Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Unfortunately, both the hotel and MR were correct. Breakfast is not a benefit at this hotel. See (5). Also, be aware of (4) as well.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#join

xiii. Autograph CollectionŽ Hotels - all locations except for:

A. Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in the Loyalty Program as follows:
(4) Points or Miles may be earned on room rate only.

(5) Limited benefits are provided as described in Section 1.3, Section 3.7, Section 4, except for the breakfast option associated with the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift benefit which is not available, and Section 6.4.

Edit: oops, I see ryw beat me to it.

Last edited by Finkface; Dec 23, 2018 at 4:12 pm Reason: Someone beat me to it
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:27 pm

Weren’t the Atlantis and Cosmopolitan fairly recent exclusions from the breakfast benefit ? I can’t recall if they were specifically named when the combined program launched and initial terms and conditions released . If they were added at a later date , then I can easily see why there would be some confusion.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Marriott's terrible customer service

Hi All,

I am fed up with Marriott's 'upgraded' system and with their customer service people. How hard it is to credit missing stays? I've been Plat with Marriott for 7 consecutive years 2007 to 2014 and then I quit because of exactly the same issues that I'm having right now with their customer service.
Earlier in the year I've made Diamond with HH and decided to stay with Marriott for the rest of the year (6 weeks total). Everything was fine until their system upgrade on December 10th or 11th.
That was actually in the middle of my Aloft stay (Dec 8 to Dec 13). On the evening of the 9th I've received printed letter in my room stating that they are switching to better system and that at the check out I will receive 2 invoices. First one for Dec 8-11 and second for Dec 11-13. And guess what? I'm missing nights and points from 11-13. Then after the weekend I went back to the same hotel for Dec 15-20 stay.
That stay is also missing...
Earlier today I've called Plat line to request missing nights. After being on hold for 30 minutes somebody picked up. The person on the phone was useless at best. First, he was claiming that I am giving him made up confirmation numbers. Then he was claiming that I probably made booking via OTA (made all 6 reservations using MR mobile app). Since I don't have my paper bills anymore (submitted them with my expense report) I've asked him for electronic copies. He doesn't have them as I can't provide confirmation numbers. Because I don't have copies of my bills, I can't submit missing stays online. It sends me to the Plat customer service line. Catch 22.
Jokingly, I've told him that since they don't have any record of me staying on those 2 occasions, I will submit credit dispute with Amex to get my money back. After that he said that he can credit my 2 night stays, but he won't give me any points. WTH???
After explaining to him that their new system sucks big time and a lot of people have the same problem after the upgrade, he said that there is nothing wrong with the system and he won't give me any points.
That ended our conversation.
Really? I have to fight to get my benefits? Is there some Marriott's email address where I could get some response? I guess I'm spoiled with Hilton's very responsive customer service.
This is exactly why I switched to Hilton few years ago. There is nothing wrong with Marriott's hotels or the staff running them, but the customer service is probably one of the worst in the industry.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Amex Platinum
Smile Your Experinece with Starwood Platinum Liaison since the merger

What has been your experience with the Platinum Liaison since the merger? My experience has gone from great to decidedly mediocre. Since the merger, the responses that I receive from Platinum Liaison range from "we don't know" to "we can't do that", all for tasks that were instantly done in the past.

For instance, I asked for help with a billing question (not answered by the property), and the agent basically shrugged. I asked someone else about missing points, and was told "I don't know". I asked for a supervisor, and I'm still waiting for a response.

Am I having bad luck - or is this a trend?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Others have reported similar experiences. However, AFAIK there's no longer a Platinum Concierge/Liason line. Since August 18th, all calls seem to just be going to some general customer service line, with the exception of people having Ambassador Service.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NYC_Girl
What has been your experience with the Platinum Liaison since the merger? My experience has gone from great to decidedly mediocre. Since the merger, the responses that I receive from Platinum Liaison range from "we don't know" to "we can't do that", all for tasks that were instantly done in the past.

For instance, I asked for help with a billing question (not answered by the property), and the agent basically shrugged. I asked someone else about missing points, and was told "I don't know". I asked for a supervisor, and I'm still waiting for a response.

Am I having bad luck - or is this a trend?
The impression I'm getting is they have merged the two programs but they haven't gone out of their way to retrain the lot. So if you have a question regarding what was an SPG benefit and get a MR staff member, they don't know and vice versa. Sometimes it helps to ask which side of the house they came from and use HUCA to try and get someone that knows about what you are calling about. Very sad state of affairs. Just seems Marriott feels all CSRs are interchangeable.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The incompetence continues.

I called about a missing award night stay credit and Welcome Gift points from a month ago.

First agent: "Protea Hotels? Never heard of them."

Second agent: "You don't earn anything for award stays, so that's why there is nothing posted."

Third agent: "You need to contact the hotel for a folio first."

Useless customer service, and whichever idiot(s) at Marriott thought all agents could handle all calls should be fired immediately. This is no way to run a business.

I emailed a contact at Marriott OCA with the dates/times/names of the agents, but as usual with Marriott nothing will improve.
RenHoek likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:46 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
A positive note for a change.

I called the Marriott Platinum line 4 times over the holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s. It is the first time I have called there in awhile since I usually contact my Ambassador (I didn’t want to bother her over the holidays)

Two of my calls were to review account activity (It is almost 4 months since I have been able to view mine online or in the apps One call was to transfer my husband’s points to my account. One call was to ask if they could put in a request for an upgrade on a stay I had booked.

All 4 calls were answered promptly by a friendly, helpful agent who immediately helped me with my request.

It felt like old times!

I don’t know if call volume was down because of the Holidays or if they route calls from Ambassador guests, but I was impressed with the service I was provided.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kizlo
SPG customer service went from being one of the best in the business (imo) to complete garbage after the merger. Is it just me? I've seen others post issues in various threads, but i'm not sure how widespread it is.

<snip>

I hope SPG / Marriott reps are taking all of our feedback into consideration. It's such a shame how SPG went from exceptional customer service to now being horrendous.

What good is this thread, anyway?
I don't see a Marriott/SPG lurker coming in to help.
They just want to suck, and we should just suck it.
I have the same stunningly bad customer service experience. Do I have time to wait 40 minutes on the phone? Or submit a simple web request that takes 3 weeks to answer and tells me to call?
Whoever is in charge of customer service must have nude photos of someone, because they should have been fired yesterday.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:57 am

SPG program customer service is getting worse after Marriott merger.

Is it just me? Or does anyone feel as if the SPG reward program's customer service has gone downhill since Marriott merger?

I mean, the IT problem is getting worse, and now the agents over the phone don't seem as competent or knowledgeable as before when the reward program was still under SPG mandate. I called SPG platinum line a few times, but the agent on the other side of the phone usually sound as if either they're sleepy or they just want to rush my inquiry to get it over with asap.

Overall, the merger feels like SPG went from Whole Foods to Walmart.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Overall, the merger feels like SPG went from Whole Foods to Walmart.
This quote made my day. Thank you.

There were always a few clueless ones at SPG pre-takeover, but now its seems 90 percent of the agents were new hires from a cell phone company call centre overseas.

Last edited by PointWeasel; Jan 5, 2019 at 10:50 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There is no more "SPG Customer Service" now. It's "Marriott Customer Service". And it shows.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There is no more "SPG Customer Service" now. It's "Marriott Customer Service". And it shows.
Marriott customer service for Platinum and above used to be really good. Not quite as good as the SPG Plat line, but still really good. Response time for website messages was generally 24-48 hours or less, and phone calls were typically answered immediately. And the agents were empowered to actually fix things. When they would call a property on your behalf, issues got addressed quickly.

Sometime before the merger, Marriott stopped directing Plat/PP guests to their best phone agents, call hold times went way up, and it has gone downhill from there. An airline analogy would be a Delta Diamond Medallion calling Delta's "Diamond Desk" during severe IRROPS and being offered the same 2-hour hold/callback that the no-status person sitting next to them is typically offered, when they are conditioned to expect a max of 1-2 minutes of hold time at all times.

One recent data point: I submitted a note to customer service more than 3 weeks ago, and still haven't received a response. A Lifetime PP/active PP shouldn't have to wait 3 weeks for a response. I'd argue that even an entry-level Marriott Rewards member should get a response in that timeframe.
PointWeasel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Marriott ruins everything.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:32 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
It is clear marriot is trying to save money because they did not get a good deal on the merger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.