Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
yeah, that’s the answer when one already is halfway to their goal
If they cheat you now, what you expecting in future ?
I have this same situation hung up on 9 years from 2019 and stop asking, next my stay in 2022 at Phuket 7nights in Marriott network and 10nights in Rosewood hotel. Sorry, Bonvoy.
UA-NYC and samosa like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by HHQX888
I have this same situation hung up on 9 years from 2019 and stop asking, next my stay in 2022 at Phuket 7nights in Marriott network and 10nights in Rosewood hotel. Sorry, Bonvoy.
So skip Marriott altogether… there are many other options in Phuket. Oh wait, you are still Plat+ since 2019. Better yet, call up Marriott and tell them to shove your membership to heck and be done with Marriott. Oh wait, you are so close.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Södermalm
No, they say that they do not have the ability to see any records in their system prior to 2012.
I have been a Marriott (and before the merger SPG) Silver or higher every year since well before 2012. My lifetime counter on the app says I have 2 years. I hadn’t looked at it in a while, but I’d shown in the app as crossing the 5 year threshold for LTS years ago. Now, they won’t budge for me. I don’t think a lack of pre-2012 records is the (only) issue.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HHQX888
I have this same situation hung up on 9 years from 2019 and stop asking, . . .
Join the crowd.

I am also less than 50 nights from 600 lifetime.

I have responded by putting all our (joint) stays in my wife's name. She has 2 years of Platinum, and is less than 20 nights from Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Silver Elite.

Maybe some day I will get a Hilton Aspire AmEx Card.

The random or persistent failures of Marriott information technology (IT) are part of the adventure and excitement.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by Södermalm
I am an Ambassador and have been trying for many months to get Marriott to correctly credit me as a Lifetime Platinum.

Marriott currently lists me as having 8 years as a Platinum member, but they are missing a number of years from my count that would put me past the Lifetime Platinum line (I have enough nights to qualify).

When I asked for a complete breakdown of the count, it emerged that they could not see any of my SPG Platinum years before 2012 and were only counting my more recent years.

I sent them proof with emails showing my SPG Platinum status for a few years before 2012, but after opening a case they eventually just sent the same canned response with the results of their "research," without even acknowledging the proof that I sent whatsoever.

The impression I get from dealing with Marriott is that they just don't care at all, no matter how much you spend. It is such a sharp contrast from the old SPG days.
Just qualified for AMB, first time ever. I did have 307 EQN for 2021.

Suddenly my years as Platinum went up from 8 to 9.

It had been 8 for 2 years. I have no idea why. Marriott's way of counting of life time years as Plat is a mystery to me.

​​​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
Just qualified for AMB, first time ever. I did have 307 EQN for 2021.

Suddenly my years as Platinum went up from 8 to 9.

It had been 8 for 2 years. I have no idea why. Marriott's way of counting of life time years as Plat is a mystery to me.
This is a feature of the Lifetime programme. If you move up a category then you get the Lifetime year increment at lower levels. If you simply maintain your category then you don't. Many posts similar to yours upthread confirming this feature.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
So skip Marriott altogether… there are many other options in Phuket. Oh wait, you are still Plat+ since 2019. Better yet, call up Marriott and tell them to shove your membership to heck and be done with Marriott. Oh wait, you are so close.
Yes so close, but my point of view on Marriott is different now, if they cheat members now with this gifted years of statuses. I expecting changes of LT rules next year or two years when 'covid' brake will be released. I don't have time to study telephone book of Bonvoy rules when, in which case I can do ...
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When should the number of years update?

It says I have 7 years of Gold or higher, which might be accurate, but I don't care, because for Gold, it's all I need.

But it says I have 1 year as Platinum.

I earned Titanium last year (that's 1, right?). I'm Titanium this year (that's 2, right?). I've qualified for Titanium next year (so I assume that will be 3, but I don't expect that to show up yet).

Or do I not get a year of Platinum because I've only been Titanium in 2021? Because that would make no sense.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

It says I have 7 years of Gold or higher, which might be accurate, but I don't care, because for Gold, it's all I need.

I earned Titanium last year (that's 1, right?). I'm Titanium this year (that's 2, right?). I've qualified for Titanium next year (so I assume that will be 3, but I don't expect that to show up yet).

Or do I not get a year of Platinum because I've only been Titanium in 2021? Because that would make no sense.
Titanium years aren't explicitly counted on your account. There is no longer such thing as qualifying for Lifetime Titanium so they don't count the years on your account. But, clearly, for each Titanium year you will get a Lifetime Platinum year increment.

Regarding your actual count, well, as you'll glean from reading this thread there's a lot of confusion and anger over Marriott's increment of Lifetime Years specifically from the qualifying year of 2020 and so I wouldn't waste much time trying to make sense of it. But let's try to... From what you've said, you have a current count of 1 Lifetime Platinum year which you qualified for in 2020 (as Titanium). This increment count would align with others who report getting the increment on their accounts at the moment they move up an elite category (from Gold to Platinum/Titanium in 2020 in your case) and with Marriott's controversial claim to have incremented everyone's qualifying Lifetime years for 2020 in July 2020 (which they didn't but it doesn't matter because you got it). You have re-qualified as Platinum/Titanium in 2021 (this year) and this increment *should* appear on your account early 2022 if all goes according to plan along with the rest of us. You are qualified as Platinum/Titanium throughout 2022 but you will have to re-qualify as Platinum/Titanium in 2022 to get a third increment applied early 2023.

From what you've written, I think that explains your scenario and your count is correct given what we are experiencing with these Lifetime counts. Your blood pressure will suffer if you spend too long on this topic though and I'd advise you to just enjoy the hotels you're staying in without thinking too much about what's going on with your account on the back end.
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Titanium years aren't explicitly counted on your account. There is no longer such thing as qualifying for Lifetime Titanium so they don't count the years on your account. But, clearly, for each Titanium year you will get a Lifetime Platinum year increment.

Regarding your actual count, well, as you'll glean from reading this thread there's a lot of confusion and anger over Marriott's increment of Lifetime Years specifically from the qualifying year of 2020 and so I wouldn't waste much time trying to make sense of it. But let's try to... From what you've said, you have a current count of 1 Lifetime Platinum year which you qualified for in 2020 (as Titanium). This increment count would align with others who report getting the increment on their accounts at the moment they move up an elite category (from Gold to Platinum/Titanium in 2020 in your case) and with Marriott's controversial claim to have incremented everyone's qualifying Lifetime years for 2020 in July 2020 (which they didn't but it doesn't matter because you got it). You have re-qualified as Platinum/Titanium in 2021 (this year) and this increment *should* appear on your account early 2022 if all goes according to plan along with the rest of us. You are qualified as Platinum/Titanium throughout 2022 but you will have to re-qualify as Platinum/Titanium in 2022 to get a third increment applied early 2023.

From what you've written, I think that explains your scenario and your count is correct given what we are experiencing with these Lifetime counts. Your blood pressure will suffer if you spend too long on this topic though and I'd advise you to just enjoy the hotels you're staying in without thinking too much about what's going on with your account on the back end.
Thanks for that. It's a little confusing though. If I qualify for Plat/Tit in 2020 and 2021, then I've been Plat/Tit in 2020, 2021, and 2022. But that only counts as 2 years as Platinum, not 3?

The phrasing is "10 years as Platinum", and I will have been Platinum for 3 years (2020, 2021, 2022) assuming I never stay at another Marriott property, even though I only qualified in two years.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:12 pm

Thanks for that. It's a little confusing though. If I qualify for Plat/Tit in 2020 and 2021, then I've been Plat/Tit in 2020, 2021, and 2022. But that only counts as 2 years as Platinum, not 3?

The phrasing is "10 years as Platinum", and I will have been Platinum for 3 years (2020, 2021, 2022) assuming I never stay at another Marriott property, even though I only qualified in two years.
There's some debate over this as Marriott's apparently changed the T&Cs regarding the count. In the olden days, SPG counted qualifying years and its IT worked correctly so you had to qualify or re-qualify in a year to get the increment (which was applied upon qualification) even though you were then qualified throughout the subsequent year. Both the T&Cs and IT were aligned with this policy. It worked. It was clear.

However, and I admit I cannot be bothered to look it up, it's been reported here that the T&Cs have changed recently that both the qualifying year and the subsequent qualified year now count for Lifetime status effectively handing out an additional qualifying year to your Lifetime count journey. If this is implemented correctly in the IT (big, huge, enormous "if") then you will only see this in a year that you're qualified as Platinum but you do not re-quality. Your count today at 1 is still correct and your count when 2021 is incremented early 2022 at 2 will still be correct. But if you stay no nights in 2022 then you may get another increment early in 2023. Give it a go and report back. Many of us near the magic number of 10 for Lifetime Platinum are playing it safe and ensuring we re-qualify each year to guarantee the increment (I say this with a dry, hollow, laugh because many of us didn't get an increment for 2020 applied to our counts for... reasons).
SPN Lifer, HPN-HRL and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The utter capriciousness and wild, random implementation of the way Marriott information technology (IT) counts years for purposes of attaining Lifetime Platinum Elite status is part of the "charm" and excitement of participating in this marketing ("loyalty") program.

Perhaps they are hoping we will forget 2020 ever existed.

Beaucoup Bonv°y! 😍
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Save all your emails inviting you to choose your 50 night benefit. Once you have 10 of those, you will have 10 yrs of Plat status. (Can’t remember which FTer suggested this, but great idea!)
SPN Lifer and JfromTheBay like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Coincidently just chatting with my wife about LT Platinum and she thinks that there 'should not be so many'.

I would say there are more than she would expect - does anyone have a good guesstimate how many people have the Lifetime Platinum?

D
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: Binvoy Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Lifetime Status will be updated after Covid-19 policy expires

I had just called to request a lifetime status update. The representative I got online knew right away on what I was after. He explained that since the Covid-19 policy was put in place in early 2020, lifetime status has not been uploaded for all members. The current Covid-19 policy will run through February 2022, at that time, our lifetime status should be updated....

Anyone else got this explanation? Guess we shall see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.