Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2019 Q4 Global Promo : 'Unlock More' (29 Oct 19 - 14 Jan 20)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Official Announcement:

Unlock a world of possibilities with our new global promotion, Marriott Bonvoy™ Unlock More. Get 2,000 bonus points after two stays* — then you’ll unlock an additional offer for even more bonus points.

Register by December 31 to earn on stays at any of our participating hotels worldwide between October 29, 2019, and January 14, 2020. Make sure to book at marriott.com or with the Marriott Bonvoy App to earn with Unlock More and get the best rates.
Get ready to earn more from your travels and use your bonus points for free nights, flights, exclusive experiences and so much more.

Register now

*A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”).

Secondary Offers (Q4 2019):

2,000 bonus points after 4 additional stays.* Then keep earning 2,000 bonus points every 2 stays through Jan 14, 2020
4,000 bonus points after 2 additional stays
5,000 bonus points after 1 additional stay
6,000 bonus points after 3 additional stays
8,000 bonus points after 4 additional stays
10,000 bonus points after 1 additional stay
12,000 bonus points after 5 additional stays
15,000 bonus points after 6 additional stays
20,000 bonus points after 1 additional stay

Secondary Offers (all offers):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
The 2 to 3 day wait time between stays posting on account and the next bonus offer being unlocked, is way too long.
From check-out date, to the stays being posted on account, and then ANOTHER 2 to 3 days after that, can mean almost 1 weeks wait.

What if I have another hotel stay during that wait time ?
Does the next offer retroactively take this into account ?
ajf87 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
The 2 to 3 day wait time between stays posting on account and the next bonus offer being unlocked, is way too long.
From check-out date, to the stays being posted on account, and then ANOTHER 2 to 3 days after that, can mean almost 1 weeks wait.

I second this. I had a stay from 10/29-31 that I just got the points and promo credit (1/2) for. My next stay will be from 11/13-16 (2/2, so I'll "unlock" the new offer), and after that 11/17-22. I'm making a Platinum run anyway but I'm going to be super salty if my longest work trip of the year won't count towards the next promo, whatever it is. If your system is too slow can we get retroactive credit? Will I be able to accept the new offer in the middle of my longer stay and have it count?

Bonvoy reps: I'm planning on 60+ paid nights next year for a Titanium run as someone who (easily) made Hilton Diamond the hard way (60 nights) this year. Hilton has superior promotions. The points aren't worth as much per point but the overall earn rate is so good that it offsets the lower value. I want to make Titanium for the SNAs, plus I like the mileage transfer promotion and bonus double-dip, but come on, why make things convoluted?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
delete

Last edited by ajf87; Nov 2, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: misread
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by est-gratuite

Lurkers have confirmed that people with multiple consecutive stays will be screwed while Marriott IT catches up. See post #82 .

KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Lurkers have confirmed that people with multiple consecutive stays will be screwed while Marriott IT catches up. See post #82 .

But I don't see why people who book hotels before they know the promo should expect the promo to work well for them.

I always wait to see what the promo is before I book. (I belong to many different hotel programs, and "follow the promos".)

I understand that there are people who only want to stay with Marriott no matter whether there's a promo or not, but the promo not "meshing well" with their stays is the price they have to pay for that. Marketing promos are designed to change people's behavior, not to adapt to people's existing behavior.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Maybe this is posted somewhere above. Maybe email us what the unlocked promo is? Why should I have to log in to figure it out. I rarely go to the 'promo' page, unless I see something here.

There was a time when they automatically enrolled people, not sure why I have to enroll in a promo, especially at the Ambassador level.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:03 am

Is this promotion supposed to be for everyone?

I'm not seeing it in my account under "Promotions"....
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:38 am

I have completed my 2 night stay, 31-1 in Renaissance Bangalore, India & 1-2 on J W Marriott, I have compelled both hotels to post my stay on same day itself and just now I checked my account and found that they meticulously posted my stay & I got 2000 points added to my account....I have to wait for the special " Unlock " emails. I have already booked for further stays including St Regis Mumbai / Westin Kolkotta.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I don't see why people who book hotels before they know the promo should expect the promo to work well for them.

I always wait to see what the promo is before I book. (I belong to many different hotel programs, and "follow the promos".)

I understand that there are people who only want to stay with Marriott no matter whether there's a promo or not, but the promo not "meshing well" with their stays is the price they have to pay for that. Marketing promos are designed to change people's behavior, not to adapt to people's existing behavior.
This promo has certainly changed my behavior. Toward Hilton, that is.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
tick tock, tick tock, Marriott. Both of my stays have posted (which I realize is a big win for Bonvoy to actually get right) but for some reason (which at least you outlined from the get-go) it is taking 2-3 days for you to decide what my next Unlock is? This is beyond lame. Is there an actuary looking at each account to make up a promo? Some sort of formula that takes days to run on a Cray? I've come up with my own solution: Book Hyatt
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It took 10 days for Marriott to send me the 50 night reward email, which has the same 5 options for everyone...I can only imagine the intense IT required to figure out some A/B (C? D?) testing options and how long that will take.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:10 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Gonna go re-assign my stays elsewhere. Marriott needs to get their s*** together.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Finished my two stays, my 2000 points posted and I am just waiting to see the promo so I can book a couple of stays. Wish they would get their act together and stop with this nonsense.
nequine and cwang220 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marketing promos are designed to change people's behavior, not to adapt to people's existing behavior.
I'm quite curious how much these promos (across any of the hotel programs) incentivize meaningful changes in behavior. I mean, ignoring all the FT "I'm super important and taking my business elsewhere" posts here, since FT is not a representative sample of the overall program membership.

I guess there must be some change, or the programs wouldn't bother with them, but presumably Marriott knows that its combination of generally superior footprint and product consistency can offset a lower promotion earn rate.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by bennos
I'm quite curious how much these promos (across any of the hotel programs) incentivize meaningful changes in behavior. I mean, ignoring all the FT "I'm super important and taking my business elsewhere" posts here, since FT is not a representative sample of the overall program membership.

I guess there must be some change, or the programs wouldn't bother with them, but presumably Marriott knows that its combination of generally superior footprint and product consistency can offset a lower promotion earn rate.
That’s probably the reasoning behind this quarter’s promo. Marriott has most likely realized that their promos do not change members behavior nor bring any more additional significant business (or, at the very least, are testing that theory this quarter). Hence, this meaningless promo.

The only time I went out my way to make a booking with SPG/Marriott that I wouldn’t have otherwise made if not for a promo was this year’s 1Q double points promo. They only doubled points after the first stay, so I went ahead and booked a cheap stay before my upcoming multiple room weeklong ski trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.