Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is no comparable property has a vacancy at the last minute around NYE?
It might actually be worth contacting Marriott (in writing) and asking for something in advance on that particular concern.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is no comparable property has a vacancy at the last minute around NYE?
Abu Dhabi isn't that far away.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
It might actually be worth contacting Marriott (in writing) and asking for something in advance on that particular concern.
Why? This property's general manager has made it clear he intends to honor the reservation. I'm sure he found another sucker willing to voluntarily cancel their reservation.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Abu Dhabi isn't that far away.
Doesn’t Abu Dhabi celebrate NYE?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Why? This property's general manager has made it clear he intends to honor the reservation. I'm sure he found another sucker willing to voluntarily cancel their reservation.
I consider it to be a valid CYA situation, but also because this is an obvious-when-you-think-about-it gap in the Marriott "walking" policy. Obviously, being "walked" from a Courtyard to a Springhill isn't a big deal. But when you only have a limited number of "premium" properties to choose from and/or the possibility of "squeezed" availability in an area for a holiday, that's an issue.

For example, in Williamsburg I might consider 3-4 properties to be "on par with" or better than the Williamsburg Lodge (the Williamsburg Inn, the Kingsmill Resort, and probably Ford's Colony come to mind). There are similar situations where there are only a few high-end properties "in the neighborhood", so I'd be curious as to what the plan was to deal with a walk at those properties at a super-peak time.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by pete.th
I think that's fair but I would also say that points advance, to me at least, is one of the few remaining bright spots of Bonvoy especially for those without a pool of million points to spend. A tighter cancellation deadline, say, 3 months, is acceptable to me. Take it away and it's Bonvoyage.
no it is ridiculous.... rewards redemption is not so much different from flexi rate......

I believe there are some post that highlighted that the award night is not available even if the standard room is available.

Well, I think for NYE perhaps 3 days cancellation notice may be acceptable for redemption night.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
My guess is that the OP's reservation will be honored. However, his stay will probably not be pleasant and he will be writing a post to complain in one year's time. Eg. Hotel overrun by large local extended family with spoiled brats running around and screaming and parents not doing anything about it. Slow service during meal times as the family gets preferential treatment. Loud music/festivities that are geared only towards the culture of the family. OP and significant other gets ignored by staff most of the time...
MSPeconomist and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by freed0m

Maybe you should OP when he/she will cancel his/her unwanted reservations. He/she booked multiple without intention to confirm all.

OP is not alone with this. Tell me as a property manager how you intend to manage revenue?

Marriott creates a mess and now members are going to lose more aspirational properties.

well the booking for Dec-2019 and not very uncommon that some of us cannot tell the exact date we can go for vacation. So what's wrong to pre book the nights as the property may not be avail for redemption later?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by freed0m

most will not understand how point advance works after rate change. You gotta cut the hotel some slack about not knowing how many points to charge. That’s Marriott’s job, not the hotel’s.

The problem is OP has no intention to confirm all its reservations. OP uses point advance to book all possible date around NYE, only confirms one(?) and intend to cancel one(?) after finalising plan.

you have the point here... how much points deducted is Marriott business not the property. The property will get reimburse by Marriott on the agreed rate.

This also show that the hotel is probably not happy to get the reimburse rate which definitely much lower compare to BAR. I tend to agree with the other that the hotel is playing the game here
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:41 am

Coincidentally, my reservation was also from December 29 to 31, and was also oversold on an order.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kent Zhong
Coincidentally, my reservation was also from December 29 to 31, and was also oversold on an order.
What did you end up doing?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:53 am

I am sorry that I exceeded the sending limit today, after which I will tell you the final situation.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Resolution: Compensation and great stay on different dates

Just an update for those who are interested in the final resolution.

I ended up managing to confirm 4 nights with points deducted. The hotel was overbooked on all 4 nights. July I checked in again with the hotel and they were still overbooked. I'd heard that some people received generous compensation - points compensation + comped night - and decided to explore the option. In the end the hotel agreed to compensate with 200,000 points and 2 complimentary nights on different dates. I wanted to complete the stay first before reporting back here, and stahad they last month that went as it should - full board and 2 activities per day. Conversations in person at the resort also all point towards the hotel actually being overbooked due to Marriott IT issues. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome and although wasn't able to stay during NYE I had an otherwise excellent time.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am glad it worked out well and that was a very generous compensation! Wow...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:49 am

Excellent! Fantastic to hear and glad that your schedule had sufficient flexibility to be able to take advantage of the full offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.