Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I sent a request as soon as I'd checked in yesterday (Tuesday) for a stay on Thursday. They haven't replied yet (just got "Thank you for reaching out .." when I first hit 'em up, and then "We apologize for the delay ..." 5 mins later), but nothing since. I'll ping 'em again tomorrow morning, so we'll see. Ex-SPG property, FWIW
You might try calling and asking for the operations manager or front office manager. Just say you wanted to call since nobody is responding to the chat. Obviously, there's a diplomatic way to put it. Unfortunately, even some legacy Marriott properties before 8/18 were very bad about responding to the chat messages through the mobile application. In general, however, I find that most properties respond within 15 or 20 minutes. Surprisingly, the limited-service properties seem to be the best.

I was upgraded yesterday to a suite for my stay tomorrow at an airport Sheraton and this morning I was upgraded to a suite for my weekend stay at a downtown Delta hotel. Both times no questions asked. Who knows if I would have gotten the upgrade had I waited until arrival at the front desk.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by controller1
I agree with both of you. My data points: Prior to 8/18/18 my Starwood stays (all U.S.) resulted in upgrades to suites approximately 75% of the time. Prior to 8/18 I only stayed with Starwood except for an occasional Hyatt. Since 8/18/18 my legacy-Starwood stays have resulted in suite upgrades approximately 60% of the time and my legacy-Marriott stays have resulted in suite upgrades 0%.....
That's not my experience. Prior to 8/18, I was 10 percent suite upgrades at legacy Starwood properties and 40 percent at legacy Marriott properties. The Marriott suite upgrade language is/was better because it dropped the work "standard" which was subject to abuse. Of course, post 8/18 suite upgrades have dropped at both since everyone is "Platinum" or above and even hotels that want to comply don't know what to do.

Hoping things are better next week.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Newport News Marriott at City Center in Newport News, Virginia, was the latest hotel to upgrade me. As I've done for two or three months now, I asked for a suite upgrade at T-minus 48 hours when I checked in online. It was given without question.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:47 am

I've been fortunate in that my 5 stays, 22 nights thus far, apart from an airport CY, have resulted in my being upgraded to suites. Now I must admit, I occasionally had to do some nudging at check-in, but nothing untoward or DYKWIA. BTW, my suite success rate at Hilton is 100%, with 3 stays/13 nights. I'm not showing off, but merely suggesting that it is harder to deny a request face to face than by email or chat.

Last edited by flyme2; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyme2
I'm not showing off, but merely suggesting that it is harder to deny a request face to face than by email or chat.
Sure, as they say, you can say anything you want as long as you can keep a straight face. However, it's much easier for a front desk to claim the suites are no longer available when you've waited until time of arrival to ask for an upgrade as opposed to asking for an upgrade at the time of check-in, which is as early as T-minus 48 hours. With more and more properties utilizing the mobile key technology this is becoming even more important.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium/ Lifetime Platinum, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I received the other 7 suite upgrades after asking for them either at check-in, always 24-48 hours before my arrival through the Marriott mobile application.
How are you posing the request within the Marriott mobile app for a suite request? Something like, as a Marriott Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite member, do you have any complimentary suites you could assign to me as part of the elite status benefits?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cll1881

How are you posing the request within the Marriott mobile app for a suite request? Something like, as a Marriott Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite member, do you have any complimentary suites you could assign to me as part of the elite status benefits?
I normally say something like, "Hey. I just checked in through the app. I had a question. Do you have an ambassador status suite upgrade available?"

I make a point of prefacing "upgrade" with "suite" because I don't want them to respond, "Well, we've already upgraded you to a high-floor room" or whatever.
kaizen7, xar and Cll1881 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Sure, as they say, you can say anything you want as long as you can keep a straight face. However, it's much easier for a front desk to claim the suites are no longer available when you've waited until time of arrival to ask for an upgrade as opposed to asking for an upgrade at the time of check-in, which is as early as T-minus 48 hours. With more and more properties utilizing the mobile key technology this is becoming even more important.
Coincidentally, I utilized the advance request via online check-in and chat with the property in which I am currently a guest. I was told, all sold out, if there is a cancellation, we'll upgrade you. Upon arrival there was no suite upgrade. A bit of friendly coercion, and a few minutes of keyboard clicking and a couple of telephone calls, and a deluxe suite was found. So it really is a case of either YMMV, or consider that both strategies work, or do not.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Another noncompliant property to avoid: The Washington Marriott at Metro Center.

The property is refusing to follow Marriott's suite upgrade policy because they only have two suites

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30814257-post19.html
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Platinum elite suite upgrade q

i recently stayed at the Marriott Munich airport and was not upgraded into a better room despite the ability to book better rooms at check in (8pm). The receptionist claimed they were all sold out.

Either the reservation system is messed up or the guy lied. In any event, what should I expect in terms of room upgrades as Plat Elite. So far it’s been really never
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You should expect that you are entitled to the upgrade, and you should also expect that many (most?) properties are reluctant to give out what you are entitled to and are willing to lie to cover their asses.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
i recently stayed at the Marriott Munich airport and was not upgraded into a better room despite the ability to book better rooms at check in (8pm). The receptionist claimed they were all sold out.

Either the reservation system is messed up or the guy lied. In any event, what should I expect in terms of room upgrades as Plat Elite. So far it’s been really never
should have called them out on it... (nicely or not depending your style)

but before anyone calls out the new program for this failure, this was like this way before the merger, on both the Marriott and SPG side (more on the SPG side because Marriott didn’t really have a policy on suite upgrades)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Interesting thread, as last night, I was offered a better room for an up charge. See my post in the Mumbai st Regis thread for more information. Not that I am trying to hijack this thread, but I thought that was an interesting development.

Aside from that, I don’t consider higher floors etc upgrades.

Last edited by dimramon; Feb 24, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting experience this weekend at a legacy Marriott property where I have stayed at dozens of times that confirms another data point in the downgrade of the program from the Starwoodization. As a legacy Platinum Premier, before 8/18, the GM and Rooms Manager pulled a list of the handfful of Plat Premiers staying at the property and preupgraded them to suites. On the rare occasion where I wasn't preupgraded, they would take care of it at checkin, This time, however, they explained that all the suites had been preupgraded for people using SNA's. Obviously. that benefits the 50 night a year guest who might not otherwise get a suite upgrade but is a downgrade to the 125-150 night guest, I hadn't realized this might be part of the reason suite upgrades have almost stopped.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Interesting experience this weekend at a legacy Marriott property where I have stayed at dozens of times that confirms another data point in the downgrade of the program from the Starwoodization. As a legacy Platinum Premier, before 8/18, the GM and Rooms Manager pulled a list of the handfful of Plat Premiers staying at the property and preupgraded them to suites. On the rare occasion where I wasn't preupgraded, they would take care of it at checkin, This time, however, they explained that all the suites had been preupgraded for people using SNA's. Obviously. that benefits the 50 night a year guest who might not otherwise get a suite upgrade but is a downgrade to the 125-150 night guest, I hadn't realized this might be part of the reason suite upgrades have almost stopped.
Why not name the property? I imagine this is highly dependent on brand and destination. I can't imagine there are many eligible elites using suite night award certificates for an airport Courtyard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.