Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien New York, Central Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien New York, Central Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by matravelguy
I tried this property for a recent stay despite the negative reviews. The negative reviews are justified.

Location is fine, if you need to be in the area. It's literally next door to the old Parker Meridien (now Parker Hyatt).

Elite treatment is inconsistent at best and definitely lacking. When I checked in, the front desk agent proactively explained that their restaurant isn't set up yet so they can't offer breakfast, but they'll automatically give me the 1000 points and an extra 1000 for the trouble. On the other hand, the agent next to him said absolutely nothing about the welcome gift to the person checking in next to me until the guest asked about the Platinum breakfast benefit. Other Agent said that they don't have breakfast so he'll just have to get points - no apology and no offer of the extra 1000 points even though I'm pretty sure that guy heard my check-in agent offer it. It's bizarre to me that two workers literally standing next to each other are offering such different approaches.

And ... they are offering a "Stay for Breakfast" rate tonight. If they don't have a restaurant "set up," how are they offering that rate?
Did you involve the elite guarantee?

They don't have an exception to the program rules. The GM looks to be an experienced LM GM who worked in one of the Boston properties (that seems to have mixed reviews as well). The property is operated by M&R Hotel Management, which has 29 properties: https://www.mrhotelgroup.com/history/

It's too easy for them to coordinate someplace for breakfast if they want to ...if enough people ask for the $100, they'll expedite it!

As for the inconsistent service, MR mainly operates Hampton/Hyatt Place/Residence Inn type properties in NYC. I wouldn't be surprised if they are moving staff between properties.

Additionally, they are offering a "Stay for Breakfast" rate tonight plus they posted today in response to one of the reviews that "we do have the restaurant at the hotel and offer 24 hours of room service." So, its clear they could offer breakfast, but have chosen to ignore the program requirements.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jul 4, 2019 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Additionally, they are offering a "Stay for Breakfast" rate tonight plus they posted today in response to one of the reviews that "we do have the restaurant at the hotel and offer 24 hours of room service." So, its clear they could offer breakfast, but have chosen to ignore the program requirements.
And it's by now pretty clear that Marriott won't require them to comply. Chalk up another win for renegade property thumbing its nose at the published program rules.
Tanic and markko like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Kacee
Chalk up another win for renegade property thumbing its nose at the published program rules.
I'm sure "The Le Meridien NYC team" will be back any day now to allay our concerns.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:12 am

This cant be good. Room choices and point values seems to be updated.

My reservation has also been updated. Despite booking a 35k award with a 35k certificate, my reservation now shows its a 50k point award online. And a 35k certificate was attached at time of booking.
Also my confirmation email says "Guest room, 1 King, Central Park view" but the reservation online now shows "European Style Cozy King, Guest room, 1 King"

For my date in September

Available rooms in escalating price
====================
Cozy King, 250 sq ft
European Style Cozy King, 250 sq ft
Manhattan Style Cozy King, 250 sq ft
Junior Suite, city view, 350 sq ft
1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofa bed, Central Park view, 500 sq ft

Available for Points
================
European Style Cozy King, 50k
Cozy King, 50k

With the reviews and other posts on here, I highly doubt I will relieve anything with a central park view when I check in. I am also wondering what the difference between a European cozy room vs a Manhattan cozy room would be.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:24 am

Did you involve the elite guarantee?
I did not. I wasn't that interested in breakfast anyway and thought their extra 1000 points offer was a fair compromise even if it wasn't in strict compliance with the terms. In retrospect I probably should have and won't be as forgiving next time.

Yes - just to be clear, they told me that they hadn't set up their contract with the in-house restaurant yet. They did not say that the restaurant is entirely non-operational. Presumably if they have a breakfast inclusive rate, they have set up some sort of contract, so this doesn't do much to save them, but I don't want people to think they told me the restaurant was closed entirely.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LUVs_2_Fly
My reservation has also been updated. Despite booking a 35k award with a 35k certificate, my reservation now shows its a 50k point award online.
And it's showing as a Category 6 hotel on the rewards website (used to be a Category 5).

Your existing reservation/points level should be honored.

They obviously didn't think much about Bonvoy benefits as part of the Viceroy transition plan (massive understatement.)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
And it's showing as a Category 6 hotel on the rewards website (used to be a Category 5).

Your existing reservation/points level should be honored.

They obviously didn't think much about Bonvoy benefits as part of the Viceroy transition plan (massive understatement.)
I assume it would be honored, but the change in category like this would normally make me think I got a deal. However the reviews continue to be horrific sounding. I just booked other options for my trip, Renaissance 57 and 1717 Broadway (tallest hotel in north america). Lounge and Breakfast dont matter to me as a Bonvoy Gold. But avoiding a small worn out dirty room at a hotel having serious service misses and a hard time handling a Marriott transition might just make sense here.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I guess no breakfast and crappy rooms and service is now a reason for an increase in category! I think the only solution to that problem is for people to avoid the place like the plague until the issues are resolved and the place is renovated.
Tanic, EuropeanPete and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:42 am

I assume it would be honored, but the change in category like this would normally make me think I got a deal. However the reviews continue to be horrific sounding. I just booked other options for my trip, Renaissance 57 and 1717 Broadway (tallest hotel in north america). Lounge and Breakfast dont matter to me as a Bonvoy Gold. But avoiding a small worn out dirty room at a hotel having serious service misses and a hard time handling a Marriott transition might just make sense here.
Agreed. I have a 7-night travel package booked for October --- I've been watching with alarm the transition into the Marriott Bonvoy program.

Perhaps the Harvard Business School will use it in the future as a case study of "what not to do" in a hospitality setting.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by matravelguy
I did not. I wasn't that interested in breakfast anyway and thought their extra 1000 points offer was a fair compromise even if it wasn't in strict compliance with the terms. In retrospect I probably should have and won't be as forgiving next time.

Yes - just to be clear, they told me that they hadn't set up their contract with the in-house restaurant yet. They did not say that the restaurant is entirely non-operational. Presumably if they have a breakfast inclusive rate, they have set up some sort of contract, so this doesn't do much to save them, but I don't want people to think they told me the restaurant was closed entirely.
I understand but they obviously have set up a contract with the in-house restaurant. Otherwise, they would (a) not be offering a stay for breakfast rate or (b) be offering room service.

However, M&R Hospitality has made the decision that they want the value of being part of the Marriott system with all the Bonvoyists without the cost. Until people start asking for the $100 guarantee, they'll get away with it. As far as I can recall, the only properties who have an exception from offering breakfast during the weekday are the Cosmopolitan and the Atlantis. Those properties obviously are quite different. 20 or so other properties have an exception for weekends when the lounge is closed.
dgreen12 and markko like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

"Guest room, 1 King, Central Park view" but the reservation online now shows "European Style Cozy King, Guest room, 1 King"
"cozy" sounds like marketing-speak for "the tiniest room in the entire hotel"
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"cozy" sounds like marketing-speak for "the tiniest room in the entire hotel"
In New York a cozy room is what you and I might call a cupboard.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

In New York a cozy room is what you and I might call a cupboard.
+1

There are other NY properties that have "cozy" rooms. That's honest advertising and gives info up front when people make reservations.

OTOH, I don't see any notice on the reservation page that the hotel claims to be exempt from providing program benefits.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

An employee has been replying to the negative property reviews on Marriott.com (including a reply that was posted on July 4, 2019 that indicates guest rooms won't be renovated until "early next year.")

I think it's time to look for a new use of my seven-night certificate.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:27 am

FWIW - Bonvoy lurker forwarded my post to my Ambassador who was quickly able to refund my SNA (that had gone unconfirmed, but never credited back) and also issued me a $100 Marriott gift card due to the lack of breakfast and continued insistence from the staff that breakfast was not an option there and the Bonvoy T&C were wrong...

Thanks Ambassador.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.