Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RobertS975
FWIW, Hilton requires you to type in your AAA # or AARP number on their website to make a reservation under those discounts.
Mentioned up thread. Also mentioned what a pain it is to do so. Unlike our FF #s, most of us don't have a long AAA # memorized & Hilton doesn't store the AAA #.

Cheers.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Original posted by SkiAdcock
"Prague Marriott wanted to copy my AAA card too. We got into an argument about it. They said they needed to verify it was me/my card I pointed out that I was standing in front of them/my picture & name on my passport confirmed by identity."[/QUOTE]

Nothing to do with Marriott requirements, of course. Has to do with local management being able to verify that fdc has actually checked for the card. I've had very occasional similar battles with fdc's over copying government ID for the government rate. Of course, I never allowed them to---and always received the government rate.

Last edited by ohmark; May 31, 2016 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by drowelf
Of you could just install the AAA App itself. Which has a copy of your card too.
Thanks for the recommendation. App is very nice. Both sides of the membership card are shown, nice clear image.

There is also a separate tab which displays an enhanced barcode - think this is what you show if you request road service.

Lastly, with this discussion in mind, I went ahead and renewed my membership. The card image was immediately updated with the new expiration date. ^
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
State Rate - Requested photo ID

We were recently at JW Marriott Hill Country San Antonio, booked at state rate, at meeting. They requested ID with photograph. Husband had business card. We were told that wasn't sufficient...had to be photo ID from University. Well, we don't carry that. We showed insurance cards from University, library card from University, drivers license to show who we are (the photo part), several other documents having name of the University. Associate finally said something like "you've met the 3 pieces of document rule, so you're OK". THEN, he said where we work is not a state University and we didn't quality for the rate. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I pulled up University website, where it clearly states State University, and was able to find my husband's profile at University, complete with his photo. The check in process was about 15 minutes long - and slightly embarrassing to be questioned so much. We're platinum members, book at state rate when available, and have never been asked to produce a state issued photo ID.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wintersummer
We were recently at JW Marriott Hill Country San Antonio, booked at state rate, at meeting. They requested ID with photograph. Husband had business card. We were told that wasn't sufficient...had to be photo ID from University. Well, we don't carry that. We showed insurance cards from University, library card from University, drivers license to show who we are (the photo part), several other documents having name of the University. Associate finally said something like "you've met the 3 pieces of document rule, so you're OK". THEN, he said where we work is not a state University and we didn't quality for the rate. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I pulled up University website, where it clearly states State University, and was able to find my husband's profile at University, complete with his photo. The check in process was about 15 minutes long - and slightly embarrassing to be questioned so much. We're platinum members, book at state rate when available, and have never been asked to produce a state issued photo ID.
Wow - can't believe they made you jump through so many hoops.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:42 am

I've spent many nights at a few of the Orlando Marriott properties over the past few weeks and received a similar message.

At none of the hotels was I asked to present my AAA card, although I had it with me. At the one property, the two girls at the front desk weren't terribly interested in anything other than their own conversation, let alone doing work, especially checking AAA memberships.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Keep in mind that AARP is (was) American Association of Retired People.

It's not AAOP - American Association of Old People.

I become a member of AARP back when I was 30 just to carry their shiny, flashy card and feel, well, special. If asked, I used to tell them I had retired from my first job and now had a different job - which wasn't lying.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Today I made two bookings, and was prompted to input my membership number for one of them in order to complete the reservation.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I was indeed asked to provide proof at check-in. No problem. I'll be sure to have it available going forward.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I don't mind showing my company ID, but I'm not going to let folks copy it.

Neither me or my company is cool enough that I would worry about any kind of shenanigans with someone trying to impersonate me, but it is very sketchy to let folks copy/scan a company ID.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JackE
I can't think of any good reason to require this more than once, .
Age/Date of Birth is considered PII, with legal implications for protection, especially with the loss of Safe Harbor rules, for a global company. IMHO, that's one good reason.

fwiw, I was asked for AAA membership confirmation a couple of months ago, for, as far as I can remember, the first time ever. I do carry my card with me.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I suggest that most AARP members don't care one bit about the organization's political stances, and only join for the access to the discounts.

Sounds fair. AARP doesn't care, in return, about its members.

It wants our dues and it wants commissions for hooking us up with insurance and other products and services.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by JackE
Sounds fair. AARP doesn't care, in return, about its members. It wants our dues and it wants commissions for hooking us up with insurance and other products and services.
One of the most accurate things ever written on Flyertalk.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
One of the most accurate things ever written on Flyertalk.
Haha, agreed.

I had a reservation at the Fairfield Inn New Buffalo, MI a few weeks ago and they didn't ask for my card.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Never been asked to show AAA ID, but I do have it if needed.

Hilton makes you enter the actual ID number upon reservation if you want that rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.