Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jdj84
I cancelled the reso on August 19th. I combined accounts the first day that you were able to, so either the 18th or the 19th. I can't remember which day I did it.
I cancelled the 19th, and combined on the first day as well, though the combine did not work and I did it again when they reopened the ability to on the 20th or 21st I think.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
I cancelled the 19th, and combined on the first day as well, though the combine did not work and I did it again when they reopened the ability to on the 20th or 21st I think.
maybe they're doing it manually, in the order things were cancelled? Not sure how they are actually doing things, but everything seems to be a slow roll out, one person at a time. I know I got my Amex CC points posted a couple days ago, but my dad's still haven't posted.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

On some level I can understand glitches and merging things between different companies and different websites and different systems.

On the other hand I am baffled by the fact that the worlds largest hotel chain with presence and expertise all over the planet that certainly has large IT departments with the latest equipment and technology and has has been planning this for at least a couple of years hasn’t figured out a system by now.

They can certainly take your points right away so it always confuses me as to why, in 2018, things can’t be refunded right away too.

And yet, they continue to market and put forth the fact they offer great points benefits and the ability to use them with greater ease in one big happy program.

if you frame it in this fashion then maybe they should be giving you something extra back for your trouble once they get it sorted out.

I know I would if it were my company.

I think those impacted definitely need to seek something for the trouble.

In my case, I missed the opportunity to book overwater villa at St Regis maldives when it was 85k ...and I'm concerned I won't even be able to get the garden villa for my dates. Both were available when the merger happened, and I missed out because of their glitch. Not overly impressed to say the least!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:31 pm

maybe they're doing it manually, in the order things were cancelled? Not sure how they are actually doing things, but everything seems to be a slow roll out, one person at a time. I know I got my Amex CC points posted a couple days ago, but my dad's still haven't posted.
I got my CC points yesterday. I also tried a membership rewards transfer of 1k for a test, and those points transferred over in less than 24 hours, which was surprising given the cluster that is going on right now.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The problem doesn't seem to apply to new reservations. I booked and cancelled a points reservation from my SPG account today, and the points were returned immediately.

I have another pre-merger reservation that I am hesitating to cancel right now. Does anyone know if it's safe to cancel?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
The problem doesn't seem to apply to new reservations. I booked and cancelled a points reservation from my SPG account today, and the points were returned immediately.

I have another pre-merger reservation that I am hesitating to cancel right now. Does anyone know if it's safe to cancel?
I had 4 pre-merger reservations that i wanted to cancel. I screwed up and did the one on the 19th (just got the points back today), and did the other 3 a couple days ago. Those points came back as soon as I cancelled. I'd say it's fairly safe... but there could always be an exception.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:35 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic

In my case, I missed the opportunity to book overwater villa at St Regis maldives when it was 85k ...and I'm concerned I won't even be able to get the garden villa for my dates. Both were available when the merger happened, and I missed out because of their glitch. Not overly impressed to say the least!
If it is system wide, doesn't it mean no one else is getting on the deal also? So if other's can't book them as well, then it's not like some other member manage to took those rooms with points. If someone willing to paid the room with cash, there isn't much to complain.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:37 pm

Should have booked the room on a refundable cash rate, and then changed it to points after the fact.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson
If it is system wide, doesn't it mean no one else is getting on the deal also? So if other's can't book them as well, then it's not like some other member manage to took those rooms with points. If someone willing to paid the room with cash, there isn't much to complain.
It's system wide now, but there was 3 days where it was bookable for both room categories.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:44 pm

Should have booked the room on a refundable cash rate, and then changed it to points after the fact.
I've held a cash rate for over a month...the problem is agents are now saying that can only be done if there is points availability.

To make matters worse, they have 4 garden villas but have 10 available online now. So there could be 10+ hoping to do the same...not sure if they're gaming things, or what is going on.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

I would say if you could prove that you should totally write a polite and detailed letter to someone there and let them know they should give you another shot at it! I dunno how, but that is worth a stamp!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:05 pm

Just got off the phone again with them...they're going to try and sort it out tomorrow, which I've heard before...

ugh.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Just got off the phone again with them...they're going to try and sort it out tomorrow, which I've heard before...

ugh.
get it in writing. all of it.
paper trail helps your plea

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:02 pm

I received the points back for my canceled SPG award reservation. Reservation was booked on 8/9, canceled 8/18, both online. Merged accounts yesterday. Only Gold status.

However, my wife (Plat) still hasn't received points back from her canceled SPG award reservations. She had two award stays (one booked over the phone, one online) both made on 8/7. Canceled the phone reservation over the phone on 8/18 and the online reservation on 8/21. We merged her accounts a few days before I did mine.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by husky96821
I received the points back for my canceled SPG award reservation. Reservation was booked on 8/9, canceled 8/18, both online. Merged accounts yesterday. Only Gold status.

However, my wife (Plat) still hasn't received points back from her canceled SPG award reservations. She had two award stays (one booked over the phone, one online) both made on 8/7. Canceled the phone reservation over the phone on 8/18 and the online reservation on 8/21. We merged her accounts a few days before I did mine.
That's an interesting data point. It does seem they are doing them manually, but who knows how they're determining the order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.