Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Bold : I'm curious what would be the comparable Marriott hotel that comparable to Al Maha ?
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Exactly. There are no comparable properties in Dubai.
Exactly. I would be pretty disappointed in this situation. There would be no place else in Dubai that I would consider. At this point, however, there's really little to be done. This is a NYE rezzie? There are certainly other nice places to go for NYE; however, as pointed out upthread, unless the substitute property has the same owner, Al Maha will have to pay out of pocket. OP doesn't give any info about him/herself in the displayed profile; but if s/he has an Ambassador, this would be a perfect situation to give to the Ambassador. Let the Ambassador find a somewhat comparable property and negotiate some type of F&B credit or other special concession as partial compensation. Ambassadors have both the ability/authority (I'm pretty sure) and bigger picture vision to understand what's going on and make things happen. I believe that Ambassadors have a budget for this stuff, too. I only used my Ambassador a few times during the two years that I had an Ambassador, but she did some great things for me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Exactly. I would be pretty disappointed in this situation. There would be no place else in Dubai that I would consider. At this point, however, there's really little to be done. This is a NYE rezzie? There are certainly other nice places to go for NYE; however, as pointed out upthread, unless the substitute property has the same owner, Al Maha will have to pay out of pocket. OP doesn't give any info about him/herself in the displayed profile; but if s/he has an Ambassador, this would be a perfect situation to give to the Ambassador. Let the Ambassador find a somewhat comparable property and negotiate some type of F&B credit or other special concession as partial compensation. Ambassadors have both the ability/authority (I'm pretty sure) and bigger picture vision to understand what's going on and make things happen. I believe that Ambassadors have a budget for this stuff, too. I only used my Ambassador a few times during the two years that I had an Ambassador, but she did some great things for me.
Unfortunately I'm only Gold with Marriott, so I'm not sure if I'm entitled to any compensation here. I did email back a couple days ago mentioning that I booked way in advance and I'm not really sure if the hotel's full so I want to hear some clarification. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the time being; it might actually be a Marriott system error. However, they should really be more responsive in addressing this issue.

I'd also agree with some other posts that there is no comparable properties in Dubai, unless they give me the RC Al Wadi + activities + full board. However, since I'm not being walked from the property, I'm not sure whether I'm entitled to compensation in this case. My reading of the T&C is that I'm not entitled to compensation, but in the spirit of goodwill I should be offered something. If I don't hear back today, I'll give the hotel a call tomorrow and will report back on what's offered to me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
While this is very annoying it does make you wonder is it genuinely overbooked by the system or a hotel trying to clear out cheap points reservations to be able to take cash reservations. If you have 3 nights booked maybe suggest you would be happy to have 1 night moved but still experience 2 nights at the property.

I dont know how much you travel to Dubai but you could also ask if they will move the dates or if you wish to be their for NYE ask about the following year and see what they say!
So in total I actually have 5 bookings made, each 1-night for 28 Dec, 29 Dec, 30 Dec, 31 Dec and 1 Jan. Original plan was to stay 2-3 nights. But if you looked at the hotel's email, they've canceled the nights of 29 Dec and 31 Dec, leaving me with a gap in between my 3 remaining bookings. Too convenient for them perhaps?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
So you are gaming system kind of by booking 5 nights but expecting to cancel several?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
So you are gaming system kind of by booking 5 nights but expecting to cancel several?
I wouldn't say gaming. I am waiting to see what dates work best with my schedule and flight cost and intend to cancel the unwanted ones as soon as I finalize my plans. But what Al Maha is proposing right now is leaving me with isolated one night bookings which won't work for me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i often book separate reservations myself because my travel plans change quite often....wouldn't call it gaming the system....
Happy, MSPeconomist and tomwhom like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:46 am

It is "kind of" - perfectly legit and but also leaves hotels scrambling. My guess is many ppl are doing what OP is doing and making points advance bookings with expectation of cancelling some of the nights. People will then claim hitel is playing with system when openings pop up closer to artoval date.

Tough for hotels to deal with last minute if not in city locations or where last minute bookings take place.

I understand OPs anger... But I also understand issues property dealing with
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Does Al Maha informs you what Marriott comparable hotel they think to move you into?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pete.th
Unfortunately I'm only Gold with Marriott, so I'm not sure if I'm entitled to any compensation here. I did email back a couple days ago mentioning that I booked way in advance and I'm not really sure if the hotel's full so I want to hear some clarification. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the time being; it might actually be a Marriott system error. However, they should really be more responsive in addressing this issue.

I'd also agree with some other posts that there is no comparable properties in Dubai, unless they give me the RC Al Wadi + activities + full board. However, since I'm not being walked from the property, I'm not sure whether I'm entitled to compensation in this case. My reading of the T&C is that I'm not entitled to compensation, but in the spirit of goodwill I should be offered something. If I don't hear back today, I'll give the hotel a call tomorrow and will report back on what's offered to me.
Under Marriott Bonvoy's terms and conditions you are entitled to 90,000 points and $200 in compensation per reservation as well as "comparable" accommodation if the hotel decides not to honor the reservation.

I would not voluntarily cancel the reservation. I also wouldn't appear too eager to settle and negotiate. You have the upper hand here, not the hotel.
innerspace likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 27, 2019 at 6:00 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You have the upper hand here, not the hotel.
Pretty sure that it is the OP, not the hotel, that runs the risk of showing up out of his jurisdiction, in the middle of the desert, with a locked gate in his face and no immediate recourse. While I admire your sentiment, I am not sure I would call that “the upper hand”.
Happy, innerspace, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:27 am

I also think Marriott should get rid of advanced points booking (or have very early cancellation deadlines) or only allow one advance booking at a time in order to prevent abuse. I often can't book with points as I bet speculators reserve up on holiday periods

​​​
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Does Al Maha informs you what Marriott comparable hotel they think to move you into?
Not yet. Waiting for the GM to email me back to discuss but he's been MIA for 2 days now.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer

Pretty sure that it is the OP, not the hotel, that runs the risk of showing up out of his jurisdiction, in the middle of the desert, with a locked gate in his face and no immediate recourse. While I admire your sentiment, I am not sure I would call that “the upper hand”.
This. And since they're informing me in advance I'm effectively not being "walked," so no compensation required even if I show up.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

I also think Marriott should get rid of advanced points booking (or have very early cancellation deadlines) or only allow one advance booking at a time in order to prevent abuse. I often can't book with points as I bet speculators reserve up on holiday periods

​​​
I think that's fair but I would also say that points advance, to me at least, is one of the few remaining bright spots of Bonvoy especially for those without a pool of million points to spend. A tighter cancellation deadline, say, 3 months, is acceptable to me. Take it away and it's Bonvoyage.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pete.th
Not yet. Waiting for the GM to email me back to discuss but he's been MIA for 2 days now.
Probably because he's reading this thread. It's a safe bet the Marriott lurkers have alerted the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.