Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

A little confused about the new program. Wondering is 4pm checkout guaranteed or based on availability? I am a premier platinum at a Marriott property in Miami Beach and they wouldn’t honor my 4pm checkout request citing its based on availability. Just wondering...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by xkr0p
A little confused about the new program. Wondering is 4pm checkout guaranteed or based on availability? I am a premier platinum at a Marriott property in Miami Beach and they wouldn’t honor my 4pm checkout request citing its based on availability. Just wondering...
The best place to look for answers to questions such as this is in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. For most benefits, Platinum Premier Elite has the same benefits as Platinum Elite. There are additional benefits for Platinum Premier Elite, but the late check-out benefit is the same.
v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
It’s gauranteed 4pm unless at a resort or convention hotel. I’ve had to press a couple hotels for 4pm - a few have tried to only give 2pm, but reluctantly give in when pressed that it’s actually guaranteed. Other hotels are just great about it. I’m sure it can cause room management problems if the hotel is not with it, but that’s not the customers problem. I’m not sure what I’d do if I had to press harder. If they really want/need a platinum or above out before 4pm, I feel like offering points or cash should happen (and not be forced). I mean what happens if one were to have a 12pm Checkout, but the hotel said sorry we’re behind on cleaning, can you leave at 9am? “Uh, maybe, but not unless you refund my room rate and give me some points”.

We’ll see if this SPG legacy benefit lasts because I can see pushback from the hotels. Guarantee is very strong wording. It’s the elite benefit that I now value the most and will keep me loyal to Marriott especially on personal travel. Others might feel differently. Now that ‘50 night elite’ isn’t readily available to all with a credit card like with spg, maybe the numbers work in our favor in that ‘50 night’ elites have been significantly pared down.

As for what is a convention/resort hotel, I’m always a bit confused (outside of having resort in the name).. I did just find this website and am wondering if it’s indeed a inclusive list:

https://www.marriott.com/convention-...etwork/home.mi
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by goldenbear
As for what is a convention/resort hotel, I’m always a bit confused (outside of having resort in the name).. I did just find this website and am wondering if it’s indeed a inclusive list:
It's easy to determine whether a Marriott property is officially a Hotel or Resort. When you bring up each hotel's website at Marrriott.com, a line at (or near) the top will show something like this:

Marriott.com / Autograph Collection / Honolulu / Hotel
Marriott.com / The Luxury Collection / Honolulu / Resort
Marriott.com / Courtyard / Honolulu / Hotel

In the examples above, the first and third (The Laylow and the Courtyard Waikiki) are officially classified as Hotels, while the second (The Royal Hawaiian) is officially classified as a Resort.

There are properties classified as a Resort that don't have Resort in their name, such as the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, so you cannot go by the name. However, in this case, the hotel's website at Marrriott.com shows:

Marriott.com / Renaissance Hotels / Orlando / Resort

If a hotel claims to be a Resort for late check-out purposes, but is officially a Hotel, the hotel website should ultimately settle that discussion.

I'm not aware of a similar, foolproof way to identify Convention properties. I don't think the quoted website provides a definitive list (but I could be wrong). It's easy to consider properties such as the new Marriott Marquis at McCormick Place in Chicago as a Convention hotel. And it's easy to consider that a suburban Courtyard with a single 400-square-foot meeting room and no convention center for many miles around is not a Convention hotel. But there's a large middle ground of hotels with substantial meeting facilities or with close proximity to a convention center.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 16, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some point, the Starwood Lurker posted a list of all Starwoods that were officially classified as resorts and convention hotels (for the guaranteed late checkout and perhaps other purposes).

There were many surprises, including some places that I would have thought were considered convention hotels but officially were not.

IIRC there was also a discussion about whether having the word convention or conference in the title meant that the hotel was officially convention property and whether the absence of such words means that it isn't a convention property, but I don't remember the conclusion.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador; AA Exec Plat; UA Silver
It's actually quite simple if you use the Hotel Directory Search: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi

(This page can also be found by navigating from the "Find & Reserve" menu to the "Browse by Destination" option.)

If you choose the "Filter" option, you can filter by "Convention Hotels" and/or "Resorts" to see which properties are officially classified as such.
KRSW and Segments like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
The best place to look for answers to questions such as this is in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. For most benefits, Platinum Premier Elite has the same benefits as Platinum Elite. There are additional benefits for Platinum Premier Elite, but the late check-out benefit is the same.
v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.

That’s what u originally looked up before posting this, but saw the “based upon availability”. I thought this was guaranteed (for non resorts) like mentioned but was unaware of that language.

So the hotel did use that language to only be able to offer me 2pm checkout. So I just simply used the app and searched for multiple rooms of the same type I was in and saw there was availability. So in the app I just replied saying there is wide availability of my room type so my 4pm request should be honored. They replied, apologized and then offered me 4pm. So it definitely is worth checking for yourself and calling the hotel out for not honoring this benefit when they can. I guess they just decline everyone right off the bat hoping they won’t check for themselves. Btw this was the Marriott Stanton south beach which I don’t believe is a resort? I may be wrong...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I always think it is funny how many hotels say they are a convention or resort hotel. Believe there should be strict guidelines. If I stay at a hotel often, I never have issues with 4 pm checkout.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:07 pm

Btw this was the Marriott Stanton south beach which I don’t believe is a resort? I may be wrong...
It's easy to check:

Marriott Stanton South Beach

Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Miami Beach / Resort

It's officialy a Resort.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

It's easy to check:

Marriott Stanton South Beach

Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Miami Beach / Resort

It's officialy a Resort.

Ahh now I know! Didn’t catch that using mobile. Well at least I got 4pm regardless. Can’t complain then!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by puntamita
I always think it is funny how many hotels say they are a convention or resort hotel. Believe there should be strict guidelines. If I stay at a hotel often, I never have issues with 4 pm checkout.
If they call themselves a resort, they might think that it's easier to get customers to pay resort fees.
EuropeanPete and puntamita like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......Btw this was the Marriott Stanton south beach which I don’t believe is a resort? I may be wrong...
Marriott website classifies it as a resort. Pretty much all properties in Miami Beach are considered as resorts even if just a high or mid rise.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...n-south-beach/
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they call themselves a resort, they might think that it's easier to get customers to pay resort fees.
Hotels have gotten around this by using the term Destination Fee instead of Resort Fee. In either case, any mandatory hotel-imposed fee is a slimy business practice. It's an indication that the hotel should be avoided.

A bigger issue of "Hotel vs Resort" under the old Rewards program was the exclusion of Resorts from the lounge/breakfast benefit at the five brands that otherwise provided it to qualified elite guests. That's been mitigated to a large extent under the new Loyalty Program.
getagb likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

To me, it's also slimy to call your property a resort when it genuinely doesn't have (extensive) resort facilities. Management is hoping that they can save money and also have guests both pick the property and be willing to pay more because they assume that resort facilities will be provided.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:30 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
It's easy to determine whether a Marriott property is officially a Hotel or Resort. When you bring up each hotel's website at Marrriott.com, a line at (or near) the top will show something like this:

Marriott.com / Autograph Collection / Honolulu / Hotel
Marriott.com / The Luxury Collection / Honolulu / Resort
Marriott.com / Courtyard / Honolulu / Hotel

[...]
Thanks for the tip, I never realized that! This will be helpful when looking at future properties.

FWIW, for the past few years as Marriott old gold/new platinum, I've never run into a problem asking for a late checkout (sometimes until 4pm, though many times for a time in the early afternoon).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.