Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And an Emirati court of law deciding an issue involving a resort owned by the Royal Family ....

Which goes back to the property is likely willing to make a customer service gesture as they care more about long term than our blockchain friends at the St. Regis but they are unlikely to write a check. So if OP can find alternative dates, they might be willing to give a credit, or if the owners/managers have another property in Dubai they own, they might be willing to do something there. My googling suggests the Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites is also owned by Emirates.

Asking for full board at the R-C seems very unlikely -- unless they own it.
I don't know why anyone would think this would because some bizarre court case in the United Arab Emirates. It's a confirmed reservation that was paid for with points by presumably an American who booked directly through Marriott, which is presumably a Delaware corporation headquartered in Maryland.

If the original poster sticks to the rules and isn't afraid to escalate to Marriott -- I assume he isn't a scammer -- then I'm confident Marriott will take his side and force the property to either honor the reservation or follow the rules by paying 90,000 points and $200 in compensation per night and booking "comparable" accommodation.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Although not a walk per policy, might as well just pay out the 90k points and $200. Be cheaper at this point for the property but then there is that comparable accommodation issue. But since it’s not a walk, this compensation plus a stay at another comparable property without the Al Maha amenity seems reasonable.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't know why anyone would think this would because some bizarre court case in the United Arab Emirates. It's a confirmed reservation that was paid for with points by presumably an American who booked directly through Marriott, which is presumably a Delaware corporation headquartered in Maryland.

If the original poster sticks to the rules and isn't afraid to escalate to Marriott -- I assume he isn't a scammer -- then I'm confident Marriott will take his side and force the property to either honor the reservation or follow the rules by paying 90,000 points and $200 in compensation per night and booking "comparable" accommodation.
Well, let’s have OP sue Marriott in the US then, and see how it goes.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Well, let’s have OP sue Marriott in the US then, and see how it goes.
Let's hope we don't have to go that far. Still waiting to hear back from the GM and still hoping for an amicable resolution. Will call the hotel today if I don't get an email from him by noon Dubai time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

I was pondering this. IANAL but I have to wonder just where the proper jurisdiction would be for filing a case that involves a (presumed) US citizen, a US corporation (Delaware or Maryland, take your pick) and a foreign property. MR's T&C state the following:

"Any disputes arising out of or related to the Loyalty Program or these Program Rules will be handled individually without any class action, and will be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland, United States, without regard to its conflicts of law rules. The exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or action arising out of or relating to the Loyalty Program or the Program Rules may be filed only in the state or federal courts located in the State of Maryland, United States."

So that would seem to make any claim relating to this a matter to resolve in Maryland, not the UAE, even if the misbehaving entity resides in the UAE. So if OP is willing to take his case to Maryland, it's probably going to be hard for Marriott to punt.

(By the way, the functional value of 270k points plus $600 is probably somewhere around $3000, give or take.)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Plot twist: The GM has replied but now want me to cancel the reservations by myself.

-----------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

I apologize for the delay in replying to your emails. We have been desperately trying to resolve the over-booking situation, but unfortunately the status remains the same.

Please note that for the below reservation numbers, no e-certificates have been issued, and the bookings are only provisional at this stage. They are not confirmed bookings as of yet.

<reservation numbers>

I would also like to bring to your attention that since 5 March 2019, our property has moved up to category 8, meaning that members will now have to redeem 85,000 points per night in order to confirm any reservations at Al Maha Desert Resort.

There is a very beautiful desert resort, Ritz Carlton Al Wadi in Ras Al Khaimah, of similar caliber to Al Maha.

I think some solutions may be one of the following:

We kindly ask you to cancel the bookings with us, and re-book with the above mentioned resort.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we greatly appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.

Kind regards,

------------------------------

It is clear that the hotel is trying to get out of its responsibility by making me voluntarily cancel the reservations...

I've asked whether 1) compensation 2) move to RC Al Wadi with full board + activities and 3) wait and see in case some other guests at Al Maha cancel are possible.

Should I reach out and try to get help from Marriott? Would that by any useful?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pete.th
Plot twist: The GM has replied but now want me to cancel the reservations by myself.

-----------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

I apologize for the delay in replying to your emails. We have been desperately trying to resolve the over-booking situation, but unfortunately the status remains the same.

Please note that for the below reservation numbers, no e-certificates have been issued, and the bookings are only provisional at this stage. They are not confirmed bookings as of yet.

<reservation numbers>

I would also like to bring to your attention that since 5 March 2019, our property has moved up to category 8, meaning that members will now have to redeem 85,000 points per night in order to confirm any reservations at Al Maha Desert Resort.

There is a very beautiful desert resort, Ritz Carlton Al Wadi in Ras Al Khaimah, of similar caliber to Al Maha.

We kindly ask you to cancel the bookings with us, and re-book with the above mentioned resort.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we greatly appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.

Kind regards,

It is clear that the hotel is trying to get out of its responsibility by making me voluntarily cancel the reservations...

I've asked whether 1) compensation 2) move to RC Al Wadi with full board + activities and 3) wait and see in case some other guests at Al Maha cancel are possible.

That is not right of the property - the onus is on them to make you whole. Piss poor customer service... Won't be staying there on upcoming trip to Dubai. Will stick with Grosvenor House
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:53 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
What bull, so a points advance reservation isn't confirmed ? Since then? If you don't show up or cancel in time then they will bill you a no-show fee, so it very much is a confirmed booking. Just that you will have to have the points by a certain date - the change of category not having an effect either on that.

If your booking is far out then just tell them to wait until people cancel their bookings, as a lot can still change.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

this thread rivals the aspen thread in terms disgrace. how low can marriott possibly sink
JBauer and innerspace like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by GVA
What bull, so a points advance reservation isn't confirmed ?
Seriously, tell that to the St. Regis Aspen guy and see what happens!
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:55 am

It does seem they are trying to strong arm you into canceling yourself so then they can say well the guest canceled the reservation not us. Personally, I would not budge and say I am not canceling my reservation I do not want it canceled or simply ignore and see what happens.

There is no way I would cancel or grant them permission to cancel without receiving something of agreeable value in return, in writing. As another poster said, a lot can change and it wouldnt be far fetched for there to be a cancellation that results in a room opening up but perhaps they have someone paying $$$ that wants to snatch up any room that becomes available.

Given this hotel has pulled some shenanigans in the past, they are not afraid to try again, which means this is not only a property issue but Marriott should be involved.

Last edited by mysterym; Mar 28, 2019 at 6:25 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pete.th

-----------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

<reservation numbers>

Kind regards,

I was right. More games by a property that has already been caught playing games before.

There is no overbooking. They simply want more money from you. Period.

Keep the reservations and refuse to cancel them.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
So disapponting reading this crap.

Even when you do have the points, certs are not sent to the hotel until just before arrival. Total BS. I know it's a beautiful property, but the management seems so hostile unless you bring a truckload of cash. Not sure I'd ever want to stay there.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:06 am

May I note that the St. Regis Aspen and the Al Maha are both former Starwood properties? I always thought that Starwood properties would never ever wrong a guest and that all bad customer service was exclusive to former Marriott properties. But I guess both properties in question would never acted this way would Starwood still run the show...
(Sorry for the rant)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The Ritz appears to be a nice property.
I would have the GM book you into a 2700 Sq Ft Villa, Cover your meals and activities and be done with it.

Do not cancel yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.