Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
I hope its more than a crumb. Usually there is a correlation between making the most loyal members feel appreciated -- and incentivizing them to keep using the brand in volume.
Which is the point. Marriott has made it clear that going forward that group, their more current most loyal members, will be LTP. Keeping them happy will mean not giving significant additional benefits to the closed level that the present most loyal members cannot achieve. Those that are LTPP but are still active in their stays will likely have present status but those without status will still get lounge access and a few additional perks. Making LTPP significantly better than LTP would do the opposite of what you say should be the correlation. It would make no sense.

Marriott is more interested in the people presently spending money towards LTP than those already having the status. Giving additional perks to a closed level would make those people feel there are benefits they can never get; Treating LTP basically the same as LTPP sends the message that LTP is just as worthwhile and would be the message Marriott would seem likely to go with.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:43 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Which is the point. Marriott has made it clear that going forward that group, their more current most loyal members, will be LTP. Keeping them happy will mean not giving significant additional benefits to the closed level that the present most loyal members cannot achieve. Those that are LTPP but are still active in their stays will likely have present status but those without status will still get lounge access and a few additional perks. Making LTPP significantly better than LTP would do the opposite of what you say should be the correlation. It would make no sense.

Marriott is more interested in the people presently spending money towards LTP than those already having the status. Giving additional perks to a closed level would make those people feel there are benefits they can never get; Treating LTP basically the same as LTPP sends the message that LTP is just as worthwhile and would be the message Marriott would seem likely to go with.
I agree. I shake my head at all the people spending thousands of dollars to reach a tier that provides little more than LTP on the off chance that someday, Marriott might enhance it!
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I agree. I shake my head at all the people spending thousands of dollars to reach a tier that provides little more than LTP on the off chance that someday, Marriott might enhance it!
Unless I missed something, there are only three significant difference between LTP and LTPP: 2.5 points/$, United Silver and the possibility of better upgrades. If someone isn't staying enough to earn annual PP, I don't know how valuable the additional earnings are. I actually get some value out of United Silver, but many of the people chasing LTPP already have a higher status level at one or more airlines. If LTPP gets better upgrades, then chasing that status level might make sense.

I appreciate the additional opportunity to (hopefully) earn LTPP with combined nights and 2+ MM MR points. If I misinterpreted the answers I received from MR and the Lurker and I end up with LTP instead of LTPP, I will be disappointed but it won't have a significant affect on my loyalty and it certainly won't affect my self-image.

I appreciate that you prodded William for an answer to my question about combined nights and uncombined points. It was a nice gesture from someone who was unaffected by the policy.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Or it could go in the other direction too...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Or it could go in the other direction too...
In order for it to go the other way Marriott would have to be willing to offend those currently working towards LTP who can never get LTPP. That is not going to happen.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
In order for it to go the other way Marriott would have to be willing to offend those currently working towards LTP who can never get LTPP. That is not going to happen.
No, it could go the other way (from LTPP being enhanced) in that benefits could be taken away from Plat (and thus LTP)...that definitely could happen.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Or MPG can actually make LTP and LTPP desirable tiers and open LTPP up for admissions. Likely? Maybe not.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No, it could go the other way (from LTPP being enhanced) in that benefits could be taken away from Plat (and thus LTP)...that definitely could happen.
In the promotional materials, such as on members.Marriott.com, Marriott specifically lists LT Silver/Gold/Plat receive "All Silver/Gold/Plat" Elite Benefits: but makes not such claim for LTPP. Marriott can raise the PP benefits, not allow them for LT and not go back on any promise.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by rny321
Unless I missed something, there are only three significant difference between LTP and LTPP: 2.5 points/$, United Silver and the possibility of better upgrades. If someone isn't staying enough to earn annual PP, I don't know how valuable the additional earnings are. I actually get some value out of United Silver, but many of the people chasing LTPP already have a higher status level at one or more airlines. If LTPP gets better upgrades, then chasing that status level might make sense.

I appreciate the additional opportunity to (hopefully) earn LTPP with combined nights and 2+ MM MR points. If I misinterpreted the answers I received from MR and the Lurker and I end up with LTP instead of LTPP, I will be disappointed but it won't have a significant affect on my loyalty and it certainly won't affect my self-image.

I appreciate that you prodded William for an answer to my question about combined nights and uncombined points. It was a nice gesture from someone who was unaffected by the policy.
The extra point earnings are a marginal benefit but any upgrade priority would actually be a significant benefit. I asked a front office manager at a Sheraton recently and he seemed to think it was a possibility although not clear yet. He said that it was something that individual hotel managers/room controllers may very well look at in allocating upgrades. He did not know if it would be taken into account in the automated suite night award system.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
The extra point earnings are a marginal benefit but any upgrade priority would actually be a significant benefit. I asked a front office manager at a Sheraton recently and he seemed to think it was a possibility although not clear yet. He said that it was something that individual hotel managers/room controllers may very well look at in allocating upgrades. He did not know if it would be taken into account in the automated suite night award system.
After 11 yrs as SPG Plat, I think length of stay, time of arrival, history with hotel and who you know, has far more impact than level of Plat status. I was P100 for the last 4 yrs. SNAs also factor in even though not always in a positive way. I stayed at Sheraton Macao with a Plat friend. I used an SNA which cleared and got me a nice suite (the one promised by the SNA). Then I went to see my friend's room who didn't use an SNA, and his suite was twice as big as mine. We checked in at the same time.

I suspect there will be some very disappointed LTPP!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the promotional materials, such as on members.Marriott.com, Marriott specifically lists LT Silver/Gold/Plat receive "All Silver/Gold/Plat" Elite Benefits: but makes not such claim for LTPP. Marriott can raise the PP benefits, not allow them for LT and not go back on any promise.
LTPP is also a one-time, never repeated level, so much like with many things Marriott has forgotten, not spelled out clearly, not addressed yet, etc. Occam's Razor would suggest it's just an oversight.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
After 11 yrs as SPG Plat, I think length of stay, time of arrival, history with hotel and who you know, has far more impact than level of Plat status. I was P100 for the last 4 yrs. SNAs also factor in even though not always in a positive way. I stayed at Sheraton Macao with a Plat friend. I used an SNA which cleared and got me a nice suite (the one promised by the SNA). Then I went to see my friend's room who didn't use an SNA, and his suite was twice as big as mine. We checked in at the same time.

I think your experience is very typical. Sometimes the suite nights actually work against you and you do much better with just a discretionary upgrade -- which of course, is luck of the draw.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I agree with your first paragraph but not your last sentence. While upgrades may or may not be more forthcoming as LTPP, the level does provide a 25% bump up in points earned and a 48 hr booking benefit. So already, I'm happy to be in this new level. I have found over my years of Ambassador that upgrades were definitely more forthcoming than the years I was P75. Of course, to your point, this was not an "always" sort of thing and was also dependent on the factors your identified. Still, I see no way LTPP hurts our upgrade chances - although it may not assist as much as I believe.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I agree with your first paragraph but not your last sentence. While upgrades may or may not be more forthcoming as LTPP, the level does provide a 25% bump up in points earned and a 48 hr booking benefit. So already, I'm happy to be in this new level. I have found over my years of Ambassador that upgrades were definitely more forthcoming than the years I was P75. Of course, to your point, this was not an "always" sort of thing and was also dependent on the factors your identified. Still, I see no way LTPP hurts our upgrade chances - although it may not assist as much as I believe.
Except it’s not a 25% bonus. A PE member will earn 150% points, whereas a PPE will earn 175% points. So that’s less than 17% bonus. If you aren’t staying enough to earn PPE, then that won’t amount to many points. The 48 hr booking benefit is only valuable for people staying on OPM as I’m not sure many are interested in paying rack rate. I’ll concede that UA Silver might be useful for someone without UA status but that’s an awfully low tier. My point is that the difference between the 2 tiers is so small that I can’t see the justification for paying thousands of dollars to achieve it.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Except it’s not a 25% bonus. A PE member will earn 150% points, whereas a PPE will earn 175% points. So that’s less than 17% bonus. If you aren’t staying enough to earn PPE, then that won’t amount to many points. The 48 hr booking benefit is only valuable for people staying on OPM as I’m not sure many are interested in paying rack rate. I’ll concede that UA Silver might be useful for someone without UA status but that’s an awfully low tier. My point is that the difference between the 2 tiers is so small that I can’t see the justification for paying thousands of dollars to achieve it.

IMO the cases where it might make sense to spend money to get LTPP this year would be those who were close to the MR requirements for legacy MR LTP (nights and points) but not at all close to ten Plat years, so that failing to get legacy MR status now would mean no hope of getting LTP (or LTPP either of course) for at least several years. This assumes, of course, that the person won't earn enough annual nights in some of those intervening years to just get their annual Plat or PP status in the new program so that the lifetime status is higher than what they would otherwise get. Hence, this applies either to someone with uncertain or highly variable travel patterns or someone who anticipates that their travel will drop during the next several years. It would be a small group of elites. (Note that when I write travel patterns here, I'm referring to nights spent in Starriott hotels and not travel more generally such as in the sense of flying.)
CJKatl and rny321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.