Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pete.th
This. And since they're informing me in advance I'm effectively not being "walked," so no compensation required even if I show up.
No, they aren't.

They said if you don't contact them or don't object they will cancel your reservation. There's not much they can do -- except walk you in accordance with the terms and conditions -- if you have a confirmed reservation and don't agree to be moved.

In your case with 3 separate, 1-night reservations, they would have to give you at least 270,000 points and US$600.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Pretty sure that it is the OP, not the hotel, that runs the risk of showing up out of his jurisdiction, in the middle of the desert, with a locked gate in his face and no immediate recourse. While I admire your sentiment, I am not sure I would call that “the upper hand”.
Yeah, it's important to keep this in mind. I don't know how many people here have been to Al Maha, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere in the desert, at least an hour away from everywhere. There's nothing around it, or anywhere near. IIRC you can't even see civilization from the gate. It's not like playing this type of gamesmanship at a Marriott property in Bangkok where there are a dozen others, some within walking distance. If this is your plan, suggest that you bring a tent and sleeping bag.
JBauer and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Pretty sure that it is the OP, not the hotel, that runs the risk of showing up out of his jurisdiction, in the middle of the desert, with a locked gate in his face and no immediate recourse. While I admire your sentiment, I am not sure I would call that “the upper hand”.
Not only doesn't OP have the upper hand here, this is a classic case of not understanding the immediate consequences. E.g. being walked into the desert at some ridiculous time of day with no alternative in place and nobody helping out. Whether one has some cash and points tossed one's way at some future point has little to do with the unpleasant situation of having to hopefully find alternatives, shell out cash, and then spend a vacation fretting.

Marriott itself has little sway in the UAE. Not as though it has much control over local investors,.

OP either gets this fixed before stepping on a plane or runs a serious risk.
Happy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yeah, it's important to keep this in mind. I don't know how many people here have been to Al Maha, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere in the desert, at least an hour away from everywhere. There's nothing around it, or anywhere near. IIRC you can't even see civilization from the gate. It's not like playing this type of gamesmanship at a Marriott property in Bangkok where there are a dozen others, some within walking distance. If this is your plan, suggest that you bring a tent and sleeping bag.
Originally Posted by Often1
Not only doesn't OP have the upper hand here, this is a classic case of not understanding the immediate consequences. E.g. being walked into the desert at some ridiculous time of day with no alternative in place and nobody helping out. Whether one has some cash and points tossed one's way at some future point has little to do with the unpleasant situation of having to hopefully find alternatives, shell out cash, and then spend a vacation fretting.

Marriott itself has little sway in the UAE. Not as though it has much control over local investors,.

OP either gets this fixed before stepping on a plane or runs a serious risk.
The idea that they would throw you out to the curb or not allow you onto the property if you had a confirmed reservation that was being walked to another property is laughable and really just fear-mongering.

The reservation is for the end of December. Today is March 27. There is plenty of time to play hardball.

At the very minimum, if the original poster isn't a scammer, he is entitled to 270,000 points, $600 cash and "comparable" accommodation.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The idea that they would throw you out to the curb or not allow you onto the property if you had a confirmed reservation that was being walked to another property is laughable and really just fear-mongering.

The reservation is for the end of December. Today is March 27. There is plenty of time to play hardball.

At the very minimum, if the original poster isn't a scammer, he is entitled to 270,000 points, $600 cash and "comparable" accommodation.
If he shows up without having dealt with the issue, it is far from laughable to suggest that he won't be permitted entry. The points (slightly less than a one night stay) and a few bucks won't change local management's view.

If he plays hardball, whatever that is, the property may simply cancel the reservation and leave OP to deal with the issue himself.

This is where telephones and social skills will yield a better result.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

If he plays hardball, whatever that is, the property may simply cancel the reservation and leave OP to deal with the issue himself.
At which point you then contact Marriott. This is a confirmed reservation.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:46 am

And who is going to enforce that? The police? Marriott’s lack of willingness to go to bat for its customers has been pretty well documented lately. See St. Regis thread.
Happy, innerspace and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

And who is going to enforce that? The police? Marriott’s lack of willingness to go to bat for its customers has been pretty well documented lately. See St. Regis thread.
This property has a documented history of not complying with Marriott's policies and rules. Marriott has already cracked down on the property previously. See here: https://onemileatatime.com/al-maha-award-redemptions/

As I've repeatedly said in this thread, I don't believe the property because of their prior bad acts.

I'm also encouraged that Marriott has previously cracked down on this property. If anything, this would be a more egregious violation. Properties can't just cancel award-redemption reservations because they want to take a cash booking. If they could then every property would do it and redeeming points would be worthless because there would be no consumer confidence.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

This is where telephones and social skills will yield a better result.
You really want it in writing.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Under Marriott Bonvoy's terms and conditions you are entitled to 90,000 points and $200 in compensation per reservation as well as "comparable" accommodation if the hotel decides not to honor the reservation.

I would not voluntarily cancel the reservation. I also wouldn't appear too eager to settle and negotiate. You have the upper hand here, not the hotel.
This applies only if you're actually walked, on the day of arrival.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This applies only if you're actually walked, on the day of arrival.
Correct, but it's a good starting point for what compensation you want from a property if you're negotiating.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:08 am

It stops being a confirmed reservation once the hotel cancels it on their end. Whether OP is entitled to some compensation arising from that cancellation, and what form should that compensation take, is something for OP to agree with the property or, as a last resort, to be decided by an Emirati court of law.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:46 am

I'm also encouraged that Marriott has previously cracked down on this property. If anything, this would be a more egregious violation. Properties can't just cancel award-redemption reservations because they want to take a cash booking. If they could then every property would do it and redeeming points would be worthless because there would be no consumer confidence.
I feel like things have changed for the worse with MR even in the past few months since the episode to which you refer. I also feel like you have the luxury of perhaps a more privileged perspective - from your many posts it seems like you are in a position to write a lot of one-off demands and unique requests into your bookings (suite upgrade requirements, etc.) which normal travelers, needless to say, don't do. So maybe you have a connection which gives you more faith or something. But from down here on the ground I'd just not be very optimistic about MR's customer relations these days.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Whether OP is entitled to some compensation arising from that cancellation, and what form should that compensation take, is something for OP to agree with the property or, as a last resort, to be decided by an Emirati court of law.
And an Emirati court of law deciding an issue involving a resort owned by the Royal Family ....

Which goes back to the property is likely willing to make a customer service gesture as they care more about long term than our blockchain friends at the St. Regis but they are unlikely to write a check. So if OP can find alternative dates, they might be willing to give a credit, or if the owners/managers have another property in Dubai they own, they might be willing to do something there. My googling suggests the Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites is also owned by Emirates.

Asking for full board at the R-C seems very unlikely -- unless they own it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

I feel like things have changed for the worse with MR even in the past few months since the episode to which you refer. I also feel like you have the luxury of perhaps a more privileged perspective - from your many posts it seems like you are in a position to write a lot of one-off demands and unique requests into your bookings (suite upgrade requirements, etc.) which normal travelers, needless to say, don't do. So maybe you have a connection which gives you more faith or something. But from down here on the ground I'd just not be very optimistic about MR's customer relations these days.
On my individual stays, I hold Marriott and its properties to the terms and conditions. Period. I don't get weak knees and fold easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.