FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

atbPy Aug 28, 19 7:42 pm

I thought this was already in the works. I first recall seeing these in 2018 at a Courtyard Marriott. Most of the recent Fairfield Inn stays have had the Paul Mitchell green bottles in the picture. I appreciate seeing these because the small bottles are extremely wasteful.

ricktoronto Aug 28, 19 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31465940)
And it's not like Marriotts ever have toiletries I'd want to take with me . . . .

Or even use. I have to think many or most guests bring their own. I rarely use supplied little bottles, though I have kept a few sewing kits and emery boards or tiny shave creams for connecting showers (the razors are horrible).

Antarius Aug 28, 19 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31467715)
I consider glass in lower end hotels to be scary. I don't want to step on glass shards in the shower.

Glass in showers is scary, period. Last thing needed for a sleepy/tired/drunk/hungover/
<insert scenario here> person to knock or break a glass bottle in the shower.

Lower or higher end, it's easy to miss a small glass shard.

Antarius Aug 28, 19 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31468199)
Or even use. I have to think many or most guests bring their own. I rarely use supplied little bottles, though I have kept a few sewing kits and emery boards or tiny shave creams for connecting showers (the razors are horrible).

If this was the case, they wouldn't put them there. A lot of people definitely use them

gengar Aug 28, 19 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31466566)
Completely disagree. Marriott couldn't care less about the environment, this is 100% a cost-cutting measure wrapped up in some environmental marketing hype to get people on board with it. A swath of 4 small bottles or 1 big bottle is still going to produce the same amount of plastic.

As a long-time veteran of the hotel industry, unfortunately I agree completely. There's no way any of these companies would even consider these initiatives if it didn't reduce their costs and the PR/marketing spin couldn't overcome the negative impact on guest experience. I'm also quite skeptical of any positive environmental impact, but of course any big corp is going to dress this up in PR.

Collierkr Aug 28, 19 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31466179)
Ugh, I wish they'd at least keep some single-use bottles on hand at the front desk, like the disposable razors and toothbrushes. I really dislike the guise that they're doing it "for the environment" too, just admit you're saving costs and be upfront about it.

what you can’t bring your own razors?

AlanInDC Aug 28, 19 8:31 pm

I understand the rationale but I'll miss them. And I always take my leftover little bottles and use them later.

estedman Aug 28, 19 8:37 pm

I knew this day was coming and fricking hate it.

btonkid12345 Aug 28, 19 8:53 pm

I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap. The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.

I also hope they don't refill bottles. The "permanent dispensers" like at a Four Points stink - but I don't mind, for example, CYs where they replace the ENTIRE BOTTLE and pump when it runs out. Housekeeping just has new full bottles on their cart.

I also think they should rollout a sanitizing routine for the parts of the pumps that come into contact with hands. Just make it clear that every Housekeeper MUST sterilize the pumps daily. If that occurred, would be very appropriate for the premium and luxury Bonvoy brands.

Isochronous Aug 28, 19 9:07 pm

This is going to be a hygiene disaster. Your average Marriott is heading the way of a Motel Formula 1 now.

MSPeconomist Aug 28, 19 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31468364)
I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap. The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.

I also hope they don't refill bottles. The "permanent dispensers" like at a Four Points stink - but I don't mind, for example, CYs where they replace the ENTIRE BOTTLE and pump when it runs out. Housekeeping just has new full bottles on their cart.

I also think they should rollout a sanitizing routine for the parts of the pumps that come into contact with hands. Just make it clear that every Housekeeper MUST sterilize the pumps daily. If that occurred, would be very appropriate for the premium and luxury Bonvoy brands.

Sanitation only matters at premium and luxury brands? And are you suggesting that at such brands, the cheap alternative is OK as long as housekeeper sterliize the pumps daily, assuming that it's even possible/practical to do this in rooms? [Does the housekeeper bring a portable steam device to surround the pump and bottle attached to the wall and wait until it reaches the right temperature for the required time? I'm trying to imagine the routine and technology that would work to sanitize the pumps and attached bottles ot product.]

mahasamatman Aug 28, 19 9:13 pm

I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap..

Funny, I find the opposite. When hotels only provide shower gel, I'd say at least 70% of it gets wasted.

The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.

Many hotels advertised it, but I recall a report saying that was just an advertising gimmick and nothing ever actually came of it.

Dave510 Aug 28, 19 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31466280)
Sometimes even high quality products are too strongly scented or too floral for my taste.

My nose is starting to clog up as the thought of Asprey Purple Water comes to mind.

writerguyfl Aug 28, 19 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31467536)
I can check-in at some hotels under the name “Writ Er Guyfl” without the hotel asking me for ID and/or credit card and without the hotel having done any address validation. My last three hotel stays — none were Marriott hotels, but all had wall-mounted toiletries — had me checking in by just verbally giving the front desk staff the last name as per on the reservation; and I never showed any ID not presented any credit card even as at least two of these hotels were “cash-free” hotels.

So, those hotels are equally prone to having liquid soap polluted as public bathrooms. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of world is like you:

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31467536)
But I’m also not likely to be someone to adulterate a bathroom toiletry dispenser in hotel rooms or anywhere else for that matter.

CPH-Flyer Aug 28, 19 9:46 pm

It is interesting that having big bottles with pumps is a problem in hotel bathrooms, though I have never seen any complaints about the big dispenser bottles of hand-wash and hand cream in the e.g. Cathay lounge restrooms.

It reminds me of the discussion sometimes popping up about laundered PJs, people refusing to use a laundered PJ for sanitary reasons, but are perfectly fine to use a laundered towel or laundered linen at a hotel.
​​​​​​
If you question the sanitary condition of a soap pump and refuse to use it, what about turning the faucet on, using the door handle when exiting from the bathroom, or flushing the toilet?

I don't disagree that maintenance and cleaning of the setup will be very important for the visuals of the new setup. Something battered, poorly functioning with soap spilling out everywhere will leave a huge negative impression. But I don't worry more about the sanitary conditions of this than I worry about sanitary conditions of my hotel room in general. Which is not much in most places.