Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Maybe someone can help me? I am a bit confused on how to count Platinum years by 31st Dec 2018 and this is killing me :-)
- SPG Dashboard tells me I have 6 years of Platinum and 822 nights
- Marriott tells me I have 698 nights and 1.62 Million points
I qualified for Platinum with Marriott for the first time on November 2015, and I have kept it ever since. I just renewed Platinum this year towards 2019.

My question is how may Platinum years will I have recognized with Marriott by 31st December?
Is it 3 (natural years from Nov 2015 to Nov 2018), 4 (if I count either 2015 or 2019) or 5 (if I count both 2015 and 2019?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by josep
My question is how may Platinum years will I have recognized with Marriott by 31st December?
Is it 3 (natural years from Nov 2015 to Nov 2018), 4 (if I count either 2015 or 2019) or 5 (if I count both 2015 and 2019?
When you qualified in 2015 it was for the 2016 year, While you were able to enjoy Plat benefits immediately, it was because you were a 2016 Plat. You have four years at MR Plat.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
When you qualified in 2015 it was for the 2016 year, While you were able to enjoy Plat benefits immediately, it was because you were a 2016 Plat. You have four years at MR Plat.
Awesome! Then I should get LTPP, 4 years Plat with Marriott plus 6 years with SPG! Now I am happy. :-)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It seems to me that first qualifying for Plat in Nov 2015, MUST be for the 2016 year.... then qualified for the 2017 year & the 2018 year... And now the poster has JUST met the requirements again for the 2019 year. So, I agree. It appears to be a total of 4 years of Marr Plat.

Last edited by Travelosopher; Jun 3, 2018 at 11:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Response to post #586 by josep

Does your SPG dashboard say years of elite or year of Plat? For some people, it's been years elite until LTG is earned, then it switches to years Plat. However, in my case, I'm LTP but my dashboard says years elite when I look at lifetime nights.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelosopher

It seems to me that first qualifying for Plat in Nov 2015, MUST be for the 2016 year.... then qualified for the 2017 year & the 2018 year... And now the poster has JUST met the requirements again for the 2019 year. So, I agree. It appears to be a total of 4 years of Marr Plat.
in SPG, platinum years are counted for the calendar year of qualification — the year when status was earned — and not for the period when the status is to be enjoyed.

there aren’t any 2019 SPG plats and there will never be.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
Sad but true.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

in SPG, platinum years are counted for the calendar year of qualification — the year when status was earned — and not for the period when the status is to be enjoyed.

I believe the poster was asking about how many years of platinum s/he would have thus far in the Marriott Rewards program, since first meeting the qualifications in November 2015, having met them in each year since consecutively, & having just qualified again in 2018 for 2019. So I believe that would be 4 years total MR Platinum, right?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:04 pm
Suspended

I believe the poster was asking about how many years of platinum s/he would have thus far in the Marriott Rewards program, since first meeting the qualifications in November 2015, having met them in each year since consecutively, & having just qualified again in 2018 for 2019. So I believe that would be 4 years total MR Platinum, right?
Yeah, I missed that on the thread. I don’t know the Marriott rules; if it were SPG it would be four platinum years—2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MR has never counted years at a status level, just years as a MR member (until dropping the requirement about ten years ago). Still, if one had to guess, it would be the same as SPG, namely counting the year at the time it's earned as this would fit with the way that MR extends benefits of the new tier as soon as it's been earned (with points posted and status updated) rather than forcing the elite to wait for the start of the new program year.

However, PP seems to be an exception to this, with PP status being evaluated around the start of the new calendar year and invitations being done around February. AFAIK it's very rare for someone to be invited into PP at any other time since the 2-3% rule is done in a batch. Still anyone getting PP must already be Plat (in fact for at least several years) and there's no need to count years as PP separately from Plat years.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
Does anybody know the actual tangible benefits of Lifetime Platinum Premier status -- over and above Lifetime Platinum status? The only thing I have seen so far is a slight premium in earnings for stays. Is there any other advantage, such as upgrade priority, additional amenities, etc.? Maybe better treatment at Ritz Carltons? Thanks.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
25% more points
48 hour guaranteed space
Upgrade priority still not confirmed

It's better than a sharp stick in the eye at R-Cs (but still no breakfast for you!)
The extra 25% earnings on points the big one IMO, some years I only hit 50-74 nights and to be able to earn the extra bonus points regardless of the number of nights was the reason I wanted to make sure I made LTPP vs LTP. The guaranteed booking (at RACK) is something I've used all of once; when one needs to leverage that its generally because _everything_ is sold out nearby given that is at rack rate its going to be spendy so not super useful IME - when you need it and can justify the $ its a nice to have, just not something I have or foresee using frequently. If PP ends up getting upgrade priority over regular Plat that would also be nice (and since I will have that, Marriott please do give PP higher priority ) but I give that a second place to extra points on all stays forever.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by ryan182
The extra 25% earnings on points the big one IMO, some years I only hit 50-74 nights and to be able to earn the extra bonus points regardless of the number of nights was the reason I wanted to make sure I made LTPP vs LTP. The guaranteed booking (at RACK) is something I've used all of once; when one needs to leverage that its generally because _everything_ is sold out nearby given that is at rack rate its going to be spendy so not super useful IME - when you need it and can justify the $ its a nice to have, just not something I have or foresee using frequently. If PP ends up getting upgrade priority over regular Plat that would also be nice (and since I will have that, Marriott please do give PP higher priority ) but I give that a second place to extra points on all stays forever.
Agree that the extra points earned are useful, but I hope there is more than that. Higher upgrade priority or maybe an enhanced breakfast amenity would be nice.

Also, on another topic, any idea if multiple rooms on a single stay will qualify for multiple nights toward elite status in the new program -- as they currently do in SPG but not in MR?

Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Also, on another topic, any idea if multiple rooms on a single stay will qualify for multiple nights toward elite status in the new program -- as they currently do in SPG but not in MR?

Thanks.
No, you will only get nights credit for one room. From the Wiki in the Official Announcement thread:
Will night credit still be earned for booking up to 3 rooms?
Members will earn points for up to 3 rooms and will earn Elite Night credit for their personal room. <added by Starwood Lurker 23Apr18>
This is the present MR rule. Note that historically some Marriott family hotels do give credit for additional rooms but there is no rule requiring this or way to know ahead of time if you will get credit for additional rooms. IME, it is more likely at the lower end hotels (CY, SHS, FI, etc) and it is more likely if the rooms are booked and paid separately than if the rooms are booked together. (ie I have a reservation for me and for a salesperson, the salesperson pays with his own cc and gets a distinct folio so he can put it on his own expense report.)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:21 am

Agree that the extra points earned are useful, but I hope there is more than that. Higher upgrade priority or maybe an enhanced breakfast amenity would be nice.

Thanks.
The answer to your question is in the wiki in the other thread - A2 states that you’ll earn points for up to 3 rooms per night in the new program, but elite credit for only the 1 room occupied by the elite member. And it has also been stated that the ability to earn multiple elite credits for multiple rooms per night in the SPG program will end August 1st.

Last edited by Travelosopher; Jun 9, 2018 at 12:24 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:42 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

The answer to your question is in the wiki in the other thread - A2 states that you’ll earn points for up to 3 rooms per night in the new program, but elite credit for only the 1 room occupied by the elite member. And it has also been stated that the ability to earn multiple elite credits for multiple rooms per night in the SPG program will end August 1st.
It’s funny. Although I knew of the 3 rooms/night option I never had cause to use it until last week. As we begin to travel more with our grown kids and our grandchildren this is something we would have begun to use. I can’t quite figure out how Marriott would lose by continuing this. It seems like a BIB night would be more valuable than 3K on a CC. (But of course I don’t have their data)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.