FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

GW McLintock Aug 28, 19 11:46 am


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466566)
Completely disagree. Marriott couldn't care less about the environment, this is 100% a cost-cutting measure wrapped up in some environmental marketing hype to get people on board with it. A swath of 4 small bottles or 1 big bottle is still going to produce the same amount of plastic. If they were really concerned about the environment they would remove the plastic all together and use glass bottles.

The large bottles are much easier (and cheaper) to clean and recycle than the minis.

-J.

Zeeb Aug 28, 19 11:47 am

As others have stated, this is overall a good development... but I think they need to explain how they will ensure that nobody has tampered with the bottles. Those pictures don't show anything that would prevent somebody from opening up a bottle, messing with it, and closing it back up.

bhrubin Aug 28, 19 11:49 am


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466566)
A swath of 4 small bottles or 1 big bottle is still going to produce the same amount of plastic.

Alas, I think this is false.


If they were really concerned about the environment they would remove the plastic all together and use glass bottles.
So Marriott taking steps to reduce plastic is not a good step for the environment? That is incorrect, regardless of the reason. Your statement is a fallacy: it can't be true because they didn't to enough or could've done more.

cmd320 Aug 28, 19 12:01 pm


Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31466582)
Alas, I think this is false.

So Marriott taking steps to reduce plastic is not a good step for the environment? That is incorrect, regardless of the reason. Your statement is a fallacy: it can't be true because they didn't to enough or could've done more.

Any reduction in plastic will be minimal. Perhaps they're able to recycle the larger bottles easier, however the reality is this relies on thousands of housekeeping staff taking the time/effort to actually sort through these things which may or may not happen in many cases. This is entirely a cost reduction for Marriott wrapped up in marketing that will keep customers on board. This has nothing to do with the company caring about the environment.

GW McLintock Aug 28, 19 12:02 pm


Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 31466577)
As others have stated, this is overall a good development... but I think they need to explain how they will ensure that nobody has tampered with the bottles. Those pictures don't show anything that would prevent somebody from opening up a bottle, messing with it, and closing it back up.

I stayed at a Four Points not too long ago and I was having trouble with the shower gel bottle. For the life of me I could not get it out of the bracket, let alone open. They must have some kind of tool to release it. I'm going again in a couple of weeks; if this thread is still alive I'll take a photo.

-J.

bhrubin Aug 28, 19 12:10 pm

The numbers put the lie to those indicating this Marriott policy doesn't change much:

https://www.plasticsnews.com/news/ma...es-hotel-rooms


Now Marriott expects most hotels in the company's portfolio will switch to larger bottles by the end of next year. The decision will eliminate some 500 million little plastic bottles for products such as shampoo, conditioner, lotion and shower gel.

Marriott expects to cut plastic use by 1.7 million pounds per year. That's about 30 percent of the company's plastic consumption.

Marriott indicated more than 20 percent of its more than 7,000 locations now use pump-top bottles that contain 10 to 12 times more product than the smaller single-use bottles.

Marriott also said it has eliminated the use of more than 1 billion plastic straws by moving to an "on-demand approach" at its properties and using alternative products.

"Today's announcement won't eliminate our use of plastic, of course. Large toiletry bottles eventually have to be recycled too. Our guests have made it clear they want us to maintain toiletries in their rooms. That is the quality and service level they are accustomed to. Shifting to pump dispensers is a smart change," Sorenson said on his LinkedIn page.
Bolding mine. Sorenson was quite forthright, and yet the reduction in plastic use and consumption is absolutely significant. This is good environmental progress, and it's good business. A rare combo, indeed.

Still, haters gonna hate.

cmd320 Aug 28, 19 12:27 pm


Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31466671)
The numbers put the lie to those indicating this Marriott policy doesn't change much:

https://www.plasticsnews.com/news/ma...es-hotel-rooms



Bolding mine. Sorenson was quite forthright, and yet the reduction in plastic use and consumption is absolutely significant. This is good environmental progress, and it's good business. A rare combo, indeed.

Still, haters gonna hate.

Find me the numbers on how much Marriott saves in cost each year based on this. That would be much more interesting information. If 1.7 million lbs is a 30% savings in plastic, that still leaves quite a bit, big bottles or not.

cawhite Aug 28, 19 12:30 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31466280)
I won't use stuff from the big dispenser bottles. I always bring my own toiletries to use if I don't like what the hotel supplies. Sometimes even high quality products are too strongly scented or too floral for my taste.

I'm not a fan of Marriott's latest toiletry choice so I've been bringing my own on those stays. Depending on what the upcoming changes include (both in terms of product selection and how "accessbile" the contents are to everyone aside from housekeeping), I'll end up bringing more of my own (not a big deal, just a hassle).

bhrubin Aug 28, 19 12:34 pm


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466746)
Find me the numbers on how much Marriott saves in cost each year based on this. That would be much more interesting information. If 1.7 million lbs is a 30% savings in plastic, that still leaves quite a bit, big bottles or not.

It is a 30% savings on plastic every year, regardless of all other factors and including the big bottles. That is a good thing, no matter the cost savings you want to focus on.

Sigh.

Troopers Aug 28, 19 12:42 pm


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466746)
Find me the numbers on how much Marriott saves in cost each year based on this. That would be much more interesting information. If 1.7 million lbs is a 30% savings in plastic, that still leaves quite a bit, big bottles or not.

Just curious. 30% savings is not enough in your opinion. How much savings is enough?

cmd320 Aug 28, 19 12:45 pm


Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31466780)
It is a 30% savings on plastic every year, regardless of all other factors and including the big bottles. That is a good thing, no matter the cost savings you want to focus on.

Sigh.

That's fine, however if this were a true environmental focus, Marriott would invest in eliminating all plastic bottles. They aren't. This is a cheapening of the product wrapped up in an environmental press release to make it seem like some great change.

Now, if this gets some kind of better bath products than the new trash they're using, that may be a positive, we'll see I suppose.

JBord Aug 28, 19 12:49 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31466528)
I suspect this change is driven by legitimate environmental concerns, though cost savings are surely also being taken account.

Disposable plastics are a huge environmental problem.

You might be correct, but in my ~25 years working with Fortune 100 companies, I can tell you this is rarely the case (and granted that maybe companies have only become more aware in the last 5-10 years). With few exceptions, cost savings is the driver behind this and environment is the excuse to customers.

I have a hard time believing Marriott is doing it for a reason other than cost. If they can point to environmental concerns, that's the convenient cover for making the change. Large companies have been doing this for at least 10 years now.


Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 31466577)
As others have stated, this is overall a good development... but I think they need to explain how they will ensure that nobody has tampered with the bottles. Those pictures don't show anything that would prevent somebody from opening up a bottle, messing with it, and closing it back up.

Yeah, every time I use this stuff, I'm going to think about those videos of people licking ice cream in grocery stores. And no one should think it's absurd. I'm sure we all witnessed these types of "pranks" in our college dorms.

bhrubin Aug 28, 19 1:13 pm


Originally Posted by JBord (Post 31466851)
I have a hard time believing Marriott is doing it for a reason other than cost. If they can point to environmental concerns, that's the convenient cover for making the change. Large companies have been doing this for at least 10 years now.

Yet the end result is still very good for the environment. So what's the problem? If the cost savings are the only reason for this change, it still is very good for the environment.

People are so worried about the reasons that they are missing the forest through the trees: ignoring the actual and tangibly very positive environmental impact.

C17PSGR Aug 28, 19 1:40 pm


Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31466953)
Yet the end result is still very good for the environment. So what's the problem? If the cost savings are the only reason for this change, it still is very good for the environment.

People are so worried about the reasons that they are missing the forest through the trees: ignoring the actual and tangibly very positive environmental impact.

I suspect there may not be any cost savings. The larger dispensers may save on the bottles but likely increase labor costs.

kaizen7 Aug 28, 19 2:26 pm

The luxury hotels that use dispenser in my experience was using ceramic bottle with metal pump.
It wasn't sealed and can be opened easily.

I wonder if staff empty the bottle and clean them thoroughly after guest check out?
And since the bottle was quite large, how much shampoo/shower gel/conditioner/lotion will be thrown out when they clean these bottles


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:31 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.