FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1962426-al-maha-claims-theyre-overbooked-want-cancel-my-reservation.html)

pete.th Mar 25, 2019 12:55 am

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Hi folks,

Would appreciate some advice here on what at the very least seems like an iffy situation. I booked three separate 1-night bookings at Al Maha using points advance for 29 Dec, 30 Dec, and 31 Dec 2019. One of the dates have already been paid with points. Two other dates are on points advance. I just received the following email from the GM requesting to cancel my booking:

------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

We are contacting you regarding your reservation at Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort and Spa, Dubai beginning 29 December 2019 for 3 nights.

Due to a system error, the hotel is unfortunately over-booked on all the nights of your booking. As your reservation is one that has been impacted by this error, we would like to assist you with adjusting your reservation.

We are happy to secure a room at a comparable Marriott hotel for the same rate. If you need to cancel the reservation altogether, we are happy to assist with this as well. Please contact us by 31 March 2019 to let us know how you would like to adjust your reservation. If we do not hear from you by then we will be canceling your reservations below.<Res. No.>
<Guest name>
29-Dec-19
30-Dec-19
<Res. No.>
<Guest name>
31-Dec-19
01-Jan-20

We greatly appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. May I please ask you to provide me with a telephone number? I will appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

------------------

I understand overbookings do happen, and I've already requested to know why my room was requested to be canceled. I suspect it might have something to do with these reservations being points bookings. Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Also, what are my rights according to the T&C? The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee should come into affect in this case? Not sure about the points advance ones, but the one where I already paid with my points should have some ground for compensation I believe...

nequine Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am

Someone else is having a similar issue to yourself in this thread. You might get more help/info in there. :)

pete.th Mar 25, 2019 1:42 am

Originally Posted by nequine (Post 30926278)
Someone else is having a similar issue to yourself in this thread. You might get more help/info in there. :)

Yeah I saw that, but didn't wanna join a thread with baseless accusations of racism :)

EuropeanPete Mar 25, 2019 4:05 am

It’s obviously a super annoying situation, but it looks like it is what it is. I’d figure out what you reasonably want and negotiate for it - the Al Maha staff will be incredibly annoyed this happened and will want to make things right.

If I were you I would either look at cancelling the reservation if you can recoup other costs or to move to either the W or Westin beach hotels which are quite nice (with a generous expected F&B credit). A Dec 31st reservation will mean many hotels will have pretty impressive new year’s celebrations which Al Maha should be offering to cover for you.

UKTraveller4Fun Mar 25, 2019 4:10 am

While this is very annoying it does make you wonder is it genuinely overbooked by the system or a hotel trying to clear out cheap points reservations to be able to take cash reservations. If you have 3 nights booked maybe suggest you would be happy to have 1 night moved but still experience 2 nights at the property.

I dont know how much you travel to Dubai but you could also ask if they will move the dates or if you wish to be their for NYE ask about the following year and see what they say!

hockeyinsider Mar 25, 2019 7:00 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun (Post 30926540)
While this is very annoying it does make you wonder is it genuinely overbooked by the system or a hotel trying to clear out cheap points reservations to be able to take cash reservations. If you have 3 nights booked maybe suggest you would be happy to have 1 night moved but still experience 2 nights at the property.

I dont know how much you travel to Dubai but you could also ask if they will move the dates or if you wish to be their for NYE ask about the following year and see what they say!

Considering this property unsuccessfully tried to game the system and not provide benefits to guests staying on points I don't for a second believe the hotel is overbooked. This looks like the hotel trying to create availability for cash-paying guests.

It's March. A lot could happen between now and December 2019. Guests could cancel, etc. I would refuse to be moved and take your chances.

IluvSQ Mar 25, 2019 7:20 am

Just checked on Marriott website, and all the following hotels say they are sold out for those dates:
Al Maha, Four Points, Jumeirah, Royal Meridien, Grosvenor House, and Bulgari.
I wouldn't wait too long to make alternate arangements.______________

HHQX888 Mar 25, 2019 7:36 am

Simply cancel your stay, and told them that thay return you actual amount of points for 3 nights at category 8 hotel and use them in different location.

tfong007 Mar 25, 2019 7:44 am

Really tough situation. The hotel is clearly looking out for its own best interest. I hope that you can get some sort of compensation from them.

hockeyinsider Mar 25, 2019 7:46 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888 (Post 30927095)
Simply cancel your stay, and told them that thay return you actual amount of points for 3 nights at category 8 hotel and use them in different location.

That's bad advice.

At the very minimum, the original poster should get double the points and require reimbursement of any and all fees related to airfare changes.

Even if we take the property at its word, I think it's absurd to think no guests will cancel their reservations and thereby open up a room between now and December.

kaizen7 Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by pete.th (Post 30926221)
Hi folks,

We are contacting you regarding your reservation at Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort and Spa, Dubai beginning 29 December 2019 for 3 nights.

Due to a system error, the hotel is unfortunately over-booked on all the nights of your booking. As your reservation is one that has been impacted by this error, we would like to assist you with adjusting your reservation.

We are happy to secure a room at a comparable Marriott hotel for the same rate. If you need to cancel the reservation altogether, we are happy to assist with this as well. Please contact us by 31 March 2019 to let us know how you would like to adjust your reservation. If we do not hear from you by then we will be canceling your reservations below.<Res. No.>

Bold : I'm curious what would be the comparable Marriott hotel that comparable to Al Maha ?

kaizen7 Mar 25, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 30927030)
Just checked on Marriott website, and all the following hotels say they are sold out for those dates:
Al Maha, Four Points, Jumeirah, Royal Meridien, Grosvenor House, and Bulgari.
I wouldn't wait too long to make alternate arangements.______________

I check for al maha availability before .. and seems like december is quite busy for them with only higher cat villas available for cash booking

MSPeconomist Mar 25, 2019 8:05 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888 (Post 30927095)

NO, OP should negotiate for something. The alternative comparable hotels aren't all inclusive, so if OP just switches to a different booking on points, OP is stuck paying a lot for F&B during the stay.

hockeyinsider Mar 25, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30927213)
NO, OP should negotiate for something. The alternative comparable hotels aren't all inclusive, so if OP just switches to a different booking on points, OP is stuck paying a lot for F&B during the stay.

Exactly. There are no comparable properties in Dubai.

CLEguy Mar 25, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30927247)
Exactly. There are no comparable properties in Dubai.

Are there any comparable properties of any sort in Dubai or UAE broadly? Could OP negotiate for, say...[googles furiously]...Qasr al Sarab?