Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

What is the consensus these days for how to handle being denied an upgrade at checkin when showing availability on the app?
Are we at a point where it's entirely up to the agent and the "local rules" on what they want to do? i.e. "Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property." (we will do what we want) (that room isn't in our upgrade pool)

A Titanium here preparing for a couple of upcoming stays. (Domestic Westin Resort and SpringHill Suites specifically)
I'm aware of the terms stating "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay."
To me that means if the app shows a premium room or suite available for cash, at the time of checkin at the desk, for the duration of my stay, I should have the ability to be upgraded to it.

What is the recommended course of action it the agent refuses or "is unable to" upgrade to an apparently available room? Ask for FD Manager? Next steps??

Is anything else recommended while still on property if upgrade is not granted? Contact Bonvoy support? Etc?

Thanks in advance for any comments and recommendations.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by spectrablue96
What is the consensus these days for how to handle being denied an upgrade at checkin when showing availability on the app?
Are we at a point where it's entirely up to the agent and the "local rules" on what they want to do? i.e. "Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property." (we will do what we want) (that room isn't in our upgrade pool)

A Titanium here preparing for a couple of upcoming stays. (Domestic Westin Resort and SpringHill Suites specifically)
I'm aware of the terms stating "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay."
To me that means if the app shows a premium room or suite available for cash, at the time of checkin at the desk, for the duration of my stay, I should have the ability to be upgraded to it.

What is the recommended course of action it the agent refuses or "is unable to" upgrade to an apparently available room? Ask for FD Manager? Next steps??

Is anything else recommended while still on property if upgrade is not granted? Contact Bonvoy support? Etc?

Thanks in advance for any comments and recommendations.
Basically nothing because Marriott Corporate allows for "Pools" or "Groupings" of rooms that aren't available/subject to upgrades. Some hotels have make more available some don't at all. It's kinda like when airliners have a few first class seats left and they don't hand them out until at the gate rather then the certain day window you get (IE: Delta 5 days for diamonds). It'd be nice if there was a policy at 4PM that all rooms open up for upgrade but hotels still can sell rooms late, where-as once a plane takes off it makes sense to just upgrade.

For a springhill suite or Westin, upgrade are probably not happening. I'd check how many rooms they have of certain types that you'd want anyway because a springhill suite has what maybe a slightly bigger "suite?" and Westin's for me usually are just certain better views or higher floor.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:13 am

Upgrades are up to a standard suite. Tried opening the T&C page to find the lingo but the T&C page is down for me right now (get the, "Something happened" error message).
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
That is one interpretation, but unfortunately it is not Marriott's interpretation. Marriott essentially interprets the "identified by each property" language as giving each hotel the right to decide what rooms are available for upgrade.

As to your "how to handle?" question, there really isn't much you can do except vote with your feet. If upgrades are really important to you, avoid properties that are stingy with them. I think arguing with FD agents or even GMs is generally unproductive.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Exactly. To succeed in this game one must have realistic expectations, get inured to being Bonvyed, and move on when the inevitable happens.

If necessary, put the property on your personal "do not return" list.

Beaucoup Bonvy!

🌴🎶🍾💚​​​​​​​
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I just had this situation. I'm a Titanium member who booked a standard king room at a Renaissance in Europe for a 1 night stay about 1 hour before checkin. The only other rooms available for sale were in the junior suite category. I checked in at 6.30pm and was told I was being upgraded to a premium king room. I gently enquired about whether an upgrade to a junior suite might be possible and I was told "oh no sorry we have none of those rooms available. We are sold out tonight, but don't worry, we have got you a really nice room".

I politely mentioned that the app is still showing a junior suite available for sale tonight and said I thought Marriott rules meant I would be upgraded to the best available room including suites at check in. She typed away at her computer for 30seconds and then called over her manager and they both looked at the computer. Eventually the manager said "the problem is we only have 1 junior suite left". I said "Ah OK, I totally get that, it's just that I thought the upgrade rules meant I would still get that since it was available". The manager begrudgingly gave me the junior suite upgrade and was polite about it.

My questions are:
1- Did I interpret the rules correctly?
2- I get that my behavior would probably be seen as entitled but if I have interpreted the rules correctly, is it wrong to politely but firmly ask that the rules be followed? The same goes for hotels that refuse the guaranteed 4pm late checkout etc. Marriott makes certain promises about what benefits we will receive and I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that these promises be honored.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I just had this situation. I'm a Titanium member who booked a standard king room at a Renaissance in Europe for a 1 night stay about 1 hour before checkin. The only other rooms available for sale were in the junior suite category. I checked in at 6.30pm and was told I was being upgraded to a premium king room. I gently enquired about whether an upgrade to a junior suite might be possible and I was told "oh no sorry we have none of those rooms available. We are sold out tonight, but don't worry, we have got you a really nice room".

I politely mentioned that the app is still showing a junior suite available for sale tonight and said I thought Marriott rules meant I would be upgraded to the best available room including suites at check in. She typed away at her computer for 30seconds and then called over her manager and they both looked at the computer. Eventually the manager said "the problem is we only have 1 junior suite left". I said "Ah OK, I totally get that, it's just that I thought the upgrade rules meant I would still get that since it was available". The manager begrudgingly gave me the junior suite upgrade and was polite about it.

My questions are:
1- Did I interpret the rules correctly?
2- I get that my behavior would probably be seen as entitled but if I have interpreted the rules correctly, is it wrong to politely but firmly ask that the rules be followed? The same goes for hotels that refuse the guaranteed 4pm late checkout etc. Marriott makes certain promises about what benefits we will receive and I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that these promises be honored.
you are certainly reading it right but if I was in your shoes and staying for 1 night, I wouldn't bother asking for a suite..
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I get that my behavior would probably be seen as entitled but if I have interpreted the rules correctly, is it wrong to politely but firmly ask that the rules be followed? The same goes for hotels that refuse the guaranteed 4pm late checkout etc. Marriott makes certain promises about what benefits we will receive and I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that these promises be honored.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with politely insisting that Marriott properties live up to their side of the bargain.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is absolutely nothing wrong with politely insisting that Marriott properties live up to their side of the bargain.
This.

The hotels already have extremely generous leeway from the program by having most of the benefits available on when available basis.
And yet our tier qualification requirements are fixed without any leeway.
Its only fair if elites demand that their benefit is fulfilled.
Enigma368 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks, I just get fed up with some properties who want all the perks that come with being part of the chain but then whine and moan about having to honor their side of the deal. Most hotels are fine and this one was mostly fine, but I put a lot of effort into getting my titanium status because of the benefits promised and I am just at a point where I feel it is not unreasonable to ask that the promised benefits be honored.

I also have a real pet peev of being told "we are sold out tonight but don't worry we have given you a real nice room". It is quite often the case that are not even close to sold out and a "really nice room" almost always means a marginal upgrade.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
So, let me understand correctly, as a titanium, if I’m staying at, say, the st. Regis Cairo from September 4-7, just before I approach the front desk to check in, I should open the app, check to see what rooms are available for booking on December 4-7. If I see that a suite is available for booking, when the front desk clerk proudly announces that they’ve upgraded me to a “superior king room” or whatever, and I ask about a suite, only to be told “I’m sorry, but we have no suites available”, I should then say to the front desk (very politely “but I see right here in the app that the John Astor suite (or whatever) is available for the duration of my stay and the rule is the best available room or suite at checkin. May I please have that suite?”
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I also have a real pet peev of being told "we are sold out tonight but don't worry we have given you a real nice room". It is quite often the case that are not even close to sold out and a "really nice room" almost always means a marginal upgrade.
Agreed. I hate being lied to. I have zero hesitation rejecting a bad room assignment.
Originally Posted by jimrpa
the rule is the best available room or suite at checkin. May I please have that suite?”
No that is not the rule.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
So, let me understand correctly, as a titanium, if I’m staying at, say, the st. Regis Cairo from September 4-7, just before I approach the front desk to check in, I should open the app, check to see what rooms are available for booking on December 4-7. If I see that a suite is available for booking, when the front desk clerk proudly announces that they’ve upgraded me to a “superior king room” or whatever, and I ask about a suite, only to be told “I’m sorry, but we have no suites available”, I should then say to the front desk (very politely “but I see right here in the app that the John Astor suite (or whatever) is available for the duration of my stay and the rule is the best available room or suite at checkin. May I please have that suite?”
I think the rule is "best available room up to and including standard suite". So you can't expect or request the presidential suite but you can request their lowest level of standard suite if it is available. This is my understanding at least but others may be able to confirm. I'm not sure what the definition of "standard suite" would be exactly but I think it is fair to say that a junior suite would not be better than a standard suite.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:19 pm

I think the rule is "best available room up to and including standard suite". So you can't expect or request the presidential suite but you can request their lowest level of standard suite if it is available. This is my understanding at least but others may be able to confirm. I'm not sure what the definition of "standard suite" would be exactly but I think it is fair to say that a junior suite would not be better than a standard suite.
That's basically correct, except that Marriott has weakened the T&C to let properties decide what room and suite categories are in the upgrade pool. So certain properties, including StR NYC and SF will no longer upgrade to suites (there are always exceptions, but this is the policy), while Sheraton Waikiki will only upgrade AMB to suites.
SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property

From the T&C
While it does sounds generous in the beginning, the bold part make the policy sort of useless especially when the hotel management are stingy.
If the participating property decide that they only want to upgrade elites to certain room facing aircon unit then it already fulfill the t&c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.