FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

KRSW Aug 28, 19 11:13 pm

The dispensers are absolutely disgusting. Here's what greeted me at a Four Points last month. That mold didn't get that way overnight. Despite mentioning it to the front desk, nothing was done about it. If the outside looks this bad, what's on the inside? I should point out that all three dispensers looked like this.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e4d5f51a5f.jpg


Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 31466571)
The large bottles are much easier (and cheaper) to clean and recycle than the minis.

Except...sadly... Plastic honestly isn't recycled, even if you put it in the appropriate bin. This is especially true in countries which claim very high % of recycling, such as Germany, Austria, and Sweden. Dirty little secret: They claim tossing the plastics into incinerators is "recycling" since they're converting waste to heat/energy. Do some research on it and you'll be surprised.

The real solution on this is to have the TSA get rid of the bull**** liquid/gel restrictions. At that point I'd be more than happy to carry my own toiletries with me.

storewanderer Aug 28, 19 11:44 pm


Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31467357)
While some of you debate the reasons why hotels are reducing/eliminating plastic toiletry containers and the security for the replacement refillable bottles, the policy will be implemented regardless. Enjoy.

The environmental benefits of reduced plastics are obvious and well proven despite the rhetoric to the contrary. Whatever the costs. It's a win for the environment, regardless. Enjoy.

Lots of trolling here. I'm out...since willful disinformation and ignorance aren't my cup of tea. Enjoy.

Let's see, they are replacing little disposable plastic bottles (with a bottle and a cheap tin lid) with BIG disposable "tamper resistent" (it takes more plastic to make them tamper resistent... that is also why these big bottles can't be refilled) plastic bottles that contain a dispenser spout (like a thick plastic straw) and more thick plastic for the product to fall out of. I will repeat myself here, Marriott is switching to BIG NON-REFILLABLE PLASTIC BOTTLES.

No environmental benefit at all. Those big bottles are thicker and use even more plastic than the little bottles being replaced. Total cost cutting and labor savings move.

If they were going to wall mounted refillable dispensers then your arguments, bhrubin, would be valid and correct. But that is not what is happening here.

s0ssos Aug 28, 19 11:53 pm


Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 31468692)
Let's see, they are replacing little disposable plastic bottles (with a bottle and a cheap tin lid) with BIG disposable "tamper resistent" (it takes more plastic to make them tamper resistent... that is also why these big bottles can't be refilled) plastic bottles that contain a dispenser spout (like a thick plastic straw) and more thick plastic for the product to fall out of. I will repeat myself here, Marriott is switching to BIG NON-REFILLABLE PLASTIC BOTTLES.

No environmental benefit at all. Those big bottles are thicker and use even more plastic than the little bottles being replaced. Total cost cutting and labor savings move.

If they were going to wall mounted refillable dispensers then your arguments, bhrubin, would be valid and correct. But that is not what is happening here.

Did you calculate that the big bottles use more plastic? Quite a few calculations for you there. Can you show your work?

Gig103 Aug 29, 19 12:21 am


Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 31468308)


what you can’t bring your own razors?

Sometimes I forget, or sometimes I don't feel like checking a bag (I use a safety razor). The point is that hotels offer amenities for travelers that still use plastic. I'd like shampoo with a tamper-evident seal.

stimpy Aug 29, 19 1:35 am

We will know that Marriott truly cares about the environment when they remove the single use plastic cups from their rooms and put back the glasses they used to have. That would really make me happy.

EuropeanPete Aug 29, 19 1:47 am


Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 31468940)
We will know that Marriott truly cares about the environment when they remove the single use plastic cups from their rooms and put back the glasses they used to have. That would really make me happy.

Luckily plastic cups are a bit of an American obsession. They're reasonably rare in other countries.

GetSetJetSet Aug 29, 19 1:48 am

I rarely stay at Marriott’s but this is a terrible move. Those dispensers don’t seem sanitary. Glad (I hope) RC and the luxury tier bonvoy properties won’t be doing this. Will single servings be available on request at Marriotts?

stimpy Aug 29, 19 2:04 am


Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31468967)
Luckily plastic cups are a bit of an American obsession. They're reasonably rare in other countries.

I wish that were the case, but Marriott has been pushing them into hotels worldwide. Here in France there are no more glasses in the rooms. At least in the low to mid range hotels. Maybe they still have glasses in the luxury brands.

Dr. HFH Aug 29, 19 2:05 am


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466830)
That's fine, however if this were a true environmental focus, Marriott would invest in eliminating all plastic bottles. They aren't. This is a cheapening of the product wrapped up in an environmental press release to make it seem like some great change.

So your position is that unless Marriott gets rid of all plastic bottles, there's zero environmental benefit?



Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31467067)
I suspect there may not be any cost savings. The larger dispensers may save on the bottles but likely increase labor costs.

Another 60 seconds for housekeeping. No big deal.



Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31468278)
As a long-time veteran of the hotel industry, unfortunately I agree completely. There's no way any of these companies would even consider these initiatives if it didn't reduce their costs and the PR/marketing spin couldn't overcome the negative impact on guest experience. I'm also quite skeptical of any positive environmental impact, but of course any big corp is going to dress this up in PR.

Who cares if Marriott also benefits? Less plastic is environmentally beneficial.



Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31468364)
I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap. The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.

Presumably you mean the Fairmont Copley Plaza (only Fairmont in Boston). Grand, old hotel, but nowhere near the North End. In a different section of the city.



Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31468364)
I also think they should rollout a sanitizing routine for the parts of the pumps that come into contact with hands. Just make it clear that every Housekeeper MUST sterilize the pumps daily. If that occurred, would be very appropriate for the premium and luxury Bonvoy brands.

I don't think that sterilization is necessary, -- IMO regular cleaning with something like Windex is fine. Do you require that your sheets and towels also be sterilized?

EuropeanPete Aug 29, 19 2:19 am


Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 31469004)
I wish that were the case, but Marriott has been pushing them into hotels worldwide. Here in France there are no more glasses in the rooms. At least in the low to mid range hotels. Maybe they still have glasses in the luxury brands.

Ah, that is rather going against the spirit of the moment! I've yet to come across any. Am in a Tribute hotel in London at the moment and they have ceramics which are unusual, but quite nice.

stimpy Aug 29, 19 2:34 am


Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31469041)
Ah, that is rather going against the spirit of the moment! I've yet to come across any. Am in a Tribute hotel in London at the moment and they have ceramics which are unusual, but quite nice.

Good to hear about Tribute.

I have done a number of AC stays in several countries and they all have plastic cups.

GUWonder Aug 29, 19 2:58 am


Originally Posted by Ysitincoach (Post 31468031)
This poses the question of the slippery slope of what’s next?

Major US hotel chains have eliminated frequency of shuttles, doorstep newspapers, delivered checkout folios all in the name of the environment and as we know cost cutting.

Now go single use plastic toiletries...what’s next? Linen service? Towels reduced? Bed sheets? No air conditioning at all?

More and more the Marriott and the overall American hotel experience is reduced to a glorified eco-tourist camping trip.

Metering/throttling water and electricity consumption in the room.

A bunch of hotels went with having the electricity and air condition in the room (or parts of rooms) only kick on when a card key holder slot in the room was activated and loaded with a card. That was done to save the hotels money under cover of “environmentally-friendly”. The next step, and it’s already happening in some places, is to have electricity and/or air condition in the rooms kick on/off based on motion detection. That will save the hotels even more money and also cause inconvenience to some hotel guests, all while the hotel proclaims it to be an effort to “save the planet” but not passing on the cost savings to hotel guests or in the form or increased wages to hotel employees with no material equity stake in their employer’s fortunes.

gengar Aug 29, 19 3:01 am


Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31469008)
Who cares if Marriott also benefits?

That's not the issue being discussed.

narvik Aug 29, 19 3:03 am


Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31468364)
I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap. The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.

Recycling bar-soap has become a pretty big industry, and many companies provide this service and many hotels participate.
Pretty common-practice nowadays.


https://soapaid.org/
https://cleantheworld.org/get-involved/hotel-recycling-program/
​​​​​​
And a Hilton PR....errr... news article:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/18/business/hilton-soap/index.html

CPH-Flyer Aug 29, 19 3:24 am


Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31468971)
I rarely stay at Marriott’s but this is a terrible move. Those dispensers don’t seem sanitary. Glad (I hope) RC and the luxury tier bonvoy properties won’t be doing this. Will single servings be available on request at Marriotts?

The press stories say all hotels, though the luxury brands need more time to work on the solution so they will be the last to change over. So even the RC should join the trend. I guess there could be single serve ones in request until stock runs out. Or they will have both until stock is depleted.

Why do they not seem sanitary as a general statement? Sure there are hotels that have problems with cleaning properly, there are bad apples in every business. But they will have unsanitary conditions whether they have dispensers or not.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:34 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.