no explanation on the payment page about what it covered...but when I went to the hotel page it mentions free wifi..i get it anyway.., some trivial discount on a tourist bus...and nothing else of consequence.
So what I though was a bargain turned out to be no cheaper than other comparable properties. I went elsewhere.
I found out they automatically waive it for Platinum and above when I stayed twice in Dec 2019.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I found out they automatically waive it for Platinum and above when I stayed twice in Dec 2019.
If their website said so I would have stayed there at least once.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If their website said so I would have stayed there at least once.
This is not made clear on their website generally. In fact, there were days during the year end where there were rates that specifically say "amenity fee waived" that are slightly higher, along with lower rates that did not say this. If I had known, I would have booked the lower rates since the fee is waived anyway for Platinums and above.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:52 am

I agree. My finger was poised to click confirm but the total seemed wrong, so I looked more closely.
Three issues for me : 1. If they waive it then that needs to be clear . 2. The fee should not be hidden to the extent that t is, at least on the App. It needs to be clearly visible before customers are invited to confirm. 3. Customers should be told what it covers on the booking page ( not required to go to the hotel’s homepage to find out).
I don’t like this kind of jiggery-pokery.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This is not made clear on their website generally. In fact, there were days during the year end where there were rates that specifically say "amenity fee waived" that are slightly higher, along with lower rates that did not say this. If I had known, I would have booked the lower rates since the fee is waived anyway for Platinums and above.
moondog, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by paolo64
I agree. My finger was poised to click confirm but the total seemed wrong, so I looked more closely.
Three issues for me : 1. If they waive it then that needs to be clear . 2. The fee should not be hidden to the extent that t is, at least on the App. It needs to be clearly visible before customers are invited to confirm. 3. Customers should be told what it covers on the booking page ( not required to go to the hotel’s homepage to find out).
I don’t like this kind of jiggery-pokery.
I think they ought to put it on the page where they show the resort fee - I was looking at an Autograph hotel in Daytona and the rate was $79. I thought it was cheap and then the total was like $120 and I thought that can't be - $79 + whatever tax it should be max $100. I saw the junk fee when I looked closer and decided not to book it.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:22 am

I just had a similar experience with the Renn in Orlando. $86/nt. Sounds great...but $30/nt resort fee + $30/nt for parking. $60 in bullsh** fees on an $86/nt rate. (41% markup right there!) If this isn't bait & switch, I don't know what is. I definitely booked elsewhere. Even if it worked out being the cheapest place in town, I still would take my business elsewhere -- I don't play games like that, nor will I reward properties which do.
Tanic and diburning like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.