Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The wording is certainly intention otherwise Marriott needs to starting English comprehensive testing its copywriting hires.

IIRC, when this benefit was first announced there was an immediate outcry, quickly corrected, that it really promised nothing. So this is their SECOND attempt to "get it right".

In fact, the opposite is likely true, legal wordsmiths are hired and prized to create ambiguous drivel like this for all its marketing.

I surmise this placates the hardline franchisees who know only 1 of 100 (or worse) customers that will push it rightfully as hard as Mr. Enigma368 above.

Really sucks as we might have no real need for it during 50 business trips per year but on the one vacation per year, its a hassle to collect. Marriott needs to look at this from that point of view.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
One more data point: Requested 2pm checkout on the app during the check-in process for the Clearwater Beach Marriott. They confirmed it at check-in.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
The wording is certainly intention otherwise Marriott needs to starting English comprehensive testing its copywriting hires.

I surmise this placates the hardline franchisees who know only 1 of 100 (or worse) customers that will push it rightfully as hard as Mr. Enigma368 above.

Really sucks as we might have no real need for it during 50 business trips per year but on the one vacation per year, its a hassle to collect. Marriott needs to look at this from that point of view.
I only push it because much of the time I specifically book Marriotts or SPGs for this benefit. I work from wherever I am and a 4pm checkout means I can do my day's work and then checkout. It is a little unfair to guarantee something but then make people fight for it if the property feels like not honoring it. That said I have used this benefit many times in the past year and 90%+ of the time it is granted without a second's hesitation.

Anyway, I had a very polite conversation with one of the managers on checkout yesterday and he said the actual reason they can deny it based on availability is because "Palm Springs is a resort destination and therefore we are excluded from this guarantee". I asked if they were a resort hotel and he said "no" but because they are located in a resort destination, they are on a list of excluded hotels from this guarantee.

I am skeptical as to his explanation as it goes against what Marriott's website says but he was 100% convinced in what he was saying and said he had this discussion with Marriott several times and he was frustrated that they were not making this clearer.

I will contact Marriott and find out if such a list exists(other than a standard list of resort and convention hotels) as, if it does, it would be very helpful for my future booking reference. Will update this thread when I hear back. As I said to the Manager in the hotel this weekend, I just want to clarify how this works so I can book certain hotels knowing the 4pm checkout won't be a problem.

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 12, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:13 pm

List

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I only push it because much of the time I specifically book Marriotts or SPGs for this benefit. I work from wherever I am and a 4pm checkout means I can do my day's work and then checkout. It is a little unfair to guarantee something but then make people fight for it if the property feels like not honoring it. That said I have used this benefit many times in the past year and 90%+ of the time it is granted without a second's hesitation.

Anyway, I had a very polite conversation with one of the managers on checkout yesterday and he said the actual reason they can deny it based on availability is because "Palm Springs is a resort destination and therefore we are excluded from this guarantee". I asked if they were a resort hotel and he said "no" but because they are located in a resort destination, they are on a list of excluded hotels from this guarantee.

I am skeptical as to his explanation as it goes against what Marriott's website says but he was 100% convinced in what he was saying and said he had this discussion with Marriott several times and he was frustrated that they were not making this clearer.

I will contact Marriott and find out if such a list exists(other than a standard list of resort and convention hotels) as, if it does, it would be very helpful for my future booking reference. Will update this thread when I hear back. As I said to the Manager in the hotel this weekend, I just want to clarify how this works so I can book certain hotels knowing the 4pm checkout won't be a problem.

If you get a list it would be great for them to email it to you and if you could post it on here!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:35 pm

So far I have requested late checkout from the JW resort in Phoenix, AC Hotel in NOLA, and the Marriott in NOLA. I requested all on the app first. None of my app requested were acknowledged, asked the front desk at the end of checking in each time for 4 PM. The resort gave me until 2 PM. The two NOLA hotels gave me the 4 PM with no problem.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have found that with the app one can sometimes only request a late check-out in general, with the check out time to be fixed upon arrival.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott15
If you get a list it would be great for them to email it to you and if you could post it on here!
Just to update on the 4pm late checkout denial I got at Courtyard Palm Springs. As mentioned I followed up with Marriott to see if the hotel Manager's insistence that "despite not being a resort, we are on a list of hotels excluded from this benefit due to our location in a resort destination" was truthful and correct.

Marriott's first response was just a copy and paste not addressing the specific question:
Gold and Platinum Elite members are eligible for Guaranteed Late Check-out. Gold and Platinum members may request a check-out time as late as 4:00 PM hotel time. The request for late check-out may be made at the time of booking, through the Marriott Mobile app during the check-in process, or at the front desk at check-in or anytime during the stay. Check-out time is confirmed by the hotel at the time of arrival and is guaranteed only for the room you personally occupy if you have multiple rooms during your stay.

Both Priority Late Check-out for Silver Elite members and Guaranteed Late Check-out for Gold and Platinum members are not available at Marriott Vacation Club properties. Guaranteed late check-out is available at all other participating hotels, including the Ritz-Carlton. Hotels that are classified as Resort or Convention hotels offer late check-out based on availability. Although late check-out is not guaranteed at resort and convention hotels, the hotel will make every effort to accommodate a request for late check-out.
I pushed for a response on the specific hotel and got this:

Thank you for your email regarding the Courtyard Palm Springs. They are not a resort property, nor are they on a list with said properties. They should have allowed you a late check out. The hotel evidently did not believe that they had the rooms available to allow you to do that. I apologize for this oversight on their part. I have placed 500 Marriott Rewards points into your account for this issue. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us again.
The only reason I am trying to clarify this is because I regularly book Marriotts for this benefit and if some hotels can just decide by themselves that they shouldn't have to offer the guaranteed benefit because it doesn't work for them, then how you can rely on this guarantee. I will probably just leave the hotel a bad review for denying a guaranteed benefit.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Residence inn treasure island on a points plus cash. For six days. They gave me the 4 PM with a smile. I used a travel package and paid to get a one bedroom. TP included a studio. They also upgraded me and the grand kids to a 2 bedroom when I checkied in.

Courtyard in Madeira beach earlier in the mont also gave me a 4 PM with no hesitation on a three day stay.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, quite often properties will make up rules to sound like they know what they are doing. Whether it's the individual talking off the cuff or a party line given by higher ups is unclear. Only by pushing the issue do you have a chance to get them to correct your behaviour.

Marriott's first response was just a copy and paste not addressing the specific question:
Unfortunately, there are some first-level (and maybe higher) CSRs that will support the property even if they are wrong. It's sad that the customer has to know to escalate the issue and get the correct information, often too late to have any direct benefit other than confirmation that the policy hasn't been changed. You can help others by posting your experience on the property master thread here and to post a review on Trip Advisor to get a larger audience exposure to the property tactics AND maybe get the property to change their ways.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
The only reason I am trying to clarify this is because I regularly book Marriotts for this benefit and if some hotels can just decide by themselves that they shouldn't have to offer the guaranteed benefit because it doesn't work for them, then how you can rely on this guarantee. I will probably just leave the hotel a bad review for denying a guaranteed benefit.
I

I would send the manager a copy of the email (exclude the points they gave you as they were meager) with a "pissed off" note explaining that you do plan to write a negative review. Give him/her a few days to reply. At best, you have educated them and they will give you a decent amount of points, at worse you will feel correct in writing a terrible review

ps Keep the "Mr Marriott's" number on your phone and the next time you have said problem, call in front of manager with phone on speaker. You will get an immediate response which the manager will have to follow
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BeatCal
I

I would send the manager a copy of the email (exclude the points they gave you as they were meager) with a "pissed off" note explaining that you do plan to write a negative review. Give him/her a few days to reply. At best, you have educated them and they will give you a decent amount of points, at worse you will feel correct in writing a terrible review

ps Keep the "Mr Marriott's" number on your phone and the next time you have said problem, call in front of manager with phone on speaker. You will get an immediate response which the manager will have to follow
Where does Marriott keep the email addresses o individual hotels. Cannot see it on the property page but I am probably just being blind: Hotels near Palm Springs Airport | Courtyard Palm Springs
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Where does Marriott keep the email addresses o individual hotels. Cannot see it on the property page but I am probably just being blind: Hotels near Palm Springs Airport Courtyard Palm Springs
They are not on the property page - usually I contact Marriott via the web form asking for a direct email address for the property.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Edit.

Last edited by Disconnections; Mar 2, 2018 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
You either have to:
1) call and ask for the email address of the manager BEST WAY
2) As Twickenham states, do the generic Marriott email. The manager get a copy of good and bad
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've never, ever been denied a 4 p.m. check-out since the policy was announced. Once a front desk clerk said 2 p.m. when I asked for a late check-out. I replied that I was a Marriott platinum and she quickly offered 4 p.m. Most of the time the front desk proactively asks if I want a 4 p.m. late check-out when checking into a hotel.

Oddly enough, only a Westin has given me a difficult time about a 4 p.m. late check-out, even though supposedly SPG's policy is supposedly ironclad. The latest I could get was 2 p.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.