Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador and LTP
Originally Posted by brobab
Upon taking a look at the current Marriott website. Review the elite benefits page. There is absolutely no difference between Plat Premier Elite and Platinum except for the bonus points are at 75% on PPE and 50% on P. Also a 48 hour guarantee. The 50/75 would likely occur anyway as a discrete visit threshold. As far as upgrades - these have been notoriously stingy at Marriott properties anyway, (SPG - different story.)

I am Lifetime Plat, (now to be lifetime PPE). I have routinely bumped back and forth between Plat and PP under the old Marriott system and can tell you there was absolutely no difference in service or upgrades. 99% of the properties did not even know what PP was anyway.

My guess is that the bonus points can be worked out later, so unless you absolutely have to have a 48 hour guarantee, (which by the way is usually void because of blackouts) - this seems to be all about status perception vs status reality anyway.

FWIW - my log in status was Platinum and is now showing PPE.
For the most part you are correct, but some properties did recognize PP. Lodge in Sonoma is an example. I was always greased with the compliment of being PP. Often upgraded to the suite in the main building facing the pool. If not I would get a cabin room. A few other properties also recognized the difference, but overall it was not well communicated. I have been PP for over 10 years now and hope to have a separation for the people who spend a couple hundred nights in hotels every year.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If it turns out that LTPP actually just gives Platinum and it's little more than a meaningless label, then I'm wondering why the folks at Marriott Rewards went to such lengths to emphasise that they were leaving the door open to LTPP qualification till end of 2018 and that SPG LTPs could also get it.

I mean, considering all the commotion it caused among SPG LTPs, etc., if LTPP has no tangible effect on future status/benefits then why even bother to include it as a separate status in the new program?

I've got no particular skin in this game, but that kind of logic seems very odd to me. At this moment, I'd still expect LTPP to have some meaning and hope that those who are showing LTPP alongside Platinum Elite will eventually get current Platinum Premier, in the same way 75+ nighters should have.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What word? You keep saying Marriott is not living up to its word but never point to that word, only your assumptions. What Marriott states and what you think are two different things. Marriott has never stated LTPP gets PP benefits. You have assumed that. We have all seen the Bad News Bears and understand why you do not believe assumptions.

There are published terms and conditions, which is the contract under which we get benefits. When there is a written contract, only what is in the contract matters. Your version of common sense, your flapping gums or typing fingers cannot add or change anything in the contract.

The contract does not provide PP benefits for anyone (section shown below) the way it provides S/G/P benefits. You cannot make up contract terms because you want them to be there. If it is not in the contract they do not exist. That's the point of having a contract, neither party can just make stuff up that does not exist. Despite your using meaningless and cutesy terms like FUD, the way you threw around "magical" when you were having the same tantrums about Gold not counting as Plat long after that rule was published and clarified, you still have not provided a single cite from the terms or from the site or the marketing materials which provide back-up to the contract being wrong. The terms match what is on the site as far as the benefits are concerned. It is understandable that you think the contract says something else, but unless the contract states why you want it to state, it does not. Your make-believe does not magically create a contract term. Your repeating something over and over but not being able to cite a single source does not magically create a contract term.

Rather than bury your head in the sand and groundlessly telling everyone this is wrong maybe you could provide a single cite showing it is wrong, although in three days you have clearly been unable to do that and, instead, are spouting insults. The focus should be on getting Marriott to give a clear, consistent answer and maybe getting them to change the terms to include higher benefits, but to act as though everyone but you is wrong (the marketing people, the loyalty people who wrote the terms, the CSRs many of us have spoken to, the programmers) when they each tell a consistent story and you cannot point to a single statement from Marriott to back you up gets us nowhere.
This doesn't make sense at all. The absence of LTPP benefits in the T&C is certainly because they are not planning to offer LTPP in the future (it is a grandfathered status only). And some bad trained employee and supervisor are not aware of the status at all so they are saying it doesn't really exist (looks like some aren't even aware of the program changes !). Those issues should be fixed in the following weeks...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador and LTP
CJKatl is correct saying this is not a published benefit. However, we all assume Lifetime Platinum Premier means that you are Platinum Premier for Life and get the benefits of Platinum Premier.

CJKatl is implying Lifetime Platinum Premier could mean you are Platinum for Life not Platinum Premier for Life. Does not make sense to me.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjj325
CJKatl is correct saying this is not a published benefit. However, we all assume Lifetime Platinum Premier means that you are Platinum Premier for Life and get the benefits of Platinum Premier.

CJKatl is implying Lifetime Platinum Premier could mean you are Platinum for Life not Platinum Premier for Life. Does not make sense to me.
The FUD being created is beyond unnecessary at this point...things are already bad enough right now with not being able to log in, missing reservations, missing points, combination issues, incorrect LT nights, etc.

Arguing that LTPP isn't going to get PP (based on not-yet-updated T&Cs and "marketing materials" which of course wouldn't mention LTPP going forward, as that can't be earned going forward in the "new program") is the height of intellectual dishonesty.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If it turns out that LTPP actually just gives Platinum and it's little more than a meaningless label, then I'm wondering why the folks at Marriott Rewards went to such lengths to emphasise that they were leaving the door open to LTPP qualification till end of 2018 and that SPG LTPs could also get it.
Originally SPG LTP 750+ did not get LTPP. When it was pointed out that was not fair, Marriott allowed them the status, but obviously they originally were not thinking LTPP was meaningful enough to care. Members caused the commotion. Marriott was blase and while they expanded qualification they never promised benefits. When members pushed back they had a choice to either allow SPGers in or admit at that point there was no benefit, just a title. Apparently they decided the lack of benefits was "proprietary" and kept them close while members spent money on phantom meetings which Marriott never encouraged. That was a members' frenzy.

To this day Marriott has never made a statement indicating there are LTPP benefits. That has been assumed by members.

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
This doesn't make sense at all. The absence of LTPP benefits in the T&C is certainly because they are not planning to offer LTPP in the future (it is a grandfathered status only). And some bad trained employee and supervisor are not aware of the status at all so they are saying it doesn't really exist (looks like some aren't even aware of the program changes !). Those issues should be fixed in the following weeks...
First, the terms and conditions go into detail on how to qualify for LTPP, so the argument about it missing because it will be capped is wrong. While qualification will end, the benefits will continue yet they include the part that is ending.

Marriott can only give us benefits that are outlined in the terms and conditions. This is not an IT issue, it is a terms and conditions issue, so the starting point needs to be clarification from Marriott; is this an oversight or is it intentional? If it is an oversight new rules need to be drafted. Until the new rules are drafted we do not get PP benefits and if this is intentional Marriott needs to fess up. Right now the silence is indicating what is written in the terms, presented in the marketing materials and programmed into the site is intentional. How difficult would it be to issue a quick apology and let us know they will get to updating the terms? It is not like this impacts two people, it impacts all LTPPs.

Originally Posted by jjj325

You have the title for life, although Marriott has the right to change that. Nowhere has Marriott promised specific benefits, and unless the benefits are in writing they do not exist, Contracts do not allow unwritten terms, so unless there is something in writing there is nothing. No assumptions, common sense understandings or name calling create benefits. Written provisions create benefits. The only written provision indicates LT members "only" get S/G/P benefits.

Again i would love to see a cite to the contrary, but nobody has found one yet and the arguments that there are imaginary benefits defies the written contract rules.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
Sir, as you provide some insightful comments,

Perhaps you have any opinion on my case? Platinum acquired at the end of 2017 via targeted challenge (actually to keep Plat. already reached in 2016), still not mapped to PP
Already combined earlier today, still the same.
Hello and thanks as with many others, much of what Marriott is displaying right now is not correct...maybe by the weekend things will start displaying correctly? Would help if we could actually log in at least...
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Fully agreed. This is not rocket science. Lifetime Platinum Premier gets Platinum Premier (absent the annual 50/75 night benefits). Full stop.

It's amazing that a single poster has started to create this amount of doubt (but thankfully nobody really believes it).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:07 am

My wife called back and asked to speak with a Supervisor as she has an upcoming stay and wanted to be sure she understood what is going on as the last person she spoke with said a few things which did not make a whole heck of a lot of sense.

My wife was put on hold and the Supervisor finally came on the line and after listening to my wife she explained that there are certain limitations at the moment that are being worked on (although with no resolution eta) and she was not 100% clear on what is going on, but this is what she expects is the issue and what is actually going on.

The Supervisor explained there are two parts to the Marriott Rewards Elite system, CURRENT status and LIFETIME status and right now one could have a different CURRENT status than their LIFETIME status. She said she has seen it most commonly with LIFETIME Platinum Premier and the guest having a CURRENT status of Platinum but it could happen with other statuses as well.

In my wife's case, the Supervisor explained that while she is LIFETIME Platinum Premier, she has not stayed the requisite nights for Platinum Premier (been a slower travel year, which is a win for me, her husband), so the system has her CURRENT status as Platinum.

My wife asked if that will change and this is where the Supervisor was less sure and she said honestly said that he thinks so, but she is not 100% sure as she has heard some conflicting information. She explained that the priority was to ensure that those actively staying have the correct status and down the line (could be a week, could be a month or could be a year) those with LIFETIME status but who do not have the number of nights for CURRENT status get aligned properly.

Again, she could not promise that it would be corrected quickly or at all as she is not 100% sure that is not the intended outcome, but she felt it would eventually be changed so that LIFETIME status would directly correlate to CURRENT status.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by kmersh
My wife called back and asked to speak with a Supervisor as she has an upcoming stay and wanted to be sure she understood what is going on as the last person she spoke with said a few things which did not make a whole heck of a lot of sense....
Which is consistent with what I was told when I called, and with what the terms state and what the marketing materials state and what is programmed into the software. The issue is not a programming issue that will be updated in a sweep. The issue is the terms do no provide us with PP benefits. Marriott cannot program the computers to show something not proscribed in the terms.

As much as one poster wants to attack me, he fails to provide a single piece of evidence backing up that we get the PP benefits, just vague assumptions about the terms, the programming, the marketing and the CSRs being wrong. Wake up. They are all telling a consistent story that right now we do not get the PP benefits. We need clarification from Marriott.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Haven't we done the back and forth of saying "FUD" on one side and quoting how a single line of the T&C that fails to mention LTPP as a sign that apparently Marriott invented a higher level of status that confers no benefit over the next highest level of lifetime status on the other enough at this point? There are tons of IT issues and we keep retreading the same territory over, and over, and over again.

The lurkers have said they expect issues with current status to be resolved last night and lifetime status (excepting the 750 nights + 10 years people who will be swept in Jan 2019) within the week. All we can do is wait. We don't even have any further information to add because sign in on Marriott.com hasn't worked all morning and a few minutes ago they removed the "sign in" button from Marriott.com entirely.

This is like the Rewarding Events language debate, and someone in that thread pointed out we kept retreading the same arguments with no new evidence or other information, just discussing what we had already debated many times before. It isn't adding anything to the conversation at this point.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:39 am

Another data point: Unnatural Plat via SPG Challenege, do not yet have PPE.

I was Marriott Plat prior to 8/18 via linking/match. I am still regular Plat on both.

via the SPG Wiki A10, Starwood Lurker answered that people that reached SPG Plat via the highest challenege would be given Plat Premier....
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Another data point: Unnatural Plat via SPG Challenege, do not yet have PPE.

I was Marriott Plat prior to 8/18 via linking/match. I am still regular Plat on both.

via the SPG Wiki A10, Starwood Lurker answered that people that reached SPG Plat via the highest challenege would be given Plat Premier....
No I believe that you should have just Platinum if you were SPG Plat via status challenge and then linked (ie you were not SPG75 or above)

The lurker in A.10 was referring to those who got Marriott Platinum via the Marriott Challenge, not those who completed an SPG challenge and then linked status across to MR.

The statement was that those who had successfully completed the Marriott Challenge would get PP status in the new program.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Life time platinum is nothing more in term of benefits and status that a platinum status.. .what do people expect from this ?
It just mean that you don't need to re-qualify to keep the status (this is the benefit associated with lifetime), but benefits are the same than equivalent status...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frenchft
Life time platinum is nothing more in term of benefits and status that a platinum status.. .what do people expect from this ?
It just mean that you don't need to re-qualify to keep the status (this is the benefit associated with lifetime), but benefits are the same than equivalent status...
That is exactly everyone's point

Lifetime silver gets silver status and benefits for life
Lifetime gold gets gold status and benefits for life
Lifetime platinum gets platinum status and benefits for life

Why would that not translate to:

Lifetime platinum premier gets platinum premier status and benefits for life

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.