Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What are the advantages of NOT combining accounts ?

How about keeping them separate so that each of them can get linked to a separate Chase/AMEX Marriott/SPG card and get 15 elite nights and anniversary night on each account then combine when the time is right, as in NEXT year when it will be harder to qualify for Platinum status due the disappearance of rollover and 10-elite nights benefit per booked event/meeting benefit ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
What are the advantages of NOT combining accounts ?

How about keeping them separate so that each of them can get linked to a separate Chase/AMEX Marriott/SPG card and get 15 elite nights and anniversary night on each account then combine when the time is right, as in last year when it will be harder to qualify for Platinum status due the disappearance of rollover and 10-elite nights benefit per booked event/meeting benefit ?
While this might sound enticing, you do run the risk that an audit may cause the nights over 15 (program limit) to be cancelled and that could be at a time where you have no option to recover. And Marriott may decide they no longer wish to have you as a member. Is it really worth the risk? Only you can decide.

Personally, I'm holding off combining accounts waiting for more issues to be resolved and what changes they will release that may be important to me. I am only a few nights away from LTP status in both programs and expect to become LTPP once combined.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by RogerD408
While this might sound enticing, you do run the risk that an audit may cause the nights over 15 (program limit) to be cancelled and that could be at a time where you have no option to recover. And Marriott may decide they no longer wish to have you as a member. Is it really worth the risk? Only you can decide.

Personally, I'm holding off combining accounts waiting for more issues to be resolved and what changes they will release that may be important to me. I am only a few nights away from LTP status in both programs and expect to become LTPP once combined.
I have 'plausible deniability' to argue against account termination by Marriott. I, too, can claim that I wanted to hold off from combining until all glitches are resolved, or that I was encountering errors (could be due to my "outdated" browser or corrupted cookies, who knows :P ) whenever I tried to combine accounts online.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I have 'plausible deniability' to argue against account termination by Marriott. I, too, can claim that I wanted to hold off from combining until all glitches are resolved, or that I was encountering errors (could be due to my "outdated" browser or corrupted cookies, who knows :P ) whenever I tried to combine accounts online.
I seriously doubt that will take exception to maintaining the separate accounts for now. But milking the other means to earn credit you stated that would not be available to a single account might trigger an account review and clawing back such credit.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant
... and while the [SPG] stay shows up under Activity along with all my Marriott stays, there is no Download Now link to get a pdf of the bill.
Huh- I wonder why it's not working for you? FWIW, I just had one one stay last week have the link, and same with this one well before the integration:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I still can't book SPG hotels after combining my accounts. It keeps on saying it can't find my SPG info. My only option is to make a reservation as guest and call SPG to add my number on. Anyone with or had the same issue and figure out another work around? Because Marriott/SPG doesn't seem to have a solution when I called them about it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I still can't book SPG hotels after combining my accounts. It keeps on saying it can't find my SPG info. My only option is to make a reservation as guest and call SPG to add my number on. Anyone with or had the same issue and figure out another work around? Because Marriott/SPG doesn't seem to have a solution when I called them about it.
My concern with this would be that your reservation won't have the member pricing and a lot of people are reporting pricing errors. So without a confirmation showing your price, how do you prove what it should be? SPG can't make the reservation for you if you call?

Also I'd suggest keep calling back and be nice to the reps. I called many times to fix my problems, but I actually feel sorry for them dealing with this horrible system integration. Finally one said "Yes we screwed it up, but the easiest way to fix it is to just give you the 30k points difference into your account." Still, half the time I log in one or more of my reservations are missing. And one I booked with a 7 night travel cert said it was 210,000 points when I booked and now the reservation says 135,000 points, so that makes me nervous. At least the certificate is attached.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I have the same issue. There's was a separate thread on it a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently it's a known issue, affecting anyone whose number begins with zero! Of course, there's no ETA for a fix.

(Note that based on my experience at The Westin Governor Morris, there's not much reason to worry about adding your Rewards number to an SPG reservation - unless you like a room by the dumpster that is.)
RafKa likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
(Note that based on my experience at The Westin Governor Morris, there's not much reason to worry about adding your Rewards number to an SPG reservation - unless you like a room by the dumpster that is.)
YMMV - one night stay last month, they put me in a specialty suite, one of the ones that has a 12 seat conference table
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:17 pm

Merging SPG & Marriott accounts

If one has not merged the accounts yet, are there any advantages / disadvantages to doing it sooner / later? By what date will they forcibly merge the accounts if the member has not done so?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends. For some people, it's advantageous to merge and for others, it's better to avoid merging, or at least there aren't any advantages and merging might make it harder to correct problems or still earn status under legacy rules, etc.

I would have guessed around the end of the year, but with the IT mess, this might be unrealistic.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
My new Marriot number also begins with zero. I was able to book SPG reservation on the phone app. Reservation doesn't show on My Trips as first zero was truncated, but just got email saying hotel is looking forward to our stay in a coup lo e of days. Wrote hotel and they corrected my marriott number and my status. Reservation is now showing up in my account. Good luck.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
If one has not merged the accounts yet, are there any advantages / disadvantages to doing it sooner / later? By what date will they forcibly merge the accounts if the member has not done so?
Combining your accounts makes sense if the combined numbers will garner a higher status than either one has currently. Also if you need to pool the points to book a trip coming up soon. And, lastly, if managing two separate accounts is too cumbersome. The T&Cs do state you are only allowed one account in the program, but exception is being made during this transition. Forced combination is not as straightforward as many may assume. Short of matching names, addresses, and telephone numbers, there's no direct tie between accounts. The only deadline I can see them coming up with is a final date to be able to combine ourselves and maybe stop adding the nights together. I would hope they will not drop the points. But this is all speculation at this point as it is more of many things we don't know about the new program, the least of which is what to call it!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: MYOB
Qualified by 25 Stays (All SPG) When should Plat be recognized?

Crossed 25 SPG Stays on 8/19. 2 more Stays since then (8/27). 27 total Stays (25 BIB) Stays+2 Amex card) “New” SPG/Marriott account never reflected Platinum. (But shows 17 Nights to reach 50 Plat). Combined accounts one week ago, kept “New” number. Still shows Gold and 17 Nights to reach Plat.
Have qualified under the 2018 only rules for Plat by 25 SPG Stays. Cannot find anywhere on the website WHEN status should be granted. Should it be now, after qualifying threshold is crossed, or Jan 1st?
SPG would recognize status during year once threshold was crossed. Combined program provide no guidance on the website (that I can find)
Either way this should be good until Feb 28, 2020?
Would [email protected] be the best place to contact? Don’t wish to bother the Lurkers unless they want to answer here.

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:19 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by xzh445
Crossed 25 SPG Stays on 8/19. 2 more Stays since then (8/27). 27 total Stays (25 BIB) Stays+2 Amex card) “New” SPG/Marriott account never reflected Platinum. (But shows 17 Nights to reach 50 Plat). Combined accounts one week ago, kept “New” number. Still shows Gold and 17 Nights to reach Plat.
Have qualified under the 2018 only rules for Plat by 25 SPG Stays. Cannot find anywhere on the website WHEN status should be granted. Should it be now, after qualifying threshold is crossed, or Jan 1st?
Either way this should be good until Feb 28, 2019?

I don’t know when your status will be updated, but it will be valid until Feb 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.