Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Old Oct 1, 18, 9:11 am
  #106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MIA
Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 393
I got a certificate back today that I complained about by email a little over 3 weeks ago. Other than the near eternity it took to get a response, I am fairly happy with the outcome. They extended validity by an entire year, they did not insult me in the mail (it was polite and professional actually) and indeed, it shows up in my account again.

This is the first time Marriott actually fixed something I complained about - still - I have one positive experience now.
flying_geek is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 9:26 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 105
Unable to Redeem Points in Tel Aviv - a terrible customer service experience

Thought I would share a dreadful customer service experience. I wanted to make a points booking at the Renaissance Tel Aviv with a 3 November Check-In and a 5 November Check-Out (when there are basic rooms available). Assuming there was a simple technological error, I called and asked to redeem points. The agent curtly explained that "no blackout dates" means no blackout dates for the number of rooms set aside for points redemption (irrespective of whether there are basic rooms available). I asked to speak to a supervisor who suggested that I instead book the Autograph Collection Hotel in Herzliya. I asked if I might use more points for a better room at Renaissance and she said that wasn't an option. I explained that this differed considerably from my experience with SPG and she rather aggressively told me to check the T*Cs. I said that I was disappointed; she said "thank you" and hung up. I think the Marriott phone staff need better training.
mysteriouscdn is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 10:03 am
  #108  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
Originally Posted by mysteriouscdn View Post
she rather aggressively told me to check the T*Cs.
That was good advice. Have you read the T&Cs post program merger?

There are basic, repetitive questions asked in these forums day after day by people who haven't read (or can't bring themselves to accept) the T&Cs.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 10:17 am
  #109  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,307
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
That was good advice. Have you read the T&Cs post program merger?

There are basic, repetitive questions asked in these forums day after day by people who haven't read (or can't bring themselves to accept) the T&Cs.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting the OP was wrong? This is the relevant part of the T&Cs:

"3.2.n. Blackout dates refer to a limited number of dates when a Participating Property could choose not to permit Members to redeem Points for Awards, but the Company has a No Blackout Dates benefit so that if there is a standard room available for booking by any means, whether by cash, credit or Points, then a Member can reserve the room using Points."
margarita girl likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 12:38 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,646
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting the OP was wrong? This is the relevant part of the T&Cs:

"3.2.n. Blackout dates refer to a limited number of dates when a Participating Property could choose not to permit Members to redeem Points for Awards, but the Company has a No Blackout Dates benefit so that if there is a standard room available for booking by any means, whether by cash, credit or Points, then a Member can reserve the room using Points."
We are still in transition hell where Marriott corporate claims the policy is now aligned with what SPG says while the actual operators are going by the old rules (or making them up as they go along). The key here is that Marriott has zero enforcement, unlike SPG. So I think we can expect these sorts of stories to continue until either Marriott quietly rescinds their policy (and the language) or actually enforces the rules. Or else this goes on forever, which I think is most likely.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 2:03 pm
  #111  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,307
Sure, I was just confused as to why the OP was rather aggressively being told he was an idiot who hadn't read the T&Cs, when as far as I can tell he had correctly interpreted them in the first place.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 3:41 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,646
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Sure, I was just confused as to why the OP was rather aggressively being told he was an idiot who hadn't read the T&Cs, when as far as I can tell he had correctly interpreted them in the first place.
There are lots of apologists floating around the internet, or maybe they just naturally align themselves with authority.
Sabai and supatight80 like this.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 3:01 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Posts: 1,746
Customer service hitting an all time low.

How bad can the customer service get. I reported a missing stay and this is the response I received. ... is the point in contacting customer service if they refuse to lift a finger. How lazy can someone really be? All the information is in the Marriott system.

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to Customer Care in regards to your missing credit. It is my pleasure to assist you.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa. I apologize you were not credited the correct number of nights. In order to correctly credit your account, please send a copy of your hotel bill to:

[email protected]

Please be sure to include your membership number, if it is not listed on your folio. This may take up to seven days to be credited.

Best Regards,

Megan B.

Associate, Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC

tfong007 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:03 pm
  #114  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 25,020
Did you contact them via the Missing Stay Request function?
CPRich is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 7:20 am
  #115  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,314
Originally Posted by tfong007 View Post
How bad can the customer service get. I reported a missing stay and this is the response I received. ... is the point in contacting customer service if they refuse to lift a finger. How lazy can someone really be? All the information is in the Marriott system.

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to Customer Care in regards to your missing credit. It is my pleasure to assist you.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa. I apologize you were not credited the correct number of nights. In order to correctly credit your account, please send a copy of your hotel bill to:

[email protected]

Please be sure to include your membership number, if it is not listed on your folio. This may take up to seven days to be credited.

Best Regards,

Megan B.

Associate, Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC


If it wasn't for including the property name, I'd say that was an automated message. It would be giving their IT too much credit to think they merged the name from your request to generate the message. Still boiler plate, manual or automated. Can't stop thinking how much of this is calculated action to get you to go away. I would think a simple query of the hotel data would yield confirmation of the stay and how much was charged.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 8:06 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NY, NY
Programs: DL GM, United Silver, SPG Plat, Kimpton IC, AA Pleb
Posts: 64
From the SPG side, 300 total night Plat here since 2015. I have noticeably seen customer service levels deteriorate down to telecom/utility levels.

Today's example: I called the SPG Plat line with a Marriott reservation to apply a SNA, because I couldn't log into Marriott.com. big mistake. "Platinum Concierge" asked me if I booked through a third party, because she can't find the reservation (booked through Marriott.com). Transfers me without asking to the general marriott 1800 line, get another agent who tries but says it's not possible and I have to have the hotel directly apply the SNA - never heard of this, is that true?

Either way, after 15 minutes wasted i'm not really in the mood to spend more time on the line. I'm also not really in the mood to spend any more money (personal or corporate) with this brand. What a joke. RIP SPG!
boeingguy1 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 11:26 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 625
Hit my Ritz $10k spend back in July for Gold to be converted to Plat after change over. The spend wasn't processed by Marriott until August 26th so after a ton of back and forth with them, they're standing by it. Sucks.
phant0m is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 10:42 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 8,169
I'm beyond fed up with the lack of customer service at Marriott. I'm Lifetime PP but why should my status matter?

I have two stays from August that are missing. They were booked and stayed under my old SPG #. They never posted there. Since then I merged my accounts. I submitted missing stay requests through the website over 6 weeks ago. Nothing. I have called several times and all Marriott does is transfer me to "SPG". SPG tells me to submit them online. After I tell them multiple times that I already have they tell me to email them to [email protected]. I got an auto reply from that address telling me it can take up to 10 days to get a reply. It's been more than 10 days.

I just called Marriott tonight (I only call at night because that's when there's almost no wait for an agent) and yet again they sent me in an endless transfer loop getting nowhere fast.

Not only is their support line utterly useless, as a frequent traveler we are utterly helpless in getting anything resolved. There is no escalation, there is no ticket being created to be tracked and followed. What are we to do?

I think I'm quickly getting on board with this idea of a boycott because this is just ridiculous.

-RM
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Nov 1, 18, 12:23 am
  #119  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Guangzhou
Programs: SPG
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
I'm beyond fed up with the lack of customer service at Marriott. I'm Lifetime PP but why should my status matter?

I have two stays from August that are missing. They were booked and stayed under my old SPG #. They never posted there. Since then I merged my accounts. I submitted missing stay requests through the website over 6 weeks ago. Nothing. I have called several times and all Marriott does is transfer me to "SPG". SPG tells me to submit them online. After I tell them multiple times that I already have they tell me to email them to [email protected]. I got an auto reply from that address telling me it can take up to 10 days to get a reply. It's been more than 10 days.

I just called Marriott tonight (I only call at night because that's when there's almost no wait for an agent) and yet again they sent me in an endless transfer loop getting nowhere fast.

Not only is their support line utterly useless, as a frequent traveler we are utterly helpless in getting anything resolved. There is no escalation, there is no ticket being created to be tracked and followed. What are we to do?

I think I'm quickly getting on board with this idea of a boycott because this is just ridiculous.

-RM
Hi RobOnLI,

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have come across about the missing stays.

It normally takes up to 10 days for Research team to work on missing stays request. However, it may takes longer time as the workload increases after the merger.

If you may forward your hotel folios to us via email below, we are happy to look into the missing stays for you.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker III is offline  
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:32 am
  #120  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,627
"The merger" really happened two years ago...it is frustrating that this is still an excuse, they have had two years to prepare, to staff up, etc.. It's clear Marriott wasn't ready for all this. SMH.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
UA-NYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread