Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:07 am

At this point does anyone have PPE?

Sounds like there's two different scenarios that are being discussed in this thread.

- LT PPE not having PPE
- People that challenge for Platinum before the merger not having PPE

Do the people with natural Platinum in 2018 have PPE?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
That is exactly everyone's point

Lifetime silver gets silver status and benefits for life
Lifetime gold gets gold status and benefits for life
Lifetime platinum gets platinum status and benefits for life

Why would that not translate to:

Lifetime platinum premier gets platinum premier status and benefits for life
agree, but I very often heard lifetime plat or even gold mentioning they have a priority or higher status than regular... this is why I mentioned the point.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by midnightblade

Sounds like there's two different scenarios that are being discussed in this thread.

- LT PPE not having PPE
- People that challenge for Platinum before the merger not having PPE

Do the people with natural Platinum in 2018 have PPE?
You can add to the list people who were a little bit short of 75 night in 2017 but were offered Platinum by Marriott anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
The lurker in A.10 was referring to those who got Marriott Platinum via the Marriott Challenge, not those who completed an SPG challenge and then linked status across to MR.

The statement was that those who had successfully completed the Marriott Challenge would get PP status in the new program.
Why would Starwood Lurker, be posting in the Starwood forum, on a thread about how SPG merges into Marriott, be posting about MR status challenges? That doesn't make sense.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eracerblue

Why would Starwood Lurker, be posting in the Starwood forum, on a thread about how SPG merges into Marriott, be posting about MR status challenges? That doesn't make sense.
Actually that makes a lot of sense. The question was, will SPG Gold matched to MR Gold be Platinum after merger. The answer was no, however you can do MR challenge from your matched MR Gold to become MR Plat and then become PP in the new program.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by midnightblade

LTP - shows up correctly
107 nights and I show up as PP - shows up correctly
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
That is exactly everyone's point

Lifetime silver gets silver status and benefits for life
Lifetime gold gets gold status and benefits for life
Lifetime platinum gets platinum status and benefits for life

Why would that not translate to:

Lifetime platinum premier gets platinum premier status and benefits for life
Exactly. It’s not that complicated.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by frenchft
Life time platinum is nothing more in term of benefits and status that a platinum status.. .what do people expect from this ?
It just mean that you don't need to re-qualify to keep the status (this is the benefit associated with lifetime), but benefits are the same than equivalent status...
Exactly. And the carve outs on what makes Plat different from LTP (50 night gift) and PP different from LTPP (75 night gift) could not be any more clear.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond

Confused...
I have 87 nights with marrriott YTD, 12 with spg.

Thesr are stayed nights.. I’m platinum, not PP, don’t understand why. I was platinum premier before merging accounts...
bresnab likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Just read this thread while I was on hold about this very issue (32 minutes). Representative said they are asking everyone to give it a week. Since I have a stay tonight, I asked if the appropriate bonus points would be reflected and she called the property and had them manually note the correct status (PPE). I'm not hopeful and am sure I'll have to chase that down when they finally get this all straightened out.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Actually that makes a lot of sense. The question was, will SPG Gold matched to MR Gold be Platinum after merger. The answer was no, however you can do MR challenge from your matched MR Gold to become MR Plat and then become PP in the new program.
I guess it seemed a little too good to be true, but from what's written, I still read it my way.

I haven't been able to follow every nuance, but thought that SPG LTP's had made the case that they should become MPG LTPP's. I understand that natural Golds map to Silver, and natural Plats map to Plats because of various differences in benefits. However, via the referenced wiki entry, as well as various other posts - it appears that other people have this understanding as well regarding SPG Plat challenges.

If others know more about this, or any Lurkers could comment, that would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Originally SPG LTP 750+ did not get LTPP. When it was pointed out that was not fair, Marriott allowed them the status, but obviously they originally were not thinking LTPP was meaningful enough to care. Members caused the commotion. Marriott was blase and while they expanded qualification they never promised benefits. When members pushed back they had a choice to either allow SPGers in or admit at that point there was no benefit, just a title. Apparently they decided the lack of benefits was "proprietary" and kept them close while members spent money on phantom meetings which Marriott never encouraged. That was a members' frenzy.

To this day Marriott has never made a statement indicating there are LTPP benefits. That has been assumed by members.

First, the terms and conditions go into detail on how to qualify for LTPP, so the argument about it missing because it will be capped is wrong. While qualification will end, the benefits will continue yet they include the part that is ending.

Marriott can only give us benefits that are outlined in the terms and conditions. This is not an IT issue, it is a terms and conditions issue, so the starting point needs to be clarification from Marriott; is this an oversight or is it intentional? If it is an oversight new rules need to be drafted. Until the new rules are drafted we do not get PP benefits and if this is intentional Marriott needs to fess up. Right now the silence is indicating what is written in the terms, presented in the marketing materials and programmed into the site is intentional. How difficult would it be to issue a quick apology and let us know they will get to updating the terms? It is not like this impacts two people, it impacts all LTPPs.

You have the title for life, although Marriott has the right to change that. Nowhere has Marriott promised specific benefits, and unless the benefits are in writing they do not exist, Contracts do not allow unwritten terms, so unless there is something in writing there is nothing. No assumptions, common sense understandings or name calling create benefits. Written provisions create benefits. The only written provision indicates LT members "only" get S/G/P benefits.

Again i would love to see a cite to the contrary, but nobody has found one yet and the arguments that there are imaginary benefits defies the written contract rules.
I suspect that Starriott originally intended LTPP to be more special and carry more benefits, based on the number of MR members with LTP (lifetime 75 night level status). When the floodgates were opened to allow not only SPG LTPs with 750 lifetime nights but also various combinations of ways to qualify, increased numbers of LTPP may have forced Starriott to revisit which benefits should be associated with LTPP.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that Starriott originally intended LTPP to be more special and carry more benefits, based on the number of MR members with LTP (lifetime 75 night level status). When the floodgates were opened to allow not only SPG LTPs with 750 lifetime nights but also various combinations of ways to qualify, increased numbers of LTPP may have forced Starriott to revisit which benefits should be associated with LTPP.
Call me crazy, but IIRC the benefits by each level came out in tandem with the new LT requirements, so increased numbers of LTPP from the Starwood side / combinations didn't have any impact on said benefits. Please correct me if my timing is wrong.

If anything, the sheer number of Marriott LTPs going in (that Marriott knew needed to be above the new LTP) drove the decision to have limited marginal benefits of PP over Plat.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
My account still shows Platinum, nothing about Platinum Premier...
Also the lifetime is screwed
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UKCatsHoopsFan
Just read this thread while I was on hold about this very issue (32 minutes). Representative said they are asking everyone to give it a week.
Also, the check is in the mail. I promise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.