Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dayone
Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Oops, you are, of course right. I'll blame this one on jetlag.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
In the US, at least, airlines are legally required to display their prices the way they do. Otherwise you can be sure they would be doing stuff more like hotels rather than vice versa.
Exactly my point - why don't they have legislation against pricing in general? I'm not US resident so that I don't have to see these "fees" jerk up my car rental rates as all these "fees" (are already included in my final rate). Any business should be allowed to sell extra services as long as they are legal and optional, but a force resort/destination/you_name_it fee is just wrong.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Club Carlson, Choice, UAL, Delta, AA, Alaska
A shameful and growing practice by the hotel companies. Penny pinching regardless of how you book and your elite status. Ive seen these at Marriott properties and IHG properties in major cities and resorts. No points earned either for these grabs at Marriott or IHG. Its very frustrating to have been loyal and have gold/platinum/spire elite plus status that was explained to give inclusive benefits like internet and phone calls now only have to pay this blatant add on profit dash for the 'amenities' that you should get included with your stay when you book direct and have status.
CO-PLAT and RafKa like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Club Carlson, Choice, UAL, Delta, AA, Alaska
Often they dont even hand over these 'amenities' like bike share vouchers in NYC or the 'sparkling cheap white wine/cava' at check in unless you call them out on it. I bet most people dont and its just more of a rip off.
CO-PLAT and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Some just tell you to go screw, as happened both times I’ve tried this.
I'd get out my phone and call Corporate right in front of them.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My employer won't reimburse resort fees. They seem to be viewed as a luxury that's inappropriate for business travel, yet the reality is that sometimes you must stay in a property that charges resort fees. An obvious example would be a convention in Vegas. I'm not sure what happens if the garbage fee is called a destination or facilities fee.
I'd insist that my employer book me a hotel without such fees. If that increased my costs (higher hotel rate, taxis, etc.) they'd pay that too.

Fortunately, I've never worked for an employer that stupid. They looked at the bottom line.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by sethb
The plan is to blast the property with hold music from your speaker?
Tanic, MSPeconomist, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
And what do you expect them to do when Marriott is approving of theses fees.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It's not just these "amenity fees". Many hotels are now charging for parking in their not-even-close to downtown locations. Sometimes charging $15-$20 per night. When only a few years ago, their parking was free to guests.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They're scams and that's not a word I use lightly. I've taken to dinging any hotel I stay at a star on TA and writing specifically that I like the hotel but am offended by the fee. So far this year I've been lucky enough to be hit by:

- An urban destination fee at a Hyatt in Downtown Oakland
- A $70 a day resort fee at a Kimpton in Grand Cayman. It also thunderstormed my whole first day there rendering any "resort" values moot

But hey, I am making many free local calls to offset it
DELee and RafKa like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why there has to a new thread every time somebody encounters these. The fact remains that if they are disclosed -- whatever they are called -- they are not prohibited in the US. In addition, they are part of corporate marketing strategies and thus "calling corporate" is not worth a toll-free call.

Bottom line is that the use of these fees is spreading and once it hits an area, it tends to be adopted by other properties in the locale, so harder and harder to find.

Rather than having a fit, just do the arithmetic. If you book a $300 room with a $40 fee, that is a $340 room. If that is too much, move on.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
The properties are entitled to charge a "Resort fee" or an "Amenity Fee" or whatever they like.

I am likewise entitled to give them a 1-star review on both Tripadvisor and Yelp, which is what I do every single time. If all of you did the same, the properties might start to get the message.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Often1
Rather than having a fit, just do the arithmetic. If you book a $300 room with a $40 fee, that is a $340 room. If that is too much, move on.
Yeah that's a big no to "move on" - sure, in theory, the base prices should just adjust downward in a competitive market. But we know they don't. At the very least, the fees and the lack of opacity around them add to the (economist speak) "shoe leather" cost of shopping for travel - search costs increase, and suppliers can use a marketing quirk to increase their pricing power.

It's bad policy that these are legal, and it's bad business when businesses proliferate them.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Often1

So why don't we get the points on the $340 spend?
CMK10, Temedar, volabam and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelboy
And what do you expect them to do when Marriott is approving of theses fees.
If their ToS states that I get a replacement amenity which the hotel declines to provide, I'll demand compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.