FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by goldenbear
As for what is a convention/resort hotel, I’m always a bit confused (outside of having resort in the name).. I did just find this website and am wondering if it’s indeed a inclusive list:
It's easy to determine whether a Marriott property is officially a Hotel or Resort. When you bring up each hotel's website at Marrriott.com, a line at (or near) the top will show something like this:

Marriott.com / Autograph Collection / Honolulu / Hotel
Marriott.com / The Luxury Collection / Honolulu / Resort
Marriott.com / Courtyard / Honolulu / Hotel

In the examples above, the first and third (The Laylow and the Courtyard Waikiki) are officially classified as Hotels, while the second (The Royal Hawaiian) is officially classified as a Resort.

There are properties classified as a Resort that don't have Resort in their name, such as the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, so you cannot go by the name. However, in this case, the hotel's website at Marrriott.com shows:

Marriott.com / Renaissance Hotels / Orlando / Resort

If a hotel claims to be a Resort for late check-out purposes, but is officially a Hotel, the hotel website should ultimately settle that discussion.

I'm not aware of a similar, foolproof way to identify Convention properties. I don't think the quoted website provides a definitive list (but I could be wrong). It's easy to consider properties such as the new Marriott Marquis at McCormick Place in Chicago as a Convention hotel. And it's easy to consider that a suburban Courtyard with a single 400-square-foot meeting room and no convention center for many miles around is not a Convention hotel. But there's a large middle ground of hotels with substantial meeting facilities or with close proximity to a convention center.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 16, 2018 at 11:10 am