FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

Badenoch Aug 31, 19 5:36 am

What is surprising is the inordinate terror generated in some FT posters in response to something as simple as a soap dispenser in a hotel room. Forget nukes, Ebola, climate change, auto accidents and handguns. The real threat to life and limb is soap dispensers. Be afraid, be very afraid. :rolleyes:

GUWonder Aug 31, 19 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 31476191)
What is surprising is the inordinate terror generated in some FT posters in response to something as simple as a soap dispenser in a hotel room. Forget nukes, Ebola, climate change, auto accidents and handguns. The real threat to life and limb is soap dispensers. Be afraid, be very afraid. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It’s not terror that is generated by this move by Marriott. It’s just acknowledgment that this kind of move by Marriott isn’t without it’s own set of problems and really isn’t a “save the world” panacea no matter how it’s packaged by those with unqualified support for this Marriott move.

Of those who aren’t financially in bed with Marriott (more as a non-customer than as a customer), who really wants Marriott hotels to fail to clean the dispensers properly; to fail to refill the dispensers properly; to hassle or charge customers for wall-dispensers broken in the course of normal wear and tear; to have the dispenser solutions mislabeled and/or adulterated by accident or by unscrupulous intent? I would hope nobody here wants any of that, but this is FT where most any corporate move that annoys one or more customers probably has a defender to come along to exhort customers to not complain or voice concerns and to buy into the corporate/industry PR game.

JBord Aug 31, 19 8:23 am

I think fear would be a better word than terror. But right or wrong, facts & evidence or not, hotel rooms and soap dispensers are things that most of us have much more real and direct exposure to on a daily basis. They're also things that are easily remedied (or in this case, not placed to begin with). So we discuss the pros and cons.

There's also little I can do on a daily basis to prevent the other things you list. The one that I can prevent is auto accidents, and therefore I drive as little as possible.

Whether it's natural to fear things that we encounter every day is another issue. I don't oppose the dispensers because of typical germs we encounter every day. I am concerned with tampering to a small extent, but my opposition is based on functionality and effectiveness.

cmd320 Aug 31, 19 9:18 am

With the possible exception of auto accidents, these items affect me in about zero ways on a daily basis. On the other hand, I'm in hotels 50+ nights a year which means on average at least once a week I have to use these products.

chipmaster Aug 31, 19 10:12 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31476698)
With the possible exception of auto accidents, these items affect me in about zero ways on a daily basis. On the other hand, I'm in hotels 50+ nights a year which means on average at least once a week I have to use these products.

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 31476568)
I think fear would be a better word than terror. But right or wrong, facts & evidence or not, hotel rooms and soap dispensers are things that most of us have much more real and direct exposure to on a daily basis. They're also things that are easily remedied (or in this case, not placed to begin with). So we discuss the pros and cons.

There's also little I can do on a daily basis to prevent the other things you list. The one that I can prevent is auto accidents, and therefore I drive as little as possible.

Whether it's natural to fear things that we encounter every day is another issue. I don't oppose the dispensers because of typical germs we encounter every day. I am concerned with tampering to a small extent, but my opposition is based on functionality and effectiveness.

I found several posts concerned about tampering, but as road warriors the inconvenience or danger of removal of the little personal amenities if that is what the road warrior fears from the prior guest, should he be worried about the bed, the remote control, what might be in the ventilation vent, what my the tampering be in the buffet line, or kitchen, good god the conspiracy fear has no bounds :D

jrich7970 Aug 31, 19 10:43 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31476698)

But you don't have to use these products. As a 100+ nights a year person as well...if I had an issue with these dispensers, I would just bring my own. And I might start. A little bottle of shampoo lasts me more than the 5 days I'm there. So, filling one up and tossing it in my bag before I leave isn't exactly a big deal.

Just my opinion. Others may differ.

bhrubin Aug 31, 19 12:01 pm

I love you. :D:D:D

Hysteria and FlyerTalk go hand in hand for far too many. It tends to come from those who also are terrified of travel to Mexico, are upset the lounge isn't open 24/7, believe they are entitled to the Presidential Suite upgrade as a Gold elite, think the hotel owes them compensation after the power goes out because of a storm, are furious that they can't get Coca-Cola products, etc.

rickg523 Aug 31, 19 12:12 pm

Like the modern Western world in general, FT has its share of excessive germaphobes. And a smattering of projectionists who seem to believe that someone somewhere will actually live out their dark fantasies (never, ever them, of course; they would never!)

cmd320 Aug 31, 19 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 31476843)
I found several posts concerned about tampering, but as road warriors the inconvenience or danger of removal of the little personal amenities if that is what the road warrior fears from the prior guest, should he be worried about the bed, the remote control, what might be in the ventilation vent, what my the tampering be in the buffet line, or kitchen, good god the conspiracy fear has no bounds :D

Linens on the bed are changed after each guest, though I do usually give the bed a little inspection when I get into a room to ensure there isn't any presence of bed bugs or anything else that looks questionable. The remote I'll usually hit with a Clorox wipe. I don't ordinarily contact the vents in any way.

Originally Posted by jrich7970 (Post 31476911)
But you don't have to use these products. As a 100+ nights a year person as well...if I had an issue with these dispensers, I would just bring my own. And I might start. A little bottle of shampoo lasts me more than the 5 days I'm there. So, filling one up and tossing it in my bag before I leave isn't exactly a big deal.

Just my opinion. Others may differ.

No disagreement. I sometimes do bring my own but its obviously far more convenient for the hotel to provide this which is something I expect paying anywhere from $200-$500+/night.

GUWonder Aug 31, 19 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31477114)
I love you. :D:D:D

Hysteria and FlyerTalk go hand in hand for far too many. It tends to come from those who also are terrified of travel to Mexico, are upset the lounge isn't open 24/7, believe they are entitled to the Presidential Suite upgrade as a Gold elite, think the hotel owes them compensation after the power goes out because of a storm, are furious that they can't get Coca-Cola products, etc.

Want hysteria? Should we just wait until Marriott hotels throttle the hotel room air condition in even the hot parts of summer and just claim that the money-saving measure keeping the rooms hot is being done to “save the world” and should not be challenged by customers? :D

Not happy with a “hot” room at night? Well, think of it just as “saving the world”? :eek:

chipmaster Aug 31, 19 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31477310)
Linens on the bed are changed after each guest, though I do usually give the bed a little inspection when I get into a room to ensure there isn't any presence of bed bugs or anything else that looks questionable. The remote I'll usually hit with a Clorox wipe. I don't ordinarily contact the vents in any way.

No disagreement. I sometimes do bring my own but its obviously far more convenient for the hotel to provide this which is something I expect paying anywhere from $200-$500+/night.

You really sure they change linens, maid sure could save some time and effort just making the bed, get her shift done earlier, management push to save on a lot of water and soap too.

Sure they washed the dishes,lots of things you can conspire, you heard about the things that happen or are speculated to happen in China?

bhrubin Aug 31, 19 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31477396)
Want hysteria? Should we just wait until Marriott hotels throttle the hotel room air condition in even the hot parts of summer and just claim that the energy saving keeping the rooms hot is being done to “save the world”? :D

Not happy with a “hot” room at night? Well, think of it just as “saving the world”? :eek:

Can we get a red herring/straw man fallacy alert?

I ask every hotel in advance if they can cool to 67 F or below. There's no hysteria. Not being pleased and holding a hotel accountable when a hotel is unable to deliver on what was promised is not hysteria.

Experts confirm that sleeping between 60-67 F is best for most humans--since lower temperatures lower our blood pressure, which also helps us go to sleep. (That's the same principle used by most prescription sleep aids, by the way.)

No one's comfort or ability to wash themselves is in any way impaired by this change to avoid so many small plastic containers. Oops. Nice try. but no one is buying.

GUWonder Aug 31, 19 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31477448)
Can we get a red herring/straw man fallacy alert?

I ask every hotel in advance if they can cool to 67 F or below. There's no hysteria. Not being pleased and holding a hotel accountable when a hotel is unable to deliver on what was promised is not hysteria.

Experts confirm that sleeping between 60-67 F is best for most humans--since lower temperatures lower our blood pressure, which also helps us go to sleep. (That's the same principle used by most prescription sleep aids, by the way.)

No one's comfort or ability to wash themselves is in any way impaired by this change to avoid so many small plastic containers. Oops. Nice try. but no one is buying.

Sounds like the same kind of hysteria to me: sometimes things go wrong with hotel air condition, just like sometimes things go wrong with wall-mounted, toiletry dispensers.

And hotels throttling the air condition is a cost-saving measure that can also be proclaimed to “save the world”, so why not just accept hot hotel rooms in the same way as accepting wall-mounted toiletry dispensers in hotel rooms? It’s all about “saving the world”, isn’t it? :D

For what it’s worth, I would complain about service degradation and failures related to my hotel room air condition-related interests. Same “hysteria” when it comes to service degradation and failures related to my hotel room toiletry-related interests. Consistency in the “hysteria” approach beggars the above allegations about straw men and red herrings coming from my post.

Antarius Aug 31, 19 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 31477400)
You really sure they change linens, maid sure could save some time and effort just making the bed, get her shift done earlier, management push to save on a lot of water and soap too.

Sure they washed the dishes,lots of things you can conspire, you heard about the things that happen or are speculated to happen in China?

This. We don't know for sure. As a result, we have to either take it on faith or perform a cursory inspection and make a determination based on that.

there is no way to know for sure that the linens were washed at a high enough temperature to kill everything or that there isnt legionnaires disease in the HVAC. Both things I dont worry about, but seem to be far more likely to get you sick than soap dispensers.

jrich7970 Aug 31, 19 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31477310)

So, the first time I ran in to this situation I was at the Royal Sonesta in Boston (well, Cambridge, to be exact), and didn't think anything of it, although I'm not a fan of body wash, I prefer bar soap. The second time was about six months ago at the Autograph Collection in Annapolis. Again, didn't think anything of it except the annoyance of body wash. Don't know how long they have been doing this....has the Autograph Collection already made the switch everywhere?

But now, FT has gotten me all into a lather (pun intended), and I might start bringing my own stuff.