Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by damon88

It’s funny. Although I knew of the 3 rooms/night option I never had cause to use it until last week. As we begin to travel more with our grown kids and our grandchildren this is something we would have begun to use. I can’t quite figure out how Marriott would lose by continuing this. It seems like a BIB night would be more valuable than 3K on a CC. (But of course I don’t have their data)
With the age of our kids, we are often having to reserve two rooms now as well. Is everyone certain that the program going forward will adopt the MR approach of credit for one room only -- or is it possible that a decision on qualifying credit for multiple rooms will still be forthcoming?

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
With the age of our kids, we are often having to reserve two rooms now as well. Is everyone certain that the program going forward will adopt the MR approach of credit for one room only -- or is it possible that a decision on qualifying credit for multiple rooms will still be forthcoming?

Thanks.
This appears to be a settled matter. They are going with the longstanding Marriott rule on this. From the Wiki:
Will night credit still be earned for booking up to 3 rooms?
Members will earn points for up to 3 rooms and will earn Elite Night credit for their personal room. <added by Starwood Lurker 23Apr18>
A posted Lurker answer indicates the company vetted every word of the answer, so this is not just someone's opinion.

Note that while there is no rule requiring giving credit for three nights, some Marriott hotels do and there's no reason to think that practice will not continue under the new rules even at some SPG properties. The lower end properties are more likely to give credit and if you reserve and pay for the rooms separately you are more likely to get credit. YMMV. If you do not get credit you have no recourse to ask for it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
at least you get the whole revenue for the 3 rooms. makes it easier to reach 20K usd for the ambassador
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This appears to be a settled matter. They are going with the longstanding Marriott rule on this. From the Wiki:

A posted Lurker answer indicates the company vetted every word of the answer, so this is not just someone's opinion.

Note that while there is no rule requiring giving credit for three nights, some Marriott hotels do and there's no reason to think that practice will not continue under the new rules even at some SPG properties. The lower end properties are more likely to give credit and if you reserve and pay for the rooms separately you are more likely to get credit. YMMV. If you do not get credit you have no recourse to ask for it.
Thank you. Any way of knowing this in advance or does it look like just one-off situations that we will know of only after our stays are credited? Thanks again.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
Thank you. Any way of knowing this in advance or does it look like just one-off situations that we will know of only after our stays are credited? Thanks again.
No way to know, and you cannot ask the hotel if they are willing to break the rule without likely ensuring they will make sure not to give you credit for the second room. I am at double the nights needed for LTP so whether I get the credit or not is irrelevant, so I have never pushed the issue. I know even at a certain hotel I once did get the credit and once did not, so there really is no way to tell. (Va Beach SHS) What I have observed is it is more likely to happen at FI, RI, SHS and CY and less likely at a JW or Ren or even FS. It happens when you have two distinct reservation under your MR# and pay with different ccs. But not always.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Medved
For LTP purposes, an annual number of nights doesn't matter as long as qualified for SPG Plat in 2018 (25 stays or 50 night minimum, of course). If you wish to get one time LTP Premier, you must get MR Plat this year (75 nights) to get your 10th combined Plat year by Dec 31st. If you can't, after you qualify for Plat in 2019 with your 10th year as Plat, you will get your regular LTP. Will be no LTP Premier status awarded after Dec 31, 2018.
HOORAY a clear answer! I've been going back and forth with SPG via email for two weeks now.

Thank you! I might just be able to do the 75 nights with MR.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
HOORAY a clear answer! I've been going back and forth with SPG via email for two weeks now.

Thank you! I might just be able to do the 75 nights with MR.
You only need to stay 50 nights with Marriott and reach Gold. Legacy Gold years will count towards the ten years needed for LTPP qualification. This is clear in members.Marriott and has been confirmed by the Lurker in the wiki.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You only need to stay 50 nights with Marriott and reach Gold. Legacy Gold years will count towards the ten years needed for LTPP qualification. This is clear in members.Marriott and has been confirmed by the Lurker in the wiki.
Exactly.

One just needs to do the 50-night equivalent.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:29 am

So I finally made night #500 on SPG this Month.

How long does it take to kick-in as SPG LTP?

I also have 328 nights currently with MR. Does this mean I will be grandfathered in MR LTPP in August?

Last edited by LukeSky; Jun 16, 2018 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:17 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LukeSky
So I finally made night #500 on SPG this Month.

How long does it take to kick-in as SPG LTP?

I also have 328 nights currently with MR. Does this mean I will be grandfathered in MR LTPP in August?

CONGRATS ! To my best understanding you have earned LTPP with your combined nights and we *think* since you have met the requirements prior to August that you will be notified when you combine programs then.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
600 Combined Nights in Both Programs

Last week I reached 600 Combined Nights ( 481 SPG +119 Marriott) . In September, I will reach 50 SPG Nights in 2018 . In October, I will reach 500 SPG nights that would have qualified me for LTP. Yes, I have 10 years.
The way that I see it, is that I will be LTP when the two programs combine in August., and reaching Life Time 500 SPG Nights in October has no value?
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by 360guy
Last week I reached 600 Combined Nights ( 481 SPG +119 Marriott) . In September, I will reach 50 SPG Nights in 2018 . In October, I will reach 500 SPG nights that would have qualified me for LTP. Yes, I have 10 years.
The way that I see it, is that I will be LTP when the two programs combine in August., and reaching Life Time 500 SPG Nights in October has no value?
Thanks
This appears to be correct. The combo of points should make you LTP prior to your reaching SPG Gold so you will already be there. The announcements about notifying i Jan about status based on combos appears to only impact LTPP. In other words, any combo status like yours that was part of the April announcement does not require waiting until Jan but some things that were added later will require waiting for a Jan sweep and subsequent notification.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:08 am

Am I missing something or is this just for existing ltp?

If it is then this is incredibly short sighted. If the tier exists then why exclude current starriot members who could eventually earn this?

The way way I read this is that starriott doesn’t care as much about the current members working on this as they do for the ones who already did the stays.

Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
The way way I read this is that starriott doesn’t care as much about the current members working on this as they do for the ones who already did the stays.
But I think you are reading this backwards. Marriott should not really care about the level LTPP. IMO it is an in-name only tier that allowed the company to avoid busting MR LTP down to the same level as MR LTG. By not continuing to enroll new members Marriott makes it clear they are not really interested in the level. Obviously they are interested in keeping those working toward LT status happy and interested so it seem LTP will be treated as the ultimate top LT level and LTPP will wind up pretty much getting the same benefits, which right now only include a 25% higher points balance and the 48 hour guarantee. The idea that Marriott would have any interest in rubbing some extra benefits for LTPP into the faces of those who are likely doing more business but can never attain LTPP seems counterproductive and unlikely.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
So, I am confused a bit, hoping someone can clarify:

I have 600+ nights SPG, 7 Years Plat, over 650,000 points currently in my account. I also have 100k points and over 100 nights in Marriott though I have never been elite other than silver with them. I am close to 750 nights combined if not over.

What will i get, if anything, under the combined program August 1st?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.