Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
How was your stay if it has occurred? I have until Monday to cancel my reservation with no penalty. I'm looking at other properties at the moment. Not just to use a SNA, but for better ratings of the hotel itself. But with cost as a factor, this one seems to be still a factor as it has suites and others in the same price range don't.

Guessing I'm just hopeful that they'd treat Plat Prem. Elite a little better and show a little love.

...... Just not expecting any special treatment at this time from the Lexington.
The Lexington is on my "prefer to avoid" list, but not my absolutely avoid. Even as an Ambassador level and repeat guest, I never feel any love there. I always have to argue about suite availability, have them tell me none are available, then show them the app with suites for booking, which then leads to discussion in the back, and sometimes an upgrade. If they can't pre-upgrade a repeat guest at Ambassador level, then who are they going to upgrade.

That being said, it's often at extremely low rates. NYC is pretty slow this week and my corporate rate at the Lexington for the cozy room was $72, which is silly considering the location. The property is nothing to sell but the rooms are fine, the location is excellent, and the rates are often very low compared to any other properties. Now .... if I didn't have to wait 20 minutes to get the free drink form the resort fee .... But ... since rates were low at other properties, I still booked elsewhere.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The Lexington is on my "prefer to avoid" list, but not my absolutely avoid. Even as an Ambassador level and repeat guest, I never feel any love there. I always have to argue about suite availability, have them tell me none are available, then show them the app with suites for booking, which then leads to discussion in the back, and sometimes an upgrade. If they can't pre-upgrade a repeat guest at Platinum level, then who are they going to upgrade.

That being said, it's often at extremely low rates. NYC is pretty slow this week and my corporate rate at the Lexington for the cozy room was $72, which is silly considering the location. The property is nothing to sell but the rooms are fine, the location is excellent, and the rates are often very low compared to any other properties. Now .... if I didn't have to wait 20 minutes to get the free drink form the resort fee .... But ... since rates were low at other properties, I still booked elsewhere.
Thanks.... I think this solidifies things for me. As the trip into NYC is an extension of a work trip I have in Long Island and a chance for me to spend a couple days in The City before jetting back to SFO, I'm going to cancel and book elsewhere.

Again, this is solely based on feedback here. There are a few other Marriott places that I've spotted that have low rates using my AAA discount that seem better suited for me to be a tourist for 2-days. The site at the Lexington keeps trying to upsell me for a Queen size room but doesn't list the suites being available for SNA but are available for direct booking. Ugh!!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott PLT
Just an update from my earlier posts. My complaint about the Marriot that confirmed my booking of a suite and then did not want to provide said suite.. On Jan 24th I was told I would get a response in 3-5 days. On Feb 1st I sent in a second email asking for an update and I was a little peeved that I did not get the previously promised update. It is now Feb 5th and still no word. I've sent in now a third email asking and referencing the first two emails.

BonVoy(age to good customer service).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by h2rdw1r3d
Just an update from my earlier posts. My complaint about the Marriot that confirmed my booking of a suite and then did not want to provide said suite.. On Jan 24th I was told I would get a response in 3-5 days. On Feb 1st I sent in a second email asking for an update and I was a little peeved that I did not get the previously promised update. It is now Feb 5th and still no word. I've sent in now a third email asking and referencing the first two emails.

Who are you emailing?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by h2rdw1r3d

Name and shame the property ?

Back to the topic, how come people can see which room theya re pre assigned before actual check in ?
My apps and website trip list only show King or Double room only
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Name and shame the property ?

Back to the topic, how come people can see which room theya re pre assigned before actual check in ?
My apps and website trip list only show King or Double room only
Depending on the hotel, I often see the rooms which are pre-assigned, and the upgrade often shows.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Has anyone else experienced this: you check in online and then on the day of arrival you get a message from the app saying "you've been upgraded" only to receive the same category room you originally reserved at check-in?

It's happened to me at a handful of properties. One time I even got the "you've been upgraded" message after I had already checked-in to the original category room.

Now the most likely explanation for this is that this is just another Marriott IT fail, however in my more cynical moments I have wondered if Marriott Corp has some way of tracking how many elite reservations are upgraded in the app and if the individual properties are trying to game those stats by showing more upgrades than they are actually giving out.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:54 pm

So, just for the record, I have gone from close to a 99% suite upgrade average with Starwood, to virtually zero with Marriott. The odd time front desk tells me I've been upgraded, it's only been to a similar room on a different floor. I have only once been upgraded to a suite by a Marriott property since the change - and I got the same upgrade from the same property even before the change. Mostly, there is no upgrade whatsoever, and a shrug of the shoulders when I ask about it.

So without the old SPG perks, I am taking a lot of my business to competing properties these days, especially on one of our many family vacations. After all, if I have to pay for a suite, why would I limit myself to just one (often most expensive) brand?

Cheers,
RobOnLI, margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Has anyone else experienced this: you check in online and then on the day of arrival you get a message from the app saying "you've been upgraded" only to receive the same category room you originally reserved at check-in?

It's happened to me at a handful of properties. One time I even got the "you've been upgraded" message after I had already checked-in to the original category room.

Now the most likely explanation for this is that this is just another Marriott IT fail, however in my more cynical moments I have wondered if Marriott Corp has some way of tracking how many elite reservations are upgraded in the app and if the individual properties are trying to game those stats by showing more upgrades than they are actually giving out.
I've had this happen, but it's been at properties that claim a room on the high floor is an upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
So, just for the record, I have gone from close to a 99% suite upgrade average with Starwood, to virtually zero with Marriott. The odd time front desk tells me I've been upgraded, it's only been to a similar room on a different floor. I have only once been upgraded to a suite by a Marriott property since the change - and I got the same upgrade from the same property even before the change. Mostly, there is no upgrade whatsoever, and a shrug of the shoulders when I ask about it.

So without the old SPG perks, I am taking a lot of my business to competing properties these days, especially on one of our many family vacations. After all, if I have to pay for a suite, why would I limit myself to just one (often most expensive) brand?

Cheers,
As others have said before, it often depends on the brand and the city. Many of legacy Marriott's Marriott and Renaissance properties, particularly airport hotels and even suburban office park hotels, don't have suites. If they have suites, it's maybe one or two suites for the whole hotel. Other times it's a hospitality suite with a drop-down Murphy bed. I think the same is true at legacy Starwood's Sheraton and maybe even Westin properties.

As an ambassador, I've had a suite upgrade for 9 of my last 12 stays. Of those, my ambassador pre-confirmed 2 suite upgrades before arrival. I received the other 7 suite upgrades after asking for them either at check-in, always 24-48 hours before my arrival through the Marriott mobile application.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
In Marriottland, an "upgraded" room is often times just on the club floor or a higher floor...very different from what Starwood considered to be an upgrade
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
In Marriottland, an "upgraded" room is often times just on the club floor or a higher floor...very different from what Starwood considered to be an upgrade
Oh, I saw many 'upgrades' as an SPG Plat in the booked room category on the SPG Floor. Check-in time, length of stay, and ratio of suites to rooms play a part.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Of course - just like some report getting suites with Marriott. YMMV.

End of the day, Starwood had much more "friendly" suite language as we know vs. Marriott (and old habits are hard to break), so not surprised at some of the declines "we" are seeing.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oh, I saw many 'upgrades' as an SPG Plat in the booked room category on the SPG Floor. Check-in time, length of stay, and ratio of suites to rooms play a part.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course - just like some report getting suites with Marriott. YMMV.

End of the day, Starwood had much more "friendly" suite language as we know vs. Marriott (and old habits are hard to break), so not surprised at some of the declines "we" are seeing.
I agree with both of you. My data points: Prior to 8/18/18 my Starwood stays (all U.S.) resulted in upgrades to suites approximately 75% of the time. Prior to 8/18 I only stayed with Starwood except for an occasional Hyatt. Since 8/18/18 my legacy-Starwood stays have resulted in suite upgrades approximately 60% of the time and my legacy-Marriott stays have resulted in suite upgrades 0%.....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
... I've also reached out to properties that had suites I might want using the chat feature [early, the morning of arrival] ... One property took a full day to respond to a chat message.
I sent a request as soon as I'd checked in yesterday (Tuesday) for a stay on Thursday. They haven't replied yet (just got "Thank you for reaching out .." when I first hit 'em up, and then "We apologize for the delay ..." 5 mins later), but nothing since. I'll ping 'em again tomorrow morning, so we'll see. Ex-SPG property, FWIW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.