Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Angry Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Probably should have known better, all the red flags were there and I didn't listen to the sensible voice in my head that perhaps I should wait until all this IT transition had been resolved before touching my rewards bookings. I cancelled my 5 day booking at the W Taipei for New Years (100k starpoints or 300k Marriott points) in anticipation of being able to book the same room at the lower rate (40k Marriott points/nt), assuming the points would automatically be redeposited into my account. To be clear, I have not combined my two accounts yet.

Naturally, the cancellation went through without a hitch and I even received a confirmation email. But, its been 2 days and the points are still missing from my account and there is no way to book the room since Marriott won't front me the points to rebook and I don't have 200k excess points to make the booking. I've called and opened a ticket with IT and hoping that they will give me some good news, but its always painful to wait.

Also, when dealing with former SPG bookings, you are still better off calling the old phone numbers, the folks at Marriott cannot see all the details of the reservation and will need to transfer you over anyways.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickie98
Probably should have known better, all the red flags were there and I didn't listen to the sensible voice in my head that perhaps I should wait until all this IT transition had been resolved before touching my rewards bookings. I cancelled my 5 day booking at the W Taipei for New Years (100k starpoints or 300k Marriott points) in anticipation of being able to book the same room at the lower rate (40k Marriott points/nt), assuming the points would automatically be redeposited into my account. To be clear, I have not combined my two accounts yet.

Naturally, the cancellation went through without a hitch and I even received a confirmation email. But, its been 2 days and the points are still missing from my account and there is no way to book the room since Marriott won't front me the points to rebook and I don't have 200k excess points to make the booking. I've called and opened a ticket with IT and hoping that they will give me some good news, but its always painful to wait.

Also, when dealing with former SPG bookings, you are still better off calling the old phone numbers, the folks at Marriott cannot see all the details of the reservation and will need to transfer you over anyways.
You should have called SPG to ask them do a point refund manually.. People were even able to get point adjustment refunded from the bookings made at Al Maha which went from 70K? SPG pts down to only 20K. That is boatload of pts being refunded, MANUALLY handled by SPG reps.

Or at least cancel it with the human rep on the SPG side. Yes, in this case unfortunately you screwed yourself up when all the red flags are flying on everything related to the merger.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You should have called SPG to ask them do a point refund manually.. People were even able to get point adjustment refunded from the bookings made at Al Maha which went from 70K? SPG pts down to only 20K. That is boatload of pts being refunded, MANUALLY handled by SPG reps.

Or at least cancel it with the human rep on the SPG side. Yes, in this case unfortunately you screwed yourself up when all the red flags are flying on everything related to the merger.
I cancelled with a rep who was not able to get my points back...no rep on the SPG side has been able to help, and it has been 4 days
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

I had canceled an award booking on 8/18 and the rep said that points would be redeposited immediately...of course, they didn't. Then yesterday, I tried getting a points adjustment on another award booking that had gone down in price. Told the rep that I didn't want to cancel because I had a previous award cancellation that still hadn't been redeposited. Rep said that everything is live now, and there's no way for him to do a manual adjustment, so he cancels...and of course, they don't get redeposited immediately. This gets elevated to a supervisor who pretty much says they can't do anything, but she's elevated to her supervisor and that person should be calling me in the next 24-48 hours. I ask her if there's a way to get back in contact with her because she's already familiar with what happened. She says no, just call the general customer service line.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am having problems on the Marriott side.

Cancelled reservation but only credited me back the new lower number of points.
+
Cancelled reservation with Category 4 certificates - certificates never came back

Could not get through. Wrote on website on Monday and still nothing and not fixed.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by husky96821
Then yesterday, I tried getting a points adjustment on another award booking that had gone down in price. Told the rep that I didn't want to cancel because I had a previous award cancellation that still hadn't been redeposited. Rep said that everything is live now, and there's no way for him to do a manual adjustment, so he cancels...and of course, they don't get redeposited immediately.
Exact same thing happened to me. They need to really quickly get the word out to call center reps not to attempt point adjustments by canceling reservations before making new ones.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Hmm, I have a reservation this weekend and it worked for me (at least so far it looks like it worked), 42K cancelled and came back to my account and 35K was used for the new reservation (all while on the SPG plat line). So it can work...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ckendall
Hmm, I have a reservation this weekend and it worked for me (at least so far it looks like it worked), 42K cancelled and came back to my account and 35K was used for the new reservation (all while on the SPG plat line). So it can work...
I've read that if you originally made the reservation around July or earlier and then canceled subsequent to 8/18, then points are being refunded fine. However, for those reservations made in early/mid-August, they're not being refunded.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I've read that if you originally made the reservation around July or earlier and then canceled subsequent to 8/18, then points are being refunded fine. However, for those reservations made in early/mid-August, they're not being refunded.
My reservation was made in July - and still no points returend.

My guess it is more to do with timing and sequence (i.e., the relationship between the time of cancellation and the status of the old SPG account) than when the reservation was made. In other words, what was the status of the "container" (old SPG account) in relationship to the new one.

Or it can be completely random.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
My reservation was indeed made in late June,
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:39 am

On April 25, I reserved a three-night reward booking at Prince de Galles, a Category 8 property in Paris. We are leaving on our 10-year wedding anniversary trip in four days.

I have called SPG every day since August 18 and have been met with every excuse as to why they cannot refund the points difference to my account. I have attempted to escalate every time that I am met with a rejection, to no avail.

If anyone has any tips on how to get this resolved, please advise. It does not make sense for me to keep the reservation under the older, more expensive rate so I am also investigating alternatives, but it's a substantial downgrade given current availability.

Last edited by bluskey; Aug 23, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
I have the same issue. A points booking at a Westin during a peak travel period. Canceled to re-book at new lower rate, but the points didn't return to my account so I'm unable to. Even after 4 days of trying, everyone I've spoken to is somehow still helpless to do anything. Very frustrating.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Seems like we are all getting the same result, no where. I've been told it will resolve when the update is complete but I've been told there is no set timeline for this so they've just told me to wait and see. Frustrating to have so many starpoints locked up and unable to deploy them since there is no way I am paying $500+/ night to stay at the W Taipei over NYE.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by dickie98
Seems like we are all getting the same result, no where. I've been told it will resolve when the update is complete but I've been told there is no set timeline for this so they've just told me to wait and see. Frustrating to have so many starpoints locked up and unable to deploy them since there is no way I am paying $500+/ night to stay at the W Taipei over NYE.
Great to know not to mess around, as I also booked the W. Btw, I stayed at the Taipei W, it was inccreedible!!!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Sadly I am with you all. Just had to do a last minute cancellation and, of course, no sign of the nearly 200k points I am owed.

Mine wasn't showing in future reservations (I think because an upgrade cleared), although my email and rewards number were correctly tied to it. So I fear that will complicate things yet further.

Will sit tight. I am fortunate that I don't urgently need them, I feel for those who do.

What a messy week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.