Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know when the sweep for LTPP will be happening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Current Status of the Grandfathering Sweep to Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite / Lifetime Titanium Elite

As of 1/26 Members are reporting a SWEEP HAS OCCURRED LTPPE/LTitaniumE. Some have reported discrepancies between app and website still.
A sweep has also occurred of LTP qualifying from previous LTG on legacy rules.

Request: Please DO NOT post asking if the above has occurred or advising all of us that nothing has changed. Please continue reading this wiki for updates.

If you have legitimately been swept and your website account shows that you have truly been grandfathered to Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, then yes please do add a post with this information with useful details for others and this wiki will then be updated accordingly with your information.
Print Wikipost

Does anyone know when the sweep for LTPP will be happening?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
A lot of folks here who like to live on the edge.
Danger is my middle name... Anything more than the minimum to pass means you overstudied!
damon88, margarita girl and rny321 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
It seems that there is very little coordination between what IT is currently doing and other parts of the corporation,IT seem to be doing their own race.

My guess is that a welcome email to LTers will occur after the launch of Bonvoy.

When it comes to to double counting 2018 years I had 3 nights YTD on the 18 Aug and ended the year with 90+ nights (50+ nights at SPG brands) and I remember that the app was tracking my P and PP renewal during the 2nd half of 2018 so I definitely should earn one P year for 2018.

I think what MAR has lost most in this merger is the trust from some of their most loyal and profitable customers otherwise we would not been having this discussion of potential claw backs after almost 6M after system was officially declared stable, worrying that our 2018 activity would be ignored ... In my opinion this could have been mitigated with more communication about what was going on ... I suspect that one of the reasons for the lack of communication is that that senior management had very poor visibility what was really going. They either did not understand or they did not bothered to find out ... In any event a very low mark for senior management at least for the optics visa vi their customers ...

Anyhow I think they can still salvage it if Bonvoy becomes like SPG 2.0 which at least I think they want to it to be.... get suite upgrade pool enforced, clarify the breakfast benefit and lounge access, i.e. reduce the wiggle room for properties to sidestep the actual T&C. Stop the practice to force properties to remove extra benefits offered to P+ ...

Last edited by X-ON; Jan 29, 2019 at 3:22 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Folks, stop giving Marriott ideas by posting on here how Marriott screwed up the maths.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm not sure that we'll actually get a "congrats!" note from Marriott...this is the same Marriott that couldn't be bothered to send them out when you hit Platinum each year (can't speak for the other levels)

SPG sent it about 5 minutes after your Plat-qualifying stay/night posted...
jn in ca likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm not sure that we'll actually get a "congrats!" note from Marriott...this is the same Marriott that couldn't be bothered to send them out when you hit Platinum each year (can't speak for the other levels)

SPG sent it about 5 minutes after your Plat-qualifying stay/night posted...
I received emails from Marriott, at least in 2014 and 2017. (I either didn't in the other years or I threw them away.) I know this seems hard to believe, but Marriott really was a different company as far as customer focus went. Given the current state of affairs, I'm not expecting an email this year.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Danger is my middle name... Anything more than the minimum to pass means you overstudied!
Congratulations! Although I had more than 2MM MR points, I intended to barely cross the 750 night mark for combined nights. Instead, I unexpectedly received 45 lifetime nights for having one personal and two business cards plus credit for multiple rooms which put me well over 750. Too bad additional nights for multiple credit cards and rooms aren't likely to be added to this year's totals.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Sweep occurred for me.
Nights: 1324
Years as Platinum: 15

Website and App correctly reflecting LTPP. Color me shocked! ^
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I was a bit nervous as I was just over the line, but sweep happened and I am correctly LTPPE:

Combined Nights 754
MR Points 2,005,800
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Folks, stop giving Marriott ideas by posting on here how Marriott screwed up the maths.
OK, but database interpretation is clearly having issue when I see this....

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 28

Hopefully the routines that determine status are better constructed.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, but database interpretation is clearly having issue when I see this....

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 28

Hopefully the routines that determine status are better constructed.
My sense is that they are having real trouble figuring out whose years are double counted and why. It’s easier to look at individual cases. But when you need to run a very complex query in a badly designed and integrated relational database, you are not always able to find the answer. Sometimes, a question that was not initially known when the database was designed cannot be answered by the dababase. I think this is why they are struggling.

It makes sense for Marriott to call it quits and stop fiddling with the database because clawback can cause harm to other people. For example, if someone is concerned about having 28 LT years, would you rather see you have 9 years after a sweep knowing that they have erroneously clawbacked more years than they should? Would you enjoy calling and emailing to no avail if that happens? Be careful what you ask for.

Another issue about this fiasco is the lack of transparency. Status.marriott.com says one thing (which was that all LT status was correct back in September) and the IT is doing another. Marriott Management should have the IT under control. Remember this incompetence is upsetting their supposedly their most valued customers. But I guess Marriott no longer cares given their current size and they know most of the members have nowhere else to go, notwithstanding all of the complaints.

Last edited by naumank; Jan 29, 2019 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by naumank
It makes sense for Marriott to call it quits and stop fiddling with the database because clawback can cause harm to other people. For example, if someone is concerned about having 28 LT years, would you rather see you have 9 years after a sweep knowing that they have erroneously clawbacked more years than they should? Would you enjoy calling and emailing to no avail if that happens? Be careful what you ask for.
There's already precedent for this sort of thing, actually. At one point last year Marriott was saying that they'd double counted LT nights during a period of time (can't recall the exact details). My account never reflected this alleged over counting, yet when the claw-back script was executed my account was docked by something like a few dozen LT nights. I still remained over a thousand night and there was so much nonsense going on that I never pursued it (and the only reason I even considered doing so was to just make a point that the mistake was real and that it was potentially harmful to others without so much of a safety buffer).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Quick update - thanks to Lurker my case is now being evaluated and I've received email correspondence. Will keep all posted.

Note - someone I think misinterpreted my 9 years as saying not counting 2018. I'm frankly not sure where 9 plat years came from. I've been plat in Ritz Carlton every year since 2012 (so 7 years including last year) and had at least 6 years platinum for SPG (I haven't looked beyond that, it might be more). So the 9 is frankly confusing.

Fortunately looks like I'm in the minority (most people's seem good).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by naumank
My biggest concern is Marriott IT can’t do math correctly. Overcounting doesn’t really do much harm to anyone but incorrect math in clawback could potentially harm people who have really achieved the LT level. I think everyone should be concerned about such possibility.
I disagree. Overcounting hurts everyone who truly earned LTPP based on accurate information. Many of the associated published benefits (upgrades) are zero sum, so if people are given LTPP in error, the ones who really earned it will lose upgrades as a result. Moreover, if the program has far more LTPPs than were anticipated and used in the calculations, longer term we can expect our other LTPP benefits (extra points earnings, for example) to be enhanced away or otherwise devalued.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I just noticed my status changed to LTPPE recently, both on the Website and App. It was Lifetime Platinum Elite the previous time I checked.
The Nights count is correct at 1,661.
But Platinum Years is not correct, as it says 9 years and should be 10 (achieved during 2018) - I suppose the years count will be updated soon.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. Overcounting hurts everyone who truly earned LTPP based on accurate information. Many of the associated published benefits (upgrades) are zero sum, so if people are given LTPP in error, the ones who really earned it will lose upgrades as a result. Moreover, if the program has far more LTPPs than were anticipated and used in the calculations, longer term we can expect our other LTPP benefits (extra points earnings, for example) to be enhanced away or otherwise devalued.
Did you have an issue with Marriott extending "light" platinum status to members in previous years? How many people benefited from the double counting of LT nights to reach LTPP? I assume it's a minuscule percentage. Then you (LTPP) will be competing with regular PP members anyway which I assume is a much bigger number than LTPP. So the impact to you will be unnoticeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.