Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I'm unclear why this is holier-than-thou
The continual pejorative usage of gaming/maximizing/we're better, doesn't strike you as holier than thou?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We already know and have confirmed that in November, all SPG legacy hotels will get a new system for check in that will designate Silver, Gold, Plat, Plat Premier, and Plat Premier with Ambassador levels. That must be true for Marriott hotels, too. That wasn't true in Marriott for Plat Premier, and that wasn't true in SPG for differences between Platinum levels.
You're incorrect that the Marriott system didn't/doesn't designate Plat Premiers. There has been a code for Plat Premiers for years that is distinct from Plat, X4 vs P6. Not every hotel recognized the difference but many did. I know that some GM's and Room Managers ran lists before arrival and upgraded Plat Premiers to excellent suites (Marriott Waikiki/Hotel Chicago just within the past month).

The SPG side didn't distinguish between levels of plats. From other posters, I believe you are correct that the legacy SPG properties didn't give any special treatment or priority to those with ambassadors absent contact from the ambassador (and the vast majority don't appear to have a proactive ambassador like you do).

It's unclear whether legacy MR properties will recognize that someone has an ambassador and prioritize but I have three stays this week so we'll see!

Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect we will see little change. Properties that were generous before will continue to be generous. Properties that denied upgrades on various bogus grounds will continue to play that game.
+1 I've certainly had properties play games with the upgrade rules on both the legacy MR and legacy SPG side .... from the JW Cabo/Ren NYC Midtown to the Westin Alexandria and W Scottsdale. Of course, others were generous.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's hard to put a finger on it, but Marriott feels much more US-focused
Marriott's bread and butter is the US-based business traveler. I suppose that's why they always blast CNN in the lounge (a practice I absolutely despise).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott's bread and butter is the US-based business traveler. I suppose that's why they always blast CNN in the lounge (a practice I absolutely despise).
Could be worse. Be glad it isn’t Fox News.
Nevsky, JBauer, dsquared37 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Could be worse. Be glad it isn’t Fox News.
Can I go with none of the above .... maybe the BBC or Bloomberg!

On a different note, looking at the SNA rules since I'm not familiar with it

Under the old SPG rules: "It’s a one-night confirmable room upgrade to a suite or select premium room."

Under the new Marriott rules: "a one-night confirmable upgrade to a standard suite or select premium room."

Setting aside the meaning of "standard suite," how often does this mean an upgrade to a premium room? I'd hate to use one of these and just get the same rooms I'm getting anyway?

And yes, BH ... I know you'll say these only matter at StR
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Some legacy SPG properties (w hollywood) might have already running the new system. Looking from the key sleeve they gave me, it said platinum premier elite (with spg logo on it) not sure if they just run out the plt one though

no upgrade given though ... got a standard room on lv 10 that facing carpark and other building wall

Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
On a different note, looking at the SNA rules since I'm not familiar with it

Under the old SPG rules: "It’s a one-night confirmable room upgrade to a suite or select premium room."

Under the new Marriott rules: "a one-night confirmable upgrade to a standard suite or select premium room."

Setting aside the meaning of "standard suite," how often does this mean an upgrade to a premium room? I'd hate to use one of these and just get the same rooms I'm getting anyway?

And yes, BH ... I know you'll say these only matter at StR
Suite vs premium room is entirely dependent on the property. Some hotels only include lower level suite categories (sometimes only junior suites, sometimes one bedroom suites). Other hotels include premium ocean view rooms and junior suites.

If and when the functionality for using SNAs is restored with Marriott to look like it did with SPG, you would be able to view and select the room and suite types offered in the SNA pool. So you don’t necessarily have to select a room or suite type for which you don’t want to waste SNAs.

In general, I’d expect a hotel with very few suites to have more premium room types in the SNA pool. I’d expect a hotel with a higher proportion of suites to have fewer premium room types and more junior suite and proper suites in the SNA pool.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Does Marriott use the exact wording for sna like the old SPG T&c?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Suite vs premium room is entirely dependent on the property. Some hotels only include lower level suite categories (sometimes only junior suites, sometimes one bedroom suites). Other hotels include premium ocean view rooms and junior suites.

If and when the functionality for using SNAs is restored with Marriott to look like it did with SPG, you would be able to view and select the room and suite types offered in the SNA pool. So you don’t necessarily have to select a room or suite type for which you don’t want to waste SNAs.
Thanks! That's helpful to know.

I see my reservations at the end of the week allow me to select SNA's for use but didn't click through to see what would happen.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Does Marriott use the exact wording for sna like the old SPG T&c?
Marriott inserted the word "standard" which is really an SPG term anyway:

Under the old SPG rules: "a one-night confirmable room upgrade to a suite or select premium room."

Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks! That's helpful to know.

I see my reservations at the end of the week allow me to select SNA's for use but didn't click through to see what would happen.
Feel free to click through to see the room types being offered. You don't have to accept any of them. When Renaissance BCN offered me a 30 sq m Executive Room, I quickly canceled the SNA request.
C17PSGR, Kacee and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Feel free to click through to see the room types being offered. You don't have to accept any of them. When Renaissance BCN offered me a 30 sq m Executive Room, I quickly canceled the SNA request.
Thanks! I just did ... the lovely Philadelphia West Marriott offered a View King and an Executive King (it has three suites/300 rooms), the Buenos Aires Park offered a Corner Suite. The process looks pretty easy and seems to be working (except for the Philadelphia West not following the spirit of the program, of course).
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Hi! New to this thread and I tried scrolling through to read for the answers I need but I couldn’t find them, so my apologies if my question has already been answered..

how would I go about getting a room upgrade as a platinum elite? Would it happen automatically based on availability? Or will I have to inquire about it when checking in? This is my first time receiving platinum and I’m not sure how to utilize my benefits..

secondly, does anyone know if you can apply the SNA’s at all suites properties? Specifically st Regis Maldives and W Maldives?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:15 pm

Thanks! I just did ... the lovely Philadelphia West Marriott offered a View King and an Executive King (it has three suites/300 rooms), the Buenos Aires Park offered a Corner Suite. The process looks pretty easy and seems to be working (except for the Philadelphia West not following the spirit of the program, of course).
I guess Philadelphia West read SNA as RNA .... room night award
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Anndr000
Hi! New to this thread and I tried scrolling through to read for the answers I need but I couldn’t find them, so my apologies if my question has already been answered..

how would I go about getting a room upgrade as a platinum elite? Would it happen automatically based on availability? Or will I have to inquire about it when checking in? This is my first time receiving platinum and I’m not sure how to utilize my benefits..

secondly, does anyone know if you can apply the SNA’s at all suites properties? Specifically st Regis Maldives and W Maldives?
room upgrade, according to t&c it should be automatic based on the availability. But some properties try to be stingy and needs to be requested.

SNA to all suite property, some property gives you upgrade from their basic suite (St Regis Bali I believe) and some just didnt allow SNA to be used (iirc Al Maha dont have option to apply SNA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.