Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by patchmonkey
As an update, I'm a Very Unnatural Platinum - I got my status several years ago as part of a working relationship promotion... It was supposed to be for one year, and has gone on for nearly five now.

I am thinking that as nice as having the "PP" on my account might be, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

I'm actually even hesitant to combine my accounts, as Starwood always lists an "expiration date" and Marriott doesn't.

Any thoughts?
That's really a peculiar case, I'd too keep the lowest profile possible! Beyond that i'm not sure I can add some advice.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
At this moment the iOS App is down, hope is for the good updates!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I don’t mean to be dense...I had 48 nights in Marriott and 6 in SPG so combined should I not be at the 50+ level and able to pick a choice benefit (5 suite night upgrades). Color me confused. When I try to pick a choice benefit I get a wierd login box and its directed to choice.benefit.marriott.com. Up until 8/18 I was a Platinum through linking my SPG and Marriott accounts and earned SPG Platinum by stays last year.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm in the same boat but I am already a Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. My app shows lifetime status of Plat Premier but my "current" status as only Plat. I just checked into a Marriott property and they also only show me as Platinum.

I called the Plat line tonight as I had other questions for them and I specifically asked about this question. All the agent could tell me was that things would fix themselves after I combine my accounts. That made no sense to me since I'm Lifetime Plat Premier through Marriott only; my Starwood/SPG data doesn't help me in any way. I mentioned this to the agent and he went and talked to his manager and they both suggested I just wait a few days for the dust to settle.

The only thing I'm missing right now will be the 75% (vs 50%) bonus points when my stay posts as I'm in the same hotel for four nights this week. Guess I'll just have to call Marriott Rewards back and ask for them to fix it.

If anyone else hears a better update on when we can expect this problem to be resolved please post it.

Thanks,
RM
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Many status issues. Just wait.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
So, I received platinum via challenge this year because I figured I might as well go for it before the combining of the two programmes. And since my account was still showing platinum now, I decided to call, as I have a reservation starting tomorrow and wanted to have the correct status when I arrive at the hotel. I was informed by the call centre that only people with 75 nights get platinum premier. No challenges. And I was also told that the expiry of my platinum status is in the system as the end of 2018, so that I would drop to gold for 2019. I sincerely hope that this is a system error as I was specifically told that my status challenge would ensure platinum status through the end of 2019. And was also told that this would map to the new platinum premier status in the new programme before I began the challenge, so just feel a bit cheated and have a 10 day reservation starting tomorrow, so that is a big points difference I would say. The complaint has been forwarded to a supervisor, so they said I will receive a response within 5 working days. Again, hoping this is an error, but the person I spoke with said that many people have called that did the challenge and this is how they have been told to respond by their supervisors, so who knows I guess, but just thought I would share what happened on my phone call. Also, platinum line was answered immediately, so if there is a huge influx of calls, it wasn't noticeable. (Then again, middle of the night in the US, so perhaps will be worse later)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I was a few nights short of 75 in 2017 but Marriott gave me Platinum anyway for 2018. Now I am platinum, not PP... Not the end of the world, but not very nice, it's like giving something and taking it back at the middle of the year... Not sure if I should call / email them...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm in the same boat but I am already a Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. My app shows lifetime status of Plat Premier but my "current" status as only Plat. I just checked into a Marriott property and they also only show me as Platinum.

I called the Plat line tonight as I had other questions for them and I specifically asked about this question. All the agent could tell me was that things would fix themselves after I combine my accounts. That made no sense to me since I'm Lifetime Plat Premier through Marriott only; my Starwood/SPG data doesn't help me in any way. I mentioned this to the agent and he went and talked to his manager and they both suggested I just wait a few days for the dust to settle.

The only thing I'm missing right now will be the 75% (vs 50%) bonus points when my stay posts as I'm in the same hotel for four nights this week. Guess I'll just have to call Marriott Rewards back and ask for them to fix it.

If anyone else hears a better update on when we can expect this problem to be resolved please post it.

Thanks,
RM
The wife called up because she was/is a Lifetime Marriott Rewards Platinum, has three upcoming stays (one as of tomorrow) and her account shows her current Status as Platinum and her Lifetime Status as Platinum Premier. After being put on-hold a lot, she was told that is correct, that she is a Lifetime Platinum Premier, but she is only eligible for Platinum Benefits, not Platinum Premier benefits. My wife felt that was completely illogical and told the agent that there is no way that could be accurate as why would she be labeled one thing but only receive the benefits of another thing. If I am only going to receive Lifetime Platinum Benefits, why would I not be labeled as a Lifetime Platinum? Instead, I am being labeled as a Lifetime Platinum Premier, but I am only going to receive benefits of a Platinum, which does not make any sort of sense.

The agent insisted that is what her superiors were telling her and while it was not what she understood to be accurate originally, it is what she is now being told, so that is what she must tell the customer. My wife asked if things are still in flux and the agent said that she was told things were in the process of being completed, so the agent presumed that there should be little to no in-flux anymore.

I honestly have no idea if any of what my wife was told was accurate or not, just passing it along for whatever it is worth.

Last edited by kmersh; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:59 am Reason: correct some sentence structure
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kmersh
The wife called up because she was/is a Lifetime Marriott Rewards Platinum, has three upcoming stays (one as of tomorrow) and her account shows her current Status as Platinum and her Lifetime Status as Platinum Premier. After being put on-hold a lot, she was told that is correct, that she is a Lifetime Platinum Premier, but she is only eligible for Platinum Benefits, not Platinum Premier benefits. My wife felt that was completely illogical and told the agent that there is no way that could be accurate as why we should be labeled one thing but only receive the benefits of another thing. If I am only going to receive Lifetime Platinum Benefits, why would I not be labeled as a Lifetime Platinum? Instead, I am being labeled as a Lifetime Platinum Premier, but I am only going to receive benefits of a Platinum, which does not make any sort of sense.

The agent insisted that is what her superiors were telling her and while it was not what she understood to be accurate originally, it is what she is now being told, so that is what she must tell the customer. My wife asked if things are still in flux and the agent said that she was told things were in the process of being completed, so the agent presumed that there should be little to no in-flux anymore.

I honestly have no idea if any of what my wife was told was accurate or not, just passing it along for whatever it is worth.
This doesn't make any sense at all.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
This doesn't make any sense at all.
Agreed, but this what my wife was told, I am not shocked that phone reps give out bad info, just passing it along for whatever it is worth.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, just got told same exact thing. Husband needs to make 75 nights this year to be Platinum Premier even though he is Lifetime PP.

They have no idea.....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
OK, just got told same exact thing. Husband needs to make 75 nights this year to be Platinum Premier even though he is Lifetime PP.<br /><br />They have no idea.....
<br /><br />Which is what I was told too. The member.Marriott marketing info states LT Silver/Gold/Plat receive the corresponding level of benefits but despite spending half a page discussing LTPP never makes that claim for LTPP. The T&amp;Cs claim LT status can get Silver, Gold or Plat benefits but does not promise PP benefits to LT members despite discussing LTPP qualification in detail.<br /><br />
<strong>Lifetime Elite Status only provides a Member with Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status</strong> and protection against the forfeiture of Points even if the Lifetime Elite Member is inactive. It does not prevent the Company from suspending Lifetime Elite Status or cancelling a Member’s Account. <strong>Lifetime Elite Members will receive the benefits of Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite Members</strong>, which are subject to change from time to time as described in section 4.1
<br /><br />The site shows us having LTPP but P benefits and each of us has been told this is correct when we contacted Marriott. Posters have hurled personal insults at me for pointing these facts out, but nobody has provided a single cite showing where Marriott told us LTPP gets PP benefits. There seem to be too many consistent sources indicating we get P benefits for us to not consider this may be correct. Assumptions were made that LTPP would get PP benefits because of the name but no promise was every made.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Assumptions were made that LTPP would get PP benefits because of the name but no promise was every made.
So what's the point of LTPP status? Just a name, no benefits? I'm honestly confused by this concept.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BonVoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, BA Bronze
So yesterday I had the option to combine accounts, and it appeared successful. While my combined stays at Marriott and Starwood were insufficient to bump me to a new tier, my prior MR Gold Status was "elevated" to the new platinum, as had been advertised since the April announcement.

This morning, I log in to see if two recent stays from last week had posted (spoiler: no) and I see I've been retroactively downgraded back to Gold.

I sent a Twitter DM to the MR account with a screenshot - we'll see if they respond, or even correct.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
So what's the point of LTPP status? Just a name, no benefits? I'm honestly confused by this concept.

I could see not giving the annual direct benefits of PP to Lifetime PP's. But shouldn't it at least display as PP when you check in to a hotel? Otherwise, what exactly, as you say, is the point of being lifetime PP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.