Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not at a Marriott, but it was such a shock i'll share here. Sheraton in Montreal this week, at check in, without asking the check in clerk told me that I had been upgraded, where the lounge is, the hours it is open and then added YOU ARE FREE TO CHECKOUT AS LATE AS 6pm TOMORROW.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Marriott Georgetown Washington DC

As Gold for this afternoon

3:00 pm no problem at all

GF running late so called for a 4:00pm

​​​​​​​granted no problem
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Marriott Marquis Washington DC, this past Saturday, March 3.

Denied without any explanation, just said they are not giving any late checkouts that day.

I called the platinum line, he said that I am entitled, and asked if he could put me on hold so he could call the hotel. He comes back and apologizes, but tells me that property is considered a convention hotel so they are exempt from mandatory late checkouts for platinum members.

That hotel is a very poorly managed property, and I won't go back there, but that is another story not appropriate for this forum.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MW147
Marriott Marquis Washington DC, this past Saturday, March 3.

Denied without any explanation, just said they are not giving any late checkouts that day.

I called the platinum line, he said that I am entitled, and asked if he could put me on hold so he could call the hotel. He comes back and apologizes, but tells me that property is considered a convention hotel so they are exempt from mandatory late checkouts for platinum members.

That hotel is a very poorly managed property, and I won't go back there, but that is another story not appropriate for this forum.
I would follow-up with Marriott: Marriott Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected] >

Marriott's terms should list late check-out exempt properties, just as it lists other properties that are exempt from certain aspects.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would follow-up with Marriott: Marriott Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected] >

Marriott's terms should list late check-out exempt properties, just as it lists other properties that are exempt from certain aspects.
The rep on the platinum line made the same suggestion. I might do that later this week when I have some time.

Hey, are you THAT hockey insider?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Don't waste your time! No explanation from the hotel was necessary. The Marriott Marquis Washington, DC has direct access to the DC Convention Center and is considered a convention hotel!

Marriott Reward's Guaranteed Late Check Out Terms and Conditions:
Guaranteed Late Checkout: Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability (bold added). Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.

The Marriott Marquis Washington, DC is also the first hotel the pops up when you search for convention & resort hotel locations under, "DC Area," on Marriott's website. ( Find a Convention Hotel | Marriott?s Convention Hotels & Resorts )

If it wasn't on the list, then your complaint would be valid...

Regards,

RIP....

Last edited by OU812; Mar 6, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by OU812
Don't waste your time! No explanation from the hotel was necessary. The Marriott Marquis Washington, DC has direct access to the DC Convention Center and is considered a convention hotel!

Marriott Reward's Guaranteed Late Check Out Terms and Conditions:
Guaranteed Late Checkout: Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability (bold added). Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.

The Marriott Marquis Washington, DC is also the first hotel the pops up when you search for convention & resort hotel locations under, "DC Area," on Marriott's website. ( Find a Convention Hotel Marriott?s Convention Hotels & Resorts )

If it wasn't on the list, then your complaint would be valid...

Regards,

RIP....
So are those hotels the only hotels Marriott considers convention or resort hotels? Is that the official list?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Marriott15
So are those hotels the only hotels Marriott considers convention or resort hotels? Is that the official list?
It's their latest but not the only hotels. Changes can happen at any time and the list will be out of date and MR will have the final say. Yet another wiggle point with the MR program.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's their latest but not the only hotels. Changes can happen at any time and the list will be out of date and MR will have the final say. Yet another wiggle point with the MR program.
The exempt hotels should be listed in the terms and conditions.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The exempt hotels should be listed in the terms and conditions.
I agree, but any list can/will be obsolete just about as quickly as they publish it.

I think it was MR that used to boast the property must state Convention or Resort in it's name to qualify, but that seems to have been dropped.

Last edited by RogerD408; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Ultimately it doesn't matter what Marriott thinks or says, it's what the property says. Because there is no enforcement by corporate, regardless whether the property appears on any particular Marriott list of convention or resort properties.

That said, IME most properties are very good about honoring the benefit.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BeatCal
I

I would send the manager a copy of the email (exclude the points they gave you as they were meager) with a "pissed off" note explaining that you do plan to write a negative review. Give him/her a few days to reply. At best, you have educated them and they will give you a decent amount of points, at worse you will feel correct in writing a terrible review

ps Keep the "Mr Marriott's" number on your phone and the next time you have said problem, call in front of manager with phone on speaker. You will get an immediate response which the manager will have to follow

So the Courtyard Palm Springs responded and was pretty frank.

Greetings Mr. Enigma368

Thank you for your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards Gold member. I apologize that you were not granted your 4pm late check out which is one of your benefits as a Gold member. I have spoken to my team in regards to this and they are aware that the benefit needs to be honored. Yes customer service is right that we are not a resort hotel, but we are based in a resort destination with the convention center just 1 block from us and an airport mile down the road.

As you stated, in Palm Springs it is difficult due to the amount of activity the hotel has especially during the months of January-April. Customer care does not understand the dynamics of our hotel. We are in a resort location and next to the convention center as such when we have 100 check outs on a Sunday and 100 check-ins on a Sunday it makes it very difficult to have all the rooms ready for our incoming guests with a check in guarantee of 4pm. As you can see it is not that we don’t want to honor the request, we try our very best to do so and make all our guests happy.

I understand your concern and moving forward we will try to manage this benefit the best we can to satisfy all guests. In your next visit to Palm Springs I would be honored to grant you the 4pm check out and also make sure you have an excellent stay. Please email me personally when you visit again.

Since you did not receive you benefit , I have taken this time to purchase 5000 points towards your Marriott Rewards account.

Again, my apologies and I hope you give us another chance.

Sincerely
Courtyard Palm Springs(name removed)
What bothers me is that the hotel initially insisted that that this benefit was based on availability and things got mildly heated as I insisted that that was not the policy for non resort/convention hotels and they insisted that I was wrong. On checkout, the on duty Manager then told me this fairly detailed story as to how they were on a list of exempt hotels, which now clearly is shown to not be correct(and tbh now seems like an outright lie)

The hotel has now also contacted Marriott about this and Marriott accidently sent the reply to me(lol):

Dear customer care

I have already responded to this guest with 5000 points purchase.

I wanted to reach out to you on this guest and your response to him. I understand we are not a resort hotel, we are a Courtyard property – but we are based in a resort destination of Palm Springs – just one mile from downtown, 1 block from the convention center and 1 mile from the airport.
This Courtyard is not a typical Courtyard –we are sold out every weekend and then we have the convention factor that arrives on a Sunday or Monday. Do you know how difficult it is for us to grant every single member that requires a 4 pm when we have 100 check outs on a Sunday and 100 check ins on a Sunday??? - it is nearly impossible

How can I get on a list to exempt this benefit for the months of January – April as that is our high season.

Thank you for your understanding
Courtyard Palm Springs(name removed)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
How can I get on a list to exempt this benefit

Reflag to a non-Marriott chain that doesn't offer late check outs?

I think the better answer is to back it up with performance penalty as with the PAG or getting walked. Fine, we're booked solid tonight and unable to offer the late check out, here's $50 cash. Or 5000 points. The guest gets something for not receiving the benefit and the property has to cough up something too.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Reflag to a non-Marriott chain that doesn't offer late check outs?

I think the better answer is to back it up with performance penalty as with the PAG or getting walked. Fine, we're booked solid tonight and unable to offer the late check out, here's $50 cash. Or 5000 points. The guest gets something for not receiving the benefit and the property has to cough up something too.
I like your idea that the guest would be compensated if they don't receive the 4pm check out! It will be interesting to see if with the merger that Marriott keeps the 4pm checkout! I think they will. I feel for the hotel though. If he is being 100% honest how does a hotel like his, which I am sure is rare, that actually gets booked with conferences at the convention meet the 4pm guaranteed guest check out! If I was him I would be on the phone showing Marriott the true numbers and say, look I can't honor what you are offering.....how do we fix this in the future!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Just checked in at the Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna, confirmed 4pm late check out for tomorrow without any issue, as a Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.