Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
With all the fuss over qualifying for LTPP -- which I have done -- I hope there is some systemic recognition under the new combined program -- and I hope it results in at least some tangible benefit such as upgrade priority.
Have you noticed that in the promotional materials, like on the members.Marriott site, under LT Silver, Gold and Plat it states the LT member gets "All (Silver/Gold/Plat) Elite Benefits" but there is no similar claim made for PP? There is ample verbiage stating a qualified person will get LTPP status but no promise that LTPP gets PP benefits, which is expressly given for the other levels. There is an internet rumor assumption that will be the case, but as far as I have seen no promise has been given by Marriott. If there is no tangible benefit given for LTPP over LTP, don't blame Marriott; they made no promise there would be.

I have always believed LTPP was a bone thrown to us legacy Marriott LTPs so we would not be in the same status level as the legacy MR LTGs when the programs combine. The level was so unimportant to Marriott they did not even include similarly situated SPG members and seemed to be caught off guard when anyone actually cared about what they apparently thought was a title-only status. LTP will be the highest attainable level and it would be ridiculous for Marriott to encourage present members to work towards that, which is really the purpose of having the LT status, while at the same time giving even better benefits to an unattainable level. I fully expect we LTPPs will get nothing more than bragging rights, and honestly, who is going to be bragging about a hotel loyalty program status?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Have you noticed that in the promotional materials, like on the members.Marriott site, under LT Silver, Gold and Plat it states the LT member gets "All (Silver/Gold/Plat) Elite Benefits" but there is no similar claim made for PP? There is ample verbiage stating a qualified person will get LTPP status but no promise that LTPP gets PP benefits, which is expressly given for the other levels. There is an internet rumor assumption that will be the case, but as far as I have seen no promise has been given by Marriott. If there is no tangible benefit given for LTPP over LTP, don't blame Marriott; they made no promise there would be.

I have always believed LTPP was a bone thrown to us legacy Marriott LTPs so we would not be in the same status level as the legacy MR LTGs when the programs combine. The level was so unimportant to Marriott they did not even include similarly situated SPG members and seemed to be caught off guard when anyone actually cared about what they apparently thought was a title-only status. LTP will be the highest attainable level and it would be ridiculous for Marriott to encourage present members to work towards that, which is really the purpose of having the LT status, while at the same time giving even better benefits to an unattainable level. I fully expect we LTPPs will get nothing more than bragging rights, and honestly, who is going to be bragging about a hotel loyalty program status?
People on FT. (I thought about adding a wry emoji after bolding the above, but I think the flat statement works, too.) I tend to agree.

The fact that LTPP status no longer can be earned does strongly imply that it's a gold star, a participation certificate, a "best effort" trophy for long-time elites. I have no issue with that, personally. And I don't plan to go through all the hand-wringing and mental gymnastics so many here on FlyerTalk seem intent on performing. As long as I get the LTP benefits, no matter whether I'm LTPP or LTP.

That's the bottom line for a frequent traveler. And it's always smart to remember that "lifetime" anything is never just the lifetime of the customer. It's also the lifetime of the company or the program, and in this case, Marriott can change the rules and benefits at any time. What seems true and inviolate today may change again in one, two, or several years.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:20 am

I think that you hunch is probably "correct-ish", in my experience when I travel with my wife who is a Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum and has been on/off Platinum Premier since the inception of the status, she has not received any better treatment as a Platinum Premier than she ever has as a Platinum.

About the only difference that she has noticed is that the years that she has been Platinum Premier, she has received some sort of gift from Marriott ranging form a coffee table book to a vase, but other than that, she has not really noticed any tangible difference.

As a lay person and somebody who finds business a mystery in general, I do not even see the need to state that Lifetime Platinum Premiers will receive all benefits of Platinum Premier as it is an EOL (if you will) status and once the qualification windows closes, nobody will be eligable for the status even again, so why state the obvious?

More likely, if Marriott were to add a benefit to Platinum Premier in 2020 (for example) it might not carry over to the Lifetime Status, but I do not see them for example saying Platinum Premier is eligible for the 48 hour guarantee (which my wife uses frequently), but not Lifetime Platinum Premiers.

Marriott IT is not the best to begin with and I am not so sure that they would be able to segment their elite population that well.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

Fearmongering...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
I noticed is that the years that she has been Platinum Premier, she has received some sort of gift from Marriott ranging form a coffee table book to a vase, but other than that, she has not really noticed any tangible difference.
I got a wireless speaker, a lipstick size charger and luggage tags. One year they ran out of whatever the gift was supposed to be and I was one of many who got nothing.

OT: I was changing planes in China and had four chargers with me, including the one Marriott gave as a gift. Apparently you are only permitted to bring two into the country, even if you are not leaving the airport, so the PP one was one of the two that I gave up. A complete stranger behind me at security asked if she could have them since I had to give them up. I said okay. We were questioned and she got detained for a bit. I saw her in lounge about an hour later, so they didn't keep her, but she indicated it was not a happy experience.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Well I guess us legacy Starwood folks should have low expectations then with the new Marriott loyalty program...I mean new Marriott rewards program
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
Well I guess us legacy Starwood folks should have low expectations then with the new Marriott loyalty program...I mean new Marriott rewards program
I would, after my wife had her Marriott Platinum Status matched to SPG Platinum our upgrade percentage improved significantly and I found that hotels did a far better job of recognizing her Platinum status than Marriott ever has.
margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by kmersh
I would, after my wife had her Marriott Platinum Status matched to SPG Platinum our upgrade percentage improved significantly and I found that hotels did a far better job of recognizing her Platinum status than Marriott ever has.
Luckily many of us SPG loyalists found this out years ago! I left MR for SPG 12 years ago and never looked back. Now I guess I have to live with the new program and HOPE that MR does a better job than they did....but sadly most of us from the SPG side just aren't ready to hold our breath. Luckily I will be LTPP so I'm likely going to do a lot of free agenting and booking the hotels that serve me best, offer the best price and have the best location vs automatically booking with MR/SPG in the future.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

Are you actually claiming that lifetime status might have no status benefits? This would be so patently absurd I have to check if that's what you mean.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JackE
Are you actually claiming that lifetime status might have no status benefits? This would be so patently absurd I have to check if that's what you mean.
yeah it's a bit tin foil hat-esque to think that LTPP won't get the full PP benefits (aside from the SNAs which are understandable)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
I am stating that Marriott has not promised that LTPP will get all the benefits of PP like they have promised that the other LT levels, S, G and P, will get all the benefits of the non-LT level. The omission is glaring, as though Marriott has gone out of its way to not make that promise with LTPP. We have already seen how SNAs have been excluded by claiming those aren't a benefit of PP but rather for reaching a certain number or nights, which is kinda the same thing. In not including such a promise Marriott has given themselves leeway to exclude LTPP from PP benefits. Of course they could do that for any level, but again, it is glaring that Marriott has gone out of its way to not use the language they have used on all the other levels.

While you might think this is "absurd" can you show anywhere that Marriott has made that promise for LTPP? It is easy to find for the other levels. It is on the members.marriott site. But I have looked and not found such a promise for LTPP.

And no, I do not think there will be no status benefits, but I absolutely believe that Marriott is under no obligation to extend future additional PP benefits to LTPP like they have promised for the other levels. Several people have made the claim that LTPP will get all future benefit increases of PP but the language Marriott uses indicates that is not promised.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I am stating that Marriott has not promised that LTPP will get all the benefits of PP like they have promised that the other LT levels, S, G and P, will get all the benefits of the non-LT level. The omission is glaring, as though Marriott has gone out of its way to not make that promise with LTPP. We have already seen how SNAs have been excluded by claiming those aren't a benefit of PP but rather for reaching a certain number or nights, which is kinda the same thing. In not including such a promise Marriott has given themselves leeway to exclude LTPP from PP benefits. Of course they could do that for any level, but again, it is glaring that Marriott has gone out of its way to not use the language they have used on all the other levels.

While you might think this is "absurd" can you show anywhere that Marriott has made that promise for LTPP? It is easy to find for the other levels. It is on the members.marriott site. But I have looked and not found such a promise for LTPP.
My guess is that MR deliberately left out the promise that LTPP would get all of the benefits of PP specifically to allow the SNA exemption for LTPPs. IOW, they're simply trying to avoid creating conflicting language. Of course, this potentially allows them to create additional exceptions in the future, but IMO it doesn't indicate that they have any intention of doing so.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

And no, I do not think there will be no status benefits, but I absolutely believe that Marriott is under no obligation to extend future additional PP benefits to LTPP like they have promised for the other levels. Several people have made the claim that LTPP will get all future benefit increases of PP but the language Marriott uses indicates that is not promised.
Well SPG LTP dont get SNAs either but surely they are of better status and benefits than SPG LTG. But you wouldn't understand though since your coming from Marriott side and never got to experience SPG's loyalty program.

Anyways, in a few weeks it wouldn't matter....Best you keep reminding us on every single thread here on SPG side that Marriott loyalty program simply is not worth working hard to achieve
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We have already seen how SNAs have been excluded by claiming those aren't a benefit of PP but rather for reaching a certain number or nights, which is kinda the same thing.
"kinda the same thing" is not the same as "the same thing"

Regardless of how many times we revisit this topic, it doesn't change the fact that they have explicitly said that the SNAs are earned upon reaching a certain number of nights and not upon reaching a certain status. This is no different than the TSUs as Hyatt which are granted upon reaching 60 nights, not upon reaching Globalist status. Marriott didn't invent this wheel.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Anyways, in a few weeks it wouldn't matter....Best you keep reminding us on every single thread here on SPG side that Marriott loyalty program simply is not worth working hard to achieve
That is absolutely not my point nor belief. My point is there is no evidence LTPP is going to have any significant benefits superior to LTP in the new program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.