Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 12:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
I am convinced upgrade lists take into account lifetime nights.....It's part of the secret formula....shhhhhhh
Haha. I have been saying this for years. SPG has to have a formula for prioritizing their upgrade list (and assigning SNAs). I am convinced that Lifetime nights along with Lifetime points, Years Elite, Eligible spend etc. etc. are all part of the algorithm. It’s just common sense.

The hotels aren’t required to follow SPG’s “suggestions” and will override for frequent guests, but high numbers certainly don’t hurt.

I have had many FDCs make comments about my point balance, so I know that is something they easily see on their screens.

Of course all of OMMV come August 😉
Old May 29, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nobody knows yet...
Any idea of how Marriott currently handles these situations -- if they give any priority to current platinum premier members over platinum members?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
Haha. I have been saying this for years. SPG has to have a formula for prioritizing their upgrade list (and assigning SNAs). I am convinced that Lifetime nights along with Lifetime points, Years Elite, Eligible spend etc. etc. are all part of the algorithm. It’s just common sense.

The hotels aren’t required to follow SPG’s “suggestions” and will override for frequent guests, but high numbers certainly don’t hurt.

I have had many FDCs make comments about my point balance, so I know that is something they easily see on their screens.

Of course all of OMMV come August 😉
That is no secret at all. It has been commented here on FT, including by the lurkers, that an upgrade list is sent (daily I believe) to every property ranking each member checking-in according to an algorithm that is proprietary and kept confidential.

It has been hinted that several factors, such as spending habits, are taken into consideration and that neither nights stayed nor platinum tier are the deciding factor.

This list is not compulsory and each property has enough leeway to prioritize plats as it sees fit.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:40 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

That is no secret at all. It has been commented here on FT, including by the lurkers, that an upgrade list is sent (daily I believe) to every property ranking each member checking-in according to an algorithm that is proprietary and kept confidential.

It has been hinted that several factors, such as spending habits, are taken into consideration and that neither nights stayed nor platinum tier are the deciding factor.

This list is not compulsory and each property has enough leeway to prioritize plats as it sees fit.

The secret isn’t the list (yes- that is common knowledge). The secret is the algorithm.

It may be apocryphal but IIRC 13 or 14 years ago the rumor was that there were over 20 factors.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Interesting read! .... i always thought that properties need to prepare this on their own.
Any link to the thread that discuss this matter?
Old May 30, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I was looking at my master statement and by the time I hit 500 nights (which was at less than 10 years Platinum), I had already had earned over 1 million Starpoints, and I really thought I avoided any higher-priced SPG rates. I had the SPG Amex but the only time I ever used it was for SPG stays. Given SPG's limited footprint (hotels in major cities tend to be more expensive) and lack of low-end properties other than Four Points, I think it would be nearly impossible without trying, to accumulate 750 nights without at least 666,667 (2 million / 3) Starpoints, so including or leaving out a points requirement for LTPP qualification seems pretty irrelevant.
X-ON and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would disagree. Depending on location and the use of corporate and other special rate plans, averaging $100 per night (not including tax and fees) going back more than ten years isn't unreasonable. If the person didn't get the Plat 75 fourth point, assuming elite status for every stay (therefore three points per eligible dollar spent), we get 225,000 points. If the person in fact made 750 one night stays, selected the welcome amenity points every time (I'm not sure when welcome amenity points were introduced), and always avoided the cheaper brands (aloft, element, 4Pts) that give 250 rather than 500 points, we would get another 375,000 points for a total of 600,000, still less than 666,667. [Alternatively, to get 500 extra points on every night, the guest could always do MAGC and always select hotels (avoiding the 250 brands) that offer MAGC on all relevant nights.] So we would have a deficit of about 100,000 points under this scenario to make up with promo points, which generally required being aware of the promo and taking action to register for it. (Before anyone jumps on me, I'm assuming no use of a SPG credit card because they're not available everywhere and some corporate policies require use of their own corporate card for business travel.)
Old May 30, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would disagree. Depending on location and the use of corporate and other special rate plans, averaging $100 per night (not including tax and fees) going back more than ten years isn't unreasonable. If the person didn't get the Plat 75 fourth point, assuming elite status for every stay (therefore three points per eligible dollar spent), we get 225,000 points. If the person in fact made 750 one night stays, selected the welcome amenity points every time (I'm not sure when welcome amenity points were introduced), and always avoided the cheaper brands (aloft, element, 4Pts) that give 250 rather than 500 points, we would get another 375,000 points for a total of 600,000, still less than 666,667. [Alternatively, to get 500 extra points on every night, the guest could always do MAGC and always select hotels (avoiding the 250 brands) that offer MAGC on all relevant nights.] So we would have a deficit of about 100,000 points under this scenario to make up with promo points, which generally required being aware of the promo and taking action to register for it. (Before anyone jumps on me, I'm assuming no use of a SPG credit card because they're not available everywhere and some corporate policies require use of their own corporate card for business travel.)
Starwood ADR is ~$175 for years now, give or take, so assuming $100 is quite the straw man argument (I use some of those corporate rates and they take $300 rates down to $200, or $200 down to $150 - not to $100). And I doubt you will find too many long-term SPG loyals who aren't taking advantage of promos.

Again, I don't think there's a single 750 night SPG LTP (or not quite yet LTP but 750+ nights) in this thread who has indicated any difficulty whatsoever clearing 667K Starpoints.
yeunganson likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by r415
I was looking at my master statement and by the time I hit 500 nights (which was at less than 10 years Platinum), I had already had earned over 1 million Starpoints, and I really thought I avoided any higher-priced SPG rates. I had the SPG Amex but the only time I ever used it was for SPG stays. Given SPG's limited footprint (hotels in major cities tend to be more expensive) and lack of low-end properties other than Four Points, I think it would be nearly impossible without trying, to accumulate 750 nights without at least 666,667 (2 million / 3) Starpoints, so including or leaving out a points requirement for LTPP qualification seems pretty irrelevant.
Fully agreed - I did the math, and on my 800-ish nights, not even including a single AmEx point, I earned ~1.4MM Starpoints (ADR of $210, so above-average but not crazy so).

Adding in my 500K Marriott plus ~350K from the AmEx, I convert to about 6MM points, in 1,000 total nights.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Again, I don't think there's a single 750 night SPG LTP (or not quite yet LTP but 750+ nights) in this thread who has indicated any difficulty whatsoever clearing 667K Starpoints.
I think it's because most of us don't keep track of our SPG points or even know where we're even ballparked at. I have no clue how much I've earned since the last 16/17 years. I guess I can check out a ballpark figure on my master statement now though.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're making a lot of unlikely assumptions to make your point, but I guess that's not too surprising. Averaging less than $100/night with SPG for 10 years would be difficult for the vast majority of SPG members. It's not impossible, but definitely shouldn't be used as an assumption. It's also silly to assume the majority of platinum members wouldn't have the credit card and would ignore all promotions. Of course, some people don't have access to the credit card or have a company policy prohibiting using non-corporate cards, but again this is likely a small minority of individuals with over 750 nights.

So I guess I can agree that there is likely someone out there with 750 nights that wouldn't meet the points requirement, but pretending that would be the typical case or any more than a small minority is just silly.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spgplat21
So I guess I can agree that there is likely someone out there with 750 nights that wouldn't meet the points requirement, but pretending that would be the typical case or any more than a small minority is just silly.
No need to pretend that person doesn't exist. If someone has a 750+ night track record of a $100 ADR, they were not w/Starwood...
Old May 30, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ok I just checked my master statement and since January 1, 2003 I am way under 666,667 Starpoints. Even if I had my 2001 and 2002 numbers, I would be under 666,667 points. All of this earning was almost entirely revenue BIB, MAGC, amenity welcome points, incidental spending and the occasional bonus point promo. No credit card programs were used, and no business meetings/conventions/wedding/events were booked.

(for those not keeping track of this or other threads, I'm a SPGLTP1725er)

(and yes, I had to apply more than just one basic spreadsheet function)

Added: I stayed at various properties worldwide... St. Regis, Luxury Collection, W, Sheraton, Westin, FP, Aloft, Le Meridien.

Not that it matters, but I don't think the 3:1 conversion rate is accurate/necessarily good.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok I just checked my master statement and since January 1, 2003 I am way under 666,667 Starpoints. Even if I had my 2001 and 2002 numbers, I would be under 666,667 points. All of this earning was almost entirely revenue BIB, MAGC, amenity welcome points, incidental spending and the occasional bonus point promo. No credit card programs were used, and no business meetings/conventions/wedding/events were booked.

(for those not keeping track of this or other threads, I'm a SPGLTP1725er)

(and yes, I had to apply more than just one basic spreadsheet function)

Added: I stayed at various properties worldwide... St. Regis, Luxury Collection, W, Sheraton, Westin, FP, Aloft, Le Meridien.

Not that it matters, but I don't think the 3:1 conversion rate is accurate/necessarily good.
How is that possible? Doesn't seem possible for someone well over 1K nights, ~100 nights/year? What does your Eligible Revenue (one of the columns) look like? Have you been buying Starpoints and doing a lot of redeeming for award rooms?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Did Starwood offer the very low government rates like Marriott always did? My government employee friends are the ones that struggle with meeting the points requirement.

When I first made LTP I only had the CC for a year or so and could not use it for most stays. I had to use my corporate Amex, My stays are usually at whichever hotel is closest to where I need to be in the morning, which could be an FI or RC or anything in between. FS, Ren amd SHS are my most common brands with an equal mix of high end and low end hotels. Rollover was pretty new so I did not have much of that but there were probably 200k in Megabonus points in there. Given those parameters, I crossed 750 nights and 2m points within a few stays of one another, which made me believe that if you hit an "average" rate for each stay you will hit the points and nights requirements at about the same time.

I really did not track my LT status much because it was so far away, but when Marriott changed the requirements I was suddenly within about three stays and 1k points of making LTP, pretty much out of nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.