Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:42 pm

I asked about upgrades at the Moana Surfrider in Hawaii. I had booked an ocean view tower room, and for while I was staying they had plenty of categories of rooms available (penthouse level, oceanfront tower, Banyan suite, oceanfront suite). I received an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view, a room a couple of floors higher than what I had already. I asked about a suite upgrade, and was told rooms were available, but it would be a paid upgrade (for anything beyond the one category upgrade I'd received). Is this normal Marriott policy at a resort like the Moana Surfrider?

Last edited by anothertraveller12; Nov 27, 2022 at 2:25 am
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anothertraveller12
Is this normal Marriott policy at a resort like the Moana Surfrider?
Marriott now allows properties to exclude suites from the upgrade pool.

I understand Sheraton Waikiki will still upgrade Ambassadors to suites. I suspect the same rule holds at Moana Surfrider, a sister property.
kevino, SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 5:04 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I'n trying to understand Marriott's upgrade policy for last room availability. I'm not upset with how the situation turned out, just curious about what the policy says, and whether this is one of those situations where individual properties have a lot of leeway.

I recently checked in to a hotel in Europe as a Titanium where my SNAs did not clear (as expected given the time of year and destination). However, there was a higher room type available for sale in the app at check-in (same room size, better view, on the list of SNA options), and the view at this property is a major selling point.

I politely asked the FDA if, despite being so busy, any upgrades were available. They said no and that the hotel was sold out. I then mentioned that the higher room type was still available for sale. They called over a colleague who was surprised that a room was for sale on the app, called inhouse reservations, and said inhouse reservations would have to check. They were sincere and were genuinely trying to respond to my request as best they could.

After some time, someone (I didn't catch their title) came to the lobby and explained to me that because that room was the last room available for sale in the hotel (in any category) they could not offer it as a complimentary upgrade, only as a paid upgrade.

They offered to show us the room they had blocked off for us, and for the room type we booked (one category above base), it really was one of the best options from what I could tell based on the floorplan and hotel layout. It always means a lot to me when hotels make the effort to do that.

That said, we wanted the view that we had seen so many times online while planning the trip. The upgrade cost was (a bit) less than the rate difference between the types, and rates had gone up noticeably since we originally booked, so the fee didn't seem unreasonable, even if it's never fun to pony up extra money. Plus, our reservation was for over Christmas, so I believed the person when they said it was the last room available in the hotel.

When we got settled into the room I checked the app, and the higher room type was no longer available for sale but the room type we had originally reserved was. The following day, the hotel had no rooms of any type for sale for the entirety of the remainder of our stay. So, I'm confident that what the hotel reps said is true about availability (it's rare to have confirmation like this), we're having a great stay, and the staff at the hotel have been consistently top-notch.

But my curiosity is still getting the best of me. By the "letter of the law," with the room category being part of the "upgrade pool" (eligible for SNAs) and available at check-in, should it have been a free upgrade, regardless of it being the last room available over Christmas?
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
I find it really is hit or miss. I have stayed in a few Marriott's in the DC/Baltimore area this weekend due to some family that we were supposed to stay with coming down with illness and not wanting to chancing getting sick and instead catching a sporting event or two and spending time with other family that we didn't think we'd get a chance to see. Friday was upgraded with a SNA at the St. Regis DC as well as the further upgrade due to AMEX FHR to a St. Regis Suite. Saturday we were upgraded at the Renaissance Inner Habor to a suite, and Sunday was upgraded to a Suite at the Marriott Crystal Gateway on a reservation made 15 minutes prior. In general, hotels that try to upgrade elites do it all the time and ones that don't never will. There is a FPbS that I have been staying at regularly with Titanium status that even though they have suites available will never upgrade into one and sometimes even getting one of the better King rooms is a stretch.
DJ_Iceman and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Bonvoy upgrade benefits has been watered down by Marriott themself.

Not only they now allow the hotels to block off entire suite inventory from upgrade pool (aka only upgrade to better room only), they also allow hotel to block off rooms/suites if they predict they can sell it.

So apparently Bonvoy will close their eyes if elites never receive their upgrade entitlement as they let the hotel decide.

Some hotels still do their best to upgrade, unfortunately some hotels happily ignore the upgrade benefit.
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dlnewbie
I find it really is hit or miss. I have stayed in a few Marriott's in the DC/Baltimore area this weekend due to some family that we were supposed to stay with coming down with illness and not wanting to chancing getting sick and instead catching a sporting event or two and spending time with other family that we didn't think we'd get a chance to see. Friday was upgraded with a SNA at the St. Regis DC as well as the further upgrade due to AMEX FHR to a St. Regis Suite. Saturday we were upgraded at the Renaissance Inner Habor to a suite, and Sunday was upgraded to a Suite at the Marriott Crystal Gateway on a reservation made 15 minutes prior. In general, hotels that try to upgrade elites do it all the time and ones that don't never will. There is a FPbS that I have been staying at regularly with Titanium status that even though they have suites available will never upgrade into one and sometimes even getting one of the better King rooms is a stretch.
How was the Ren in the Inner Harbor?
I'm normally at the Marriott Waterfront. The rooms are nice there, but the hotel itself is lackluster. The neighborhood is great though, which is what has kept me from staying at the Renaissance. That part of the harbor has seen better days IMO
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Bonvoy upgrade benefits has been watered down by Marriott themself.

Not only they now allow the hotels to block off entire suite inventory from upgrade pool (aka only upgrade to better room only), they also allow hotel to block off rooms/suites if they predict they can sell it.

So apparently Bonvoy will close their eyes if elites never receive their upgrade entitlement as they let the hotel decide.

Some hotels still do their best to upgrade, unfortunately some hotels happily ignore the upgrade benefit.
I just wish there was more transparency regarding upgrade chances. There are properties like Sheraton Waikiki that (apparently) only upgrade AMBs, which is totally fine with me because those are obviously better customers for Marriott than a Titanium like me. However, it would be helpful for the hotel or Marriott to share this information on their site so plats and titaniums can book elsewhere if comp upgrades are important to them.
kevino, SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I would say the chance they publish these matter transparently as you wish is next to impossible.
Because the hotel still want Bonvoy Gold - Platinum - Titanium bookings without the hassle of upgrading these elites.

Marriott should force the properties to upgrade elites based on the Bonvoy apps inventory availability (as in if its available for cash booking : available for upgrade)
But then again the chance of this happening will be close to zero as Marriott happily obliged to the wish of their valued customers.
DallasEsq and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mcsb11
How was the Ren in the Inner Harbor?
I'm normally at the Marriott Waterfront. The rooms are nice there, but the hotel itself is lackluster. The neighborhood is great though, which is what has kept me from staying at the Renaissance. That part of the harbor has seen better days IMO
It's an Ok enough hotel. The area is not as nice as the Waterfront, you have a parking lot, to go restaurant, and a couple of parking garages within a block. The inner harbor is obviously close but you're looking at mostly tourist restaurants and such. If you are here for one of the sporting events its a good area. Lounge was closed when we went but they gave us an intermediate breakfast in the restuarant (basically cold plus hot, only the omelette station excluded).
Old Aug 23, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Mixing upgrade certs

I currently have 5 from end of 2022 expiring end of 2023. Will shortly be able to choose an additional 5. If I recall those are good for a year from date chosen, correct?

Im planning to remove the 5 suite upgrades from mid November travel and use 2 of them for early Oct travel, from the current 5 I have. Shortly after the Oct travel I’ll be able to select another 5. Will I be able to combine the 3 older ones with two new ones?

Last edited by Jonesdds; Aug 23, 2023 at 9:09 pm
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I currently have 5 from end of 2022 expiring end of 2023. Will shortly be able to choose an additional 5. If I recall those are good for a year from date chosen, correct?

Im planning to remove the 5 suite upgrades from mid November travel and use 2 of them for early Oct travel, from the current 5 I have. Shortly after the Oct travel I’ll be able to select another 5. Will I be able to combine the 3 older ones with two new ones?
Yes, but your SNAs that expire in 2023 cannot be used for a 2024 reservation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:59 am

Any favourite hotels to utilize suit night upgrades with ease? I hate feeling awkward about asking for them, any hotels that do so elegantly?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Dkainth
Any favourite hotels to utilize suit night upgrades with ease? I hate feeling awkward about asking for them, any hotels that do so elegantly?
SNAs are all automated. You submit through web and they are approved/declined automatically. You won't talk to anyone about them and local hotel has no control anyway.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:31 pm

oh interesting, thats great to know, thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes, but your SNAs that expire in 2023 cannot be used for a 2024 reservation.
understood, it’s a November stay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.