Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:43 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Just thinking out loud. I dont mind impromptu staycations hence possible to say Book a room today, thru the chat or front desk, request (politely) for an upgrade if approved, great if not, cancel the reservation? One downside is probably last min stays will cost +20/30% more as compared to prebooking.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just be very careful on cancellation terms and assume that a reasonable proportion of times you do this that it will take you ages to actually get the refund given the flaws in Marriott’s IT.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
It could also be that even with more hotels, there is a higher % of Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador members to share those suites with. And don't forget that lot of FS Marriott and even Rens don't have many suites. So maybe most of the legacy SPG members are still staying at Starwood hotels just as before, but now there are more legacy Marriott Rewards members staying there now as well.

Or it could just be that hotel managers know that Marriott isn't as dogmatic on holding hotels to the suite upgrade rules as Starwood used to be.
I would say more of the first one, but some shifty managers will take advantage of second one and make excuses out of merger.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Vince Chan

In developing market, such as south east Asia, it was much easier to get a suite and receive quality elite recognize.

I 'm lucky I don't live and travel in mainland china, too many P overwhelming the hotels.

And how come is that during SPG era , it was much easier to get an suite? But it was not difficult to get an Plat in SPG and much easier to maintain the status with 25s and a max of 3 stay per night.
I doubt about the idea of SE Asian hotels give suite upgrade more easily and give better elite recognition.
It still based on area and hotels own custom.
According to my own experience :
Japan, Thailand , and Bali, I agree, they provide better elite recognition
However, Jakarta and Singapore elite recognition, I believe its on par with Australia, UAE, and US hotels
About suite upgrades, for this year, I stay exclusively in Asia and Australia and my suite upgrade rate can be said as very low.
Even for room upgrades, its only slightly above half.

With so much P in China, if they skew Bonvoy numbers for elites, Bonvoy might think of devalue Plt in the future.

And for SPG era, As PLT I do see higher numbers of room upgrades although suite upgrades are as rare as Bonvoy era.
xar likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by rebadc
I don't know how many duplex penthouses are at this property
I can phantom book at least 3 of these penthouse suites

So that's at least 3 of these rooms available for 9 consecutive nights.
They may be available but that does not mean they are part of the upgrade pool. Try saying I will take an upgrade for however many days you can give me and that you will move to other room later and see their response.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It used to be that for RIs, the "required" upgrades would be from a studio to a 1-bedroom suite. Upgrades to 2-bedroom suites were not a requirement (though some RIs might be give them or be talked into giving them.) I'd guess the 2-bedroom suite upgrades (which would include the penthouse suites) are still not required to be in the upgrade pool. It would be well within the hotel's rights to not upgrade someone for a long-term stay, but nice of the hotel if they would do so for a short-term stay.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I
love
Upgrades

But I also view upgrades as a privilege not a right. If i get a great upgrade I am really appreciative and certainly not expectant of said upgrade

i also figure if I want a particular room type and it really matters, I pay for said room

sounds like you are expecting the best room in the hotel. If you getting the room means you are now bent out of shape perhaps you pay for the room next time. If you treat upgrades as a bonus and not something to expect I promise you’ll be a lot happier when you travel

fyi I’m titianium
I would pay for the room I like and if I was upgraded then its extra benefit.

However, I also see free upgrade for elites are right with some limitation.
After all it was a published benefit for elites.

The limitation : as per t&c said ... only selected suite (cant expect specialty suite etc)
And based on availability. Hotel obviously cant conjure a suite from nothing.
(unfortunately there are some hotel who can manage to do this claim no suite available but then manage to upgrade to the said suite after being pushed by elites )

For long stays however .... its a bit difficult.
On one side, it will lock hotels limited suite to the elite for long period of time.
However, the elite who book long stay actually benefit the hotel by guaranteeing the room will be occupied for the period of stay without any empty period in between.

Personally I wont expect much for these long stays
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I almost feel it unreasonable for an elite to get a free suite for long stays. A couple nights, not too big a deal. But extended stays of a week plus seem unreasonable given these are businesses
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
But extended stays of a week plus seem unreasonable given these are businesses
Are you kidding me? If they didn't offer the elite benefits and upgrades, then, as a business, they could lose the base room rate revenue that same customer is bringing in, earning zero on either the suite or the base room. That makes no sense.

Plus, for other customers, without elite benefits, their revenue across the board wouldn't be as high as it is, which again, would be bad for a business.

Don't have any sympathy for the "poor business" giving away a suite...its not like the guest is staying there for free!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:08 pm

I guess its true .... these elite upgrade will be similar to "discount" for elites ... but instead of reduction in the amount we pay, we got bigger room/suite instead.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Quick update
The OM spoke to his GM this morning and they decided to move us to the duplex penthouse suite.
My wife had already unpacked everything so we are staying in the Queen Suite.

Nice gesture on the hotels part.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
So that Westin that we could not realise our 2 SNAs said that they would refund them back to me. They didn't.

I raised a case with Bonvoy and, instead of adding them back, they took 2 more away.

Now I'm running in circles trying to get those 4 back, customer service said it's been escalated but they have no way to reach their technical team other than through email and it could take 6-8 weeks, even though the saga has been ongoing for 2 months already.

What's the best remedy to try to expedite the proceedings? Hours on the phone, lots of email, this is not acceptable for anybody, let alone a Titanium member...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by techie
What's the best remedy to try to expedite the proceedings? Hours on the phone, lots of email, this is not acceptable for anybody, let alone a Titanium member...
Have you emailed the Lurker here on FT? The address is [email protected] . I did so after a very similar experience - also a Westin, just one SNA taken without an upgrade - and it was remedied quite quickly.

Also, what was the back story on this? Care to name and shame? Did you get compensation from the property? (Feel free to point to another thread if it's already posted somewhere)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Have you emailed the Lurker here on FT? The address is [email protected] . I did so after a very similar experience - also a Westin, just one SNA taken without an upgrade - and it was remedied quite quickly.

Also, what was the back story on this? Care to name and shame? Did you get compensation from the property? (Feel free to point to another thread if it's already posted somewhere)
Thank you for that advice, I will get in touch.

The back story is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31161577-post316.html and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31163627-post326.html.

The SNA from Perry Lane was returned quite quickly, but I'm still wrestling with the Westin, though hopefully for not much longer.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:24 am

Final update: did not get in touch, but those SNAs are back. No email from Bonvoy to accompany their return, but by now I am sick of them and glad that I don't have to read whatever corporate blurb they would have sent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.