Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC Hyatt asks for the AAA number too. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to store it in my profile and avoid hunting for the card every time.

I wish all hotels would ask for the AAA card at check in when someone is using an AAA rate, just as front desks should verify the age for senior rates. I suspect that lots of people (here on FT) are using rates to which they are not entitled.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:58 am

MSP- While I agree with you that there are likely many folks here on Flyertalk that take advantage of rates to which they are not entitled. AARP, for example, has no age requirement for membership. People of virtually any age are eligible for membership, of course, you actually do have to have a membership to be eligible for AARP discounted rates, be it for lodging or flights (BA).
Old May 25, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
MSP- While I agree with you that there are likely many folks here on Flyertalk that take advantage of rates to which they are not entitled. AARP, for example, has no age requirement for membership. People of virtually any age are eligible for membership, of course, you actually do have to have a membership to be eligible for AARP discounted rates, be it for lodging or flights (BA).
People under 50 joining AARP are given "Associate Membership", but AFAIK this grants you to the benefits and discounts.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
For AARP rates, you show your card, just like when using AAA rates.

I was talking about senior (NOT AARP) rates that some hotels offer to those over 60, 62, or 65. These are based solely on age and have no connection to AARP. The norm should be that the front desk agent checks the age on the photo ID that is presented.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
People under 50 joining AARP are given "Associate Membership", but AFAIK this grants you to the benefits and discounts.
Again, the senior offered by some hotels have nothing to do with AARP, although I've seen some AARP rates listed as AARP member or over age 62 for example, but these are more typically labelled as "AARP or Senior" or "Senior or AARP."
Old May 25, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My experience is similar to flyinhawaiian's.

I've rarely been asked for the card. I'm a AAA member so use the rate legitimately. Because I rarely (ie, never up until a few years ago) was asked I got out of the habit of taking the card w/ me, especially when overseas (I tend to purge my wallet of all non-essential items when traveling).

So of course the LHR Ren asked me for it. I explained that I was a member but that because I was so rarely asked for the card I left it behind. They kept the rate as a 1-time courtesy & since then if I've booked the AAA rate anywhere I bring the card w/ just in case. The only other time I've been asked for it was at the Prague Marriott (and they wanted to copy it - uh, no).

I give the Orlando World Center kudos for telling you in advance that you'll need to show the card. It would suck if you were a member & showed up w/o it & then got charged rack rate.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Again, the senior offered by some hotels have nothing to do with AARP, although I've seen some AARP rates listed as AARP member or over age 62 for example, but these are more typically labelled as "AARP or Senior" or "Senior or AARP."
I logged into the AARP Member Benefits Guide. Under 'hotels' they list a general diccountof 10% off best available rate at all Choice, Hilton, Starwood and Wyndham properties. I am sure that other brands like Marriott etc. also have agreements with regional or state AARP organizations.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I logged into the AARP Member Benefits Guide. Under 'hotels' they list a general diccountof 10% off best available rate at all Choice, Hilton, Starwood and Wyndham properties. I am sure that other brands like Marriott etc. also have agreements with regional or state AARP organizations.
I'm not denying that some hotels have AARP rates for AARP members.

However, my post earlier in this thread was about SENIOR rates, and NOT AARP rates. Thses senior rates have nothing to do with AARP and do not require an AARP membership, although at some properties they are the same as AARP rates.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This one isn't difficult.

There are rates for people who are members of AARP and there are rates for people who are seniors. Sometimes the rates are the same. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes an individual may qualify for one or the other, sometimes for both.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't mind showing the card...it's always in my wallet.

I get asked for the card maybe once a year, usually at RI or FI among the Marriott brands.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't mind showing the card...it's always in my wallet.

I get asked for the card maybe once a year, usually at RI or FI among the Marriott brands.
+3.
It's rare that I get asked for my card.
I always carry it with me (primarily in case of car related trouble).
I'm glad to show it in the rare cases where hotels police use of the AAA rate.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly enough, the AAA and the AARP rates are often the same (especially at Hiltons).
Old May 25, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This one isn't difficult.

There are rates for people who are members of AARP and there are rates for people who are seniors. Sometimes the rates are the same. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes an individual may qualify for one or the other, sometimes for both.
Thank you.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I believe on the Hilton website, you have to enter your AAA account number to book the AAA rate. Maybe Marriott will follow...
Old May 25, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I believe on the Hilton website, you have to enter your AAA account number to book the AAA rate. Maybe Marriott will follow...
Starwood doesn't do this, although they sometimes ask for the card at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.