FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

Dr. HFH Aug 29, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31469702)
No, my position is that this is nothing more than cutting costs. Whatever environmental benefit that may (I'm not really sold on the idea that there will be an real tangible benefit here) exist will be negligible and customers will be left with these terrible wall-mounted dispensers.

I think that we'll just disagree. First, I think that it's clear that eliminating the tiny individual plastic bottles does reduce plastic usage and waste. At the hotels I mostly stay in (Bangkok properties), they all now have cards you leave on your bed if you want clean sheets. Absent the card, the bed is remade with the same sheets, saving water. In one of the hotels, SGS, they have eliminated the use of plastic water bottles. The rooms now have glass water bottles in leather sleeves. I don't see any way that measures like these aren't good for the environment.

That said, yes it's true that measures like these also benefit the hotel owner by reducing costs. But does it matter what initially motivated hotel management to implement things like this? Regardless of whether it was out of concern for the environment or concern for the bottom line, the environment benefits. If the hotel also benefits, great.

DataPlumber Aug 29, 2019 8:57 am

Here's an idea. How about those who were still prefer individual bottles can request them via their profile. Nothing says class like a 55 gallon drums of eau du Marriott being dispensed at a RC.

And now on to my anti-paper straw crusade.

Dr. HFH Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 31469964)
And now on to my anti-paper straw crusade.

Oh, yeah. SGS has also shifted to paper straws.

cmd320 Aug 29, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31469891)
That said, yes it's true that measures like these also benefit the hotel owner by reducing costs. But does it matter what initially motivated hotel management to implement things like this? Regardless of whether it was out of concern for the environment or concern for the bottom line, the environment benefits. If the hotel also benefits, great.

Yes, it absolutely does. If Marriott wanted to invest in the product and also in making it environmentally friendly, glass, bioplastics, etc. that would be a true improvement. This is a devaluation masquerading as an 'enhancement'.

Zeeb Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31469818)
From a psychological point of view, this thread is absolutely fascinating. I wasn't aware people A) worry about catching ebola from shampoo and B) think people are hatching elaborate plots to contaminate soap

Since I guess people aren't picking up on what people are not saying out loud. I just don't want to be in a situation where somebody might have jacked off in to or otherwise put something other than shampoo in my hotel room. People do weird .... when given the opportunity and a private hotel room is that kind of opportunity to screw with an unlocked container like this. Will 99.9% of people do anything? No. But is it out of line to have concern about the 0.1 percent? I don't think so.

It's like none of you ever lived in a dorm or frat.

t5campbell Aug 29, 2019 9:46 am

Single Use Toiletries

I find it interesting they are worried about waste with these small toiletries, but will not place recycle bends in all of their hotels for bottles and cans. This is just a way for them to save money.

s0ssos Aug 29, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by t5campbell (Post 31470142)
I find it interesting they are worried about waste with these small toiletries, but will not place recycle bends in all of their hotels for bottles and cans. This is just a way for them to save money.

Cause most plastic cannot be recycled. Have you not been keeping up? Oh, you're not actually "environmentally conscious" but just giving excuses why you don't like using less plastic.

s0ssos Aug 29, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 31470096)
Since I guess people aren't picking up on what people are not saying out loud. I just don't want to be in a situation where somebody might have jacked off in to or otherwise put something other than shampoo in my hotel room. People do weird .... when given the opportunity and a private hotel room is that kind of opportunity to screw with an unlocked container like this. Will 99.9% of people do anything? No. But is it out of line to have concern about the 0.1 percent? I don't think so.

So your assumption is the hotel room is immaculate and clean? You presume they wash their comforters? Perhaps clean the mattress too? Do they sanitize the floor as well?

EuropeanPete Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31470413)
So your assumption is the hotel room is immaculate and clean? You presume they wash their comforters? Perhaps clean the mattress too? Do they sanitize the floor as well?

It’s bubonic plague on the door handles that you’ve got to worry about. Honestly, the degree to which people will go to oppose change...

GUWonder Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31469691)
I would like to see the medical literature documenting an infectious disease picked up from using a hotel TV remote control.

Can't say I visited ANA's facility for laundering their J class PJs, but to be honest I would not find it concerning. That is one of the places where I have encounter the laundered PJ discussions, it could go hand in hand with the borrowed sports wear at gyms in hotels and for the now shelved idea of a gym in th Cathay lounges (yoga room came though).

I am not saying the dispensers can't build up to a sanitary problem in hotels, just the the assumption as a matter of principle that it always, or even frequently, will is wrong. And where they do, the dispensere are not a cause but part of the effect of the problem

I also find the reference to plastic glasses in the rooms mildly amusing. That is one that alternates between 'So disgusting to have glasses instead of platoc cups as housekeeping won't clean them properly" and "Outrageous cost cutting to remove the glasses for plastic cups" There is just no positive way out for the hotel operators...
​​​​​

Given the following

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0617142534.htm

it’s not a big leap to expect that some people get sick from pathogens picked up from hotel remote controls.

Antarius Aug 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 31470096)

We get it, many of us dont think this is a problem worth worrying about.

How easy is it to do the same in a mini and drop it on the cart? Leave it in the room "untouched"? Extremely.

kaizen7 Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31469797)
are you serious?

Yes.
At least that what SO Singapore did. They take the bottles out when guest check in and replace with the supposedly cleaned and refilled bottles.
I believe the "used" bottles would be emptied, cleaned and refilled and put back in another room somewhere.

The said bottle is not huge like those wall mounted dispenser.. 100-150 ml ceramic bottles with pump.

MSPeconomist Aug 29, 2019 1:17 pm

PSA ALERT: The Marriott CEO is about to be interviewed on CNN about this issue.

cova Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm

I think this is a mistake - unsanitary. You can guess where people put their fingers when they take a show and then reach up and touch the top of the dispenser. Thus this mean the soap will be dispenser only or will Marriott still provide a bar of soap. I bring my own shampoo anyway but use the soap provided - and I prefer a bar of soap instead of the body wash liquid.

I can see the consumer report organization testing the germs on the dispenser pumps. The remote controls are the dirtiest now.

cova Aug 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31470908)
PSA ALERT: The Marriott CEO is about to be interviewed on CNN about this issue.

In Europe - about to come on CNN International as well.