Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoPhils
While I don’t think this is a major problem (and I am one with the problem),
On the life scale, it does not qualify as a "major problem." On the FT scale, it absolutely does. There are quite a few posts in various threads of members wrongly being denied any elite benefits because their status is not showing in the system.

I do agree Marriott is likely grossly misrepresenting the scope of the error. After all, that's what they've been doing on a broader scale since Day 1.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
On the life scale, it does not qualify as a "major problem." On the FT scale, it absolutely does. There are quite a few posts in various threads of members wrongly being denied any elite benefits because their status is not showing in the system.

I do agree Marriott is likely grossly misrepresenting the scope of the error. After all, that's what they've been doing on a broader scale since Day 1.
Being denied “any” benefits would certainly be an issue. But I thought the main problem discussed in this thread was showing Platinum when it should be Platinum Premier, in which case the only benefits you’d be missing out on are some points and maybe a slightly better chance for an upgrade.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Being denied “any” benefits would certainly be an issue. But I thought the main problem discussed in this thread was showing Platinum when it should be Platinum Premier, in which case the only benefits you’d be missing out on are some points and maybe a slightly better chance for an upgrade.
And getting the points corrected shouldn't be difficult once everything else is settled.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
I'd like to point out that it is Sept 3rd, and it has been two full weeks since the conversion/merged system with no relief in sight. Still shows wrong status, stays have no posted, benefits being denied due to Starwood hotels no showing elite status, and no reasonable assurances from Marriott as to WHEN this mess will be resolved. If only they committed to a certain date. Last I talked to them, I was told Friday....well, it's Monday, and still same old...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Tulane41
I am in the same boat. FWIW, I finally called yesterday to ask about it because I am in the middle of post-merger stay #2 , and have a third this weekend. The woman I spoke to seemed familiar with the problem. She kept me on the phone for about 10 minutes while she "opened a case," which included a request to fix the status and award additional points for the affected reservations. She said it would take 3-5 days. Not optimistic, but we'll see.
To update, like others still showing Plat when I should be PP. In the middle of post-merger stay #3 . Assuming nothing is happening on their end over the holiday weekend.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum
After program merger status problem

Prior to the merger, I was Lifetime Gold with a current status of Platinum. I was nothing in SPG except via the match. Post merger when the information came back up on the website and app I was immediately showing Lifetime Platinum and Platinum. My current nights YTD are 47 and that has not changed since the merger; my first stay since the merger begins later this week. I achieved Platinum for this year based on 2017 nights; however, I actually think I ended up at something like 73 nights, not 75, but they went ahead and "gave" me Platinum for 2018 because I was so close and had been Platinum for several years in a row. At least that is what I assume.

My assumption was that because I was Platinum prior to the program merger I would be Platinum Premier after. And this seemed all the more logical since on charts next to each other on the Marriott website I was moved to LTP post merger. About a week after the merger I got notifications via the website, app, and email stating my status may be incorrect, they were aware of it, and they were working on it. During this time period I merged my MR and SPG accounts. Days later I got another notification that the issue was resolved. But, I still showed up as LTP and Platinum.

So, yesterday I called the Platinum line to inquire, thinking maybe at least on their end I would show up as Platinum Premier. I got to the "rewards department" talking to two different people. What I found out was that I showed up as Platinum, not PPE. Both people told me that I was only Gold but based on my LTP status I was showing up as Platinum. One even tried to tell me that he didn't even see how I had achieved LTP as I had only obtained the criteria for LTG but said "I won't turn it in to be looked at." After much negotiation with the second person I talked to he let me know there is a different department dealing with status issues (the name of which escapes me now, maybe "status department"?), and I was transferred there.

The person I talked to in this department was moderately more informed, but was convinced that August 18 status started over. If I had not achieved Platinum Premier by August 18 for 2018 then I had to earn it over again for 2018 since then-- what I earned from 2017 stays did not matter to her. I got her to look at the charts here and finally she decided there might be a problem with my account, but she was not convinced as it was not what she had been trained on. But she opened a case to be looked into and said to expect an answer in 5+ business days. Of course that is after my next stay, so if they move me to PPE they may have to adjust the points I earn. Oh well.

Am I incorrect thinking that if I was Platinum for 2018 up until August 18 that I should have been moved to Platinum Premier? I guess the only caveat to that is that I might not have technically earned it since I was a couple nights short, but they still gave me Platinum in January. So, I don't know what to think.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by brianinok
I guess the only caveat to that is that I might not have technically earned it since I was a couple nights short, but they still gave me Platinum in January. So, I don't know what to think.
I was Platinum before (true 75+) and am PP now. I believe you should be too. My bet is that some coder swept through the first go around looking for the 75 nights...someone will eventually catch those who were squeezed in like yourself, but if it is critical to you, call and ask them to fix it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
It will likely catch up. My wife was in a similar spot where she was 2 nights short and it took until 3 days ago for her status was corrected.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by travelerp
I am flummoxed at this point. I was platinum (both in Marriott and SPG) before Aug 18, my account reflects Platinum Elite and not Platinum Premier. DM'd Marriott Rewards on twitter six days ago, just got a response telling me don't forget to combine my accounts so my nights and points are properly reflected. Did they answer someone else's question instead of mine, or are others not seeing their proper status until after combining accounts? Or did I just get a generic response? Have been reluctant to combine until the glitches smooth out, but, based on others' experiences, did correct status not show until after combining?. I thought one had nothing to do with other unless you needed the totals to reach a status.
I am also showing Plat when I should be PP. I was Plat for 2018 until Aug 18. I had two stays since the merger where I was downgraded and no sign from Marriott when this will be fixed. Sounds like more than a few of us in this situation.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:29 pm

I did the SPG platinum challenge earlier this year and got matched to Marriott's equivalent at the time. Should I have been moved over to PP in the new system with less than 75 nights? My nights should have been irrelevant and I did combine via Marriott and not SPG.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But I thought the main problem discussed in this thread was showing Platinum when it should be Platinum Premier, in which case the only benefits you’d be missing out on are some points and maybe a slightly better chance for an upgrade.
Not sure what your basis is for saying it's only a "slightly better" chance for an upgrade. At RCs, not having Plat Premier precludes suite upgrades. More generally, it's basically the difference between old MR Gold and old MR Plat, and I found that difference highly significant for suite upgrades.

More generally, I find Marriott's nonresponsiveness/misrepresentations on this issue super frustrating. In my book, they're getting very close to the Comcast/Verizon "we don't care because we don't have to" category.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by an1030
I did the SPG platinum challenge earlier this year and got matched to Marriott's equivalent at the time. Should I have been moved over to PP in the new system with less than 75 nights? My nights should have been irrelevant and I did combine via Marriott and not SPG.
NO, matched status doesn't count. You were SPG Plat (25 stays or 50 nights) which becomes newPlat (50 nights) in the new combined program. Only those who have EARNED MR Plat (75 nights) become newPP (75 nights) in the new combined program.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what your basis is for saying it's only a "slightly better" chance for an upgrade. At RCs, not having Plat Premier precludes suite upgrades. More generally, it's basically the difference between old MR Gold and old MR Plat, and I found that difference highly significant for suite upgrades.

More generally, I find Marriott's nonresponsiveness/misrepresentations on this issue super frustrating. In my book, they're getting very close to the Comcast/Verizon "we don't care because we don't have to" category.
Fair enough for RC specifically, but my basis is that I rarely got suite upgrades as an old Platinum anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by orca15
I was Platinum before (true 75+) and am PP now. I believe you should be too. My bet is that some coder swept through the first go around looking for the 75 nights...someone will eventually catch those who were squeezed in like yourself, but if it is critical to you, call and ask them to fix it.
Originally Posted by uibd
It will likely catch up. My wife was in a similar spot where she was 2 nights short and it took until 3 days ago for her status was corrected.
Hope this is right. Maybe it will get caught by a not-yet-completed sweep by a coder in the course of business in the next few days, hopefully before my next stay later this week. If not, hopefully the ticket that was opened yesterday will cause a correction. I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets for whoever is responsible to look at them to look at.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I was Marriott Gold before the merger. Stayed a week at a JW resort from 21st Aug. At that point my account showed Gold. Spent ~£500 at the hotel, including daily breakfast. Today my account has changed to Platinum, which would have gotten me free breakfast during my stay if my account had changed to Platinum at merger time rather than over 2 weeks later. The stay did not take me over the post-merger Platinum threshold. Bummer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.