Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Received my points back from a SPG reservation that was cancelled on August 19 late yesterday afternoon (8/29). Originally booked in late July. Had been in touch with SPG/Marriott via phone, twitter and email with nobody able to help (including yesterday afternoon when I was told there was no ETA on a refund).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:13 am

Still nothing for me. I was told 72 hours this morning. Comical!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
I got my points refunded on my 8/11 cancellation yesterday and was able to rebook at the lower rate as well as combine my accounts. Hope everything works out for others that are still waiting.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:04 am

Mine finally arrived at some point over night.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Still nothing here. Anyone else still waiting?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:04 am

Anyone who was able to adjust an existing SPG award and get the points difference back WITHOUT cancelling the reservation, could you please let us know what department you contacted? I have been told it can't be done, but I will continue to HUCA if I know which department is the correct one to contact. Since there is no points availability now, it is imperative that they not cancel my reservation. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:44 pm

48 hours ago, I call the SPG agent, and ask if they can cancel my point reservation (marriott hotel) and book other hotel (SPG Hotel) instantly?

He said, Yes you can, what is your confirmation number? and then he cancel my reservation, but the points didn't return to my account. He can't book me other hotel because my points didn't return.

Now i have no hotel reservation for my upcoming trip

I call again today, and the agent doesn't know about my problem

Just DM to @spgassit on twitter and they solve it under 2 hours

Last edited by seba; Sep 1, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
To Seba's post: I just DMed the Twitter handle (@spgassist) and they solved in less than 10 minutes, points now in my account. Incredible! Recommend you all do this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Another data point. Cancelled a Westin Yilan Resort stay booked by points before the merger. No points refund overnight. Called SPG just now and was told would take another 48 hours. Received a phone call from the same agent 15 min after the initial call and told the points were refunded manually already. Really impressed. So if you can't wait, just call.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:59 am
kkl

Cancelled a booking over the phone. points in account within 5 minutes
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

spgassit said to me ‘just wait’ TT

I tried talked to spgassit via twitter, but I was told as below.

“we are currently working on resolving the problem. Due to the complexity of the situation, however, we don't have an exact time frame on when points will be refunded.”

Anyone who got the points refunded let me know the way plz.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Better

I called Marriott. They transferred me to SPG. Cancelled 2 reservations. Points posted back to my account quickly. I rebooked online , at the lower rate.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
for what it's worth, I just spoke to an SPG rep, who strongly advised me not to change/cancel a reservation (happens to be at an SPG property), as points will not be refunded for about 10 days.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I called Marriott. They transferred me to SPG. Cancelled 2 reservations. Points posted back to my account quickly. I rebooked online , at the lower rate.
How long did it take for the canceled award room to show online?

One of my challenges is that I cannot book a Starwood property online. I have to call. I spoke to an agent today, wanting to do exactly as you did, knowing there was some risk. I wanted her to cancel the award and then (hopefully) rebook. She would not do it as she said the room would not come back immediately if at all.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My 2 SPG bookings (at higher pre-Aug 18 rates) were canceled on Aug 23 (and rebooked at lower post-Aug 18 rates on Aug 24). I received the refund (360K points) for the StR Bal Harbour 5 nights award booking on Tuesday. I received the refund (360K points) for the StR Bahia Beach 5 nights award booking today.

I already had received the 90 K points refunded difference for my StR San Francisco pre-Aug 18 booking higher rate and new post-Aug 18 lower rate last week (for my Aug 31 - Sept 2 stay).

I am told by my Ambassador that I will receive the refunded difference in the coming week or two for my upcoming Sept 27 stay at the StR Florence for 2 rooms (400K points refund for my 5 nights in a junior suite, and 135K points refund for my mom's 3 nights in an entry level room).

While the delay in getting points back is tedious, the arbitrage deal that I'm getting--with so many refunded points for so many lower rates at such incredible properties--is an absolute steal. I'm more than happy to give Marriott IT the time to fix this for the incredible deals I'm also enjoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.