Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Upon taking a look at the current Marriott website. Review the elite benefits page. There is absolutely no difference between Plat Premier Elite and Platinum except for the bonus points are at 75% on PPE and 50% on P. Also a 48 hour guarantee. The 50/75 would likely occur anyway as a discrete visit threshold. As far as upgrades - these have been notoriously stingy at Marriott properties anyway, (SPG - different story.)

I am Lifetime Plat, (now to be lifetime PPE). I have routinely bumped back and forth between Plat and PP under the old Marriott system and can tell you there was absolutely no difference in service or upgrades. 99% of the properties did not even know what PP was anyway.

My guess is that the bonus points can be worked out later, so unless you absolutely have to have a 48 hour guarantee, (which by the way is usually void because of blackouts) - this seems to be all about status perception vs status reality anyway.

FWIW - my log in status was Platinum and is now showing PPE.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brobab
Upon taking a look at the current Marriott website. Review the elite benefits page. There is absolutely no difference between Plat Premier Elite and Platinum except for the bonus points are at 75% on PPE and 50% on P. Also a 48 hour guarantee. The 50/75 would likely occur anyway as a discrete visit threshold. As far as upgrades - these have been notoriously stingy at Marriott properties anyway, (SPG - different story.)

I am Lifetime Plat, (now to be lifetime PPE). I have routinely bumped back and forth between Plat and PP under the old Marriott system and can tell you there was absolutely no difference in service or upgrades. 99% of the properties did not even know what PP was anyway.

My guess is that the bonus points can be worked out later, so unless you absolutely have to have a 48 hour guarantee, (which by the way is usually void because of blackouts) - this seems to be all about status perception vs status reality anyway.

FWIW - my log in status was Platinum and is now showing PPE.
This new world of Plat vs. PP is not the Marriott of old...to be seen in reality, but the intentions are different. To start with, this PP is an actual defined level, vs. the amorphous thing of the past.

Yes, there is not a massive difference in PP vs Plat (esp. for LT purposes)...but there is a difference...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, there is not a massive difference in PP vs Plat (esp. for LT purposes)...but there is a difference...
There are going to be so many Plats (old Gold) until Jan. 31, 2019, I suspect it will absolutely make a difference for upgrades. Particularly since, as you note, PP is now a clearly defined status level.

There's also the small matter of Marriott actually living up to its word.
C17PSGR and midnightblade like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did they make the Ambassador mistake? Can you see your year to date spend?
I have no idea how they made that mistake. I have over 100 nights, but that includes a bunch of rollover and credit card nights. After they took away the Ambassador status, I can see the year to date spend tracker. I have no where near $20K in spending at Marriott this year. But I have noticed that they fixed the error that was in my favor, but not the error that was in their favor.

Since I mainly stay in mid tier hotels (Courtyard, SHS, Fairfield Inn), I don't think an Ambassador would have made a big difference for me anyway. I do want them to move me from LTP to LTPP, though. If needed, I did think to take a screenshot of my LTP status before August 18. But all the other info on my profile is correct. So hopefully they can see my correct lifetime totals as well.

Also, I plan on waiting to merge my accounts until this is settled.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are going to be so many Plats (old Gold) until Jan. 31, 2019, I suspect it will absolutely make a difference for upgrades. Particularly since, as you note, PP is now a clearly defined status level.

Agreed completely. Again I'm sure we will see differing executions in the wild (as we always have) - but the intent seems to be clear, that there will be a distinct upgrade hierarchy.

Especially since there is not a huge difference between the two, it defies all logic to think Marriott would not live up to its word here.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
This new world of Plat vs. PP is not the Marriott of old...to be seen in reality, but the intentions are different. To start with, this PP is an actual defined level, vs. the amorphous thing of the past.

Agreed, we'll see how it works in reality but the intentions are to change it from a level that recognizes Marriott's top 2-3 percent of customers to a level that recognizes Marriott's top 10-15 percent of customers.

With the amorphous level, some properties don't know the difference between P6 and X4 but those who do give great upgrades because the X4 is unusual. Now more properties will hopefully know the difference and give good upgrades.

Otherwise, when I start traveling less, I agree there is not a massive difference.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Agreed, we'll see how it works in reality but the intentions are to change it from a level that recognizes Marriott's top 2-3 percent of customers to a level that recognizes Marriott's top 10-15 percent of customers.

With the amorphous level, some properties don't know the difference between P6 and X4 but those who do give great upgrades because the X4 is unusual. Now more properties will hopefully know the difference and give good upgrades.

Otherwise, when I start traveling less, I agree there is not a massive difference.
Oh Thanks for the reminder of the P6 coding for Plat. I learnt that at many properties where the staff would talk between them ('he's P6') or sometimes directly to me 'you are P6 so you have access to the Lounge'
as for the X4 for PP is absolutely new for me so thanks for the heads up too!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Agreed completely. Again I'm sure we will see differing executions in the wild (as we always have) - but the intent seems to be clear, that there will be a distinct upgrade hierarchy.

Especially since there is not a huge difference between the two, it defies all logic to think Marriott would not live up to its word here.
Sir, as you provide some insightful comments,

Perhaps you have any opinion on my case? Platinum acquired at the end of 2017 via targeted challenge (actually to keep Plat. already reached in 2016), still not mapped to PP
Already combined earlier today, still the same.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Haven't read the whole thread but add me to the camp that was Marriott Plat before the merger and was fully expecting to be Marriott Plat Premier through EOY -- still waiting to see that come to fruition.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

New PP vs New Plat is really just like Old Gold vs Old Plat. And pretty sure even that has been the topic for a few threads over the years.

The better comparison for Old PP is PP w/Ambassador. While it seems Old PP may have been harder to qualify for (although the requirements were not known), I’d bet PP w/Ambassador gets more recognition than old PP since it is now am clearly defined level.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:34 pm

I should be lifetime Plat Premier, but listed as platinum

The app and website say I'm platinum. The website also says I'm lifetime platinum premier. Both show a counter of how many nights I need to get to platinum premier. i'm confused. help!

FWIW, been lifteime platinum in marriott for awhile. 750 nights/ a gazillion points. this year YTD i have 4 nights.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott
Read all thru the thread. I'm in. Same thing here. Was a platinum before merging but now P not PP.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

What word? You keep saying Marriott is not living up to its word but never point to that word, only your assumptions. What Marriott states and what you think are two different things. Marriott has never stated LTPP gets PP benefits. You have assumed that. We have all seen the Bad News Bears and understand why you do not believe assumptions.

There are published terms and conditions, which is the contract under which we get benefits. When there is a written contract, only what is in the contract matters. Your version of common sense, your flapping gums or typing fingers cannot add or change anything in the contract.

The contract does not provide PP benefits for anyone (section shown below) the way it provides S/G/P benefits. You cannot make up contract terms because you want them to be there. If it is not in the contract they do not exist. That's the point of having a contract, neither party can just make stuff up that does not exist. Despite your using meaningless and cutesy terms like FUD, the way you threw around "magical" when you were having the same tantrums about Gold not counting as Plat long after that rule was published and clarified, you still have not provided a single cite from the terms or from the site or the marketing materials which provide back-up to the contract being wrong. The terms match what is on the site as far as the benefits are concerned. It is understandable that you think the contract says something else, but unless the contract states why you want it to state, it does not. Your make-believe does not magically create a contract term. Your repeating something over and over but not being able to cite a single source does not magically create a contract term.

Rather than bury your head in the sand and groundlessly telling everyone this is wrong maybe you could provide a single cite showing it is wrong, although in three days you have clearly been unable to do that and, instead, are spouting insults. The focus should be on getting Marriott to give a clear, consistent answer and maybe getting them to change the terms to include higher benefits, but to act as though everyone but you is wrong (the marketing people, the loyalty people who wrote the terms, the CSRs many of us have spoken to, the programmers) when they each tell a consistent story and you cannot point to a single statement from Marriott to back you up gets us nowhere.

Lifetime Elite Status only provides a Member with Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status and protection against the forfeiture of Points even if the Lifetime Elite Member is inactive. It does not prevent the Company from suspending Lifetime Elite Status or cancelling a Member’s Account. Lifetime Elite Members will receive the benefits of Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite Members, which are subject to change from time to time as described in section 4.1.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
The app and website say I'm platinum. The website also says I'm lifetime platinum premier. Both show a counter of how many nights I need to get to platinum premier. i'm confused. help!

FWIW, been lifteime platinum in marriott for awhile. 750 nights/ a gazillion points. this year YTD i have 4 nights.
Yes, it's affecting quite a few people, some with LTPP, some who completed the Platinum challenge beforehand, and even some vanilla Platinum with 75+ nights in MR already.
It's mentioned across several threads right now, including this one: All together now.

But maybe it's worth maintaining a separate thread for this issue while it remains ongoing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.