Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:07 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jaejaez
About to check in to a Sheraton hotel (not a resort, not a conf hotel) in a few days time and I can still see in the app it says (among other things):

Late Checkout
"As a Titanium Elite member, your benefits include late check-out. We will do our best to accommodate your requests upon your arrival."

Not sure why they would STILL word this benefit in such a way to make it sound like the 4PM late checkout is not a guarantee but on a 'best effort' basis by the hotel. In fact, such kind of wordings to 'blur' this benefit seems to be becoming more frequent across Marriott's comms channels. IME not only does this confuse the plat/titanium guests to thinking that 4PM (or ANY late checkout) isn't guaranteed but also the hotel associates... especially those new to the job.

Why make it more confusing? Is it too hard to print "As a Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador member staying in a non-resort / conference center your benefits include late check-out until 4PM." and asterisk-caveat it to exclude Design hotels etc ??
I agree. It’s weird. I noticed even the St. Regis New York does this. They state they cannot honor late check-out requests for Bonvoy members. However, they gladly accommodated my request when I asked (we’ll see how my check-out next week actually goes).

I find it very weird the STR NY does this because:

1) It is operated directly by Marriott
2) It was owned by Marriott until a recent sale
3) It was Starwood owned and operated until the acquisition

Given that guaranteed late check-out is a direct artifact of SPG, shouldn’t THE flagship Starwood property that is operated directly by Marriott be openly guaranteeing the late check-out benefit?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
About to check in to a Sheraton hotel (not a resort, not a conf hotel) in a few days time and I can still see in the app it says (among other things):

Late Checkout
"As a Titanium Elite member, your benefits include late check-out. We will do our best to accommodate your requests upon your arrival."

Not sure why they would STILL word this benefit in such a way to make it sound like the 4PM late checkout is not a guarantee but on a 'best effort' basis by the hotel. In fact, such kind of wordings to 'blur' this benefit seems to be becoming more frequent across Marriott's comms channels. IME not only does this confuse the plat/titanium guests to thinking that 4PM (or ANY late checkout) isn't guaranteed but also the hotel associates... especially those new to the job.

Why make it more confusing? Is it too hard to print "As a Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador member staying in a non-resort / conference center your benefits include late check-out until 4PM." and asterisk-caveat it to exclude Design hotels etc ??
I don't understand your post. If it is a conference hotel then it is NOT guaranteed. Are you complaining about the fact that they might try to give you late check-out anyway (which they are allowed to do)?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbrower
I don't understand your post. If it is a conference hotel then it is NOT guaranteed. Are you complaining about the fact that they might try to give you late check-out anyway (which they are allowed to do)?
The first line of OPs post says the Sheraton he is referring to is neither a resort nor a conference hotel
mikebor, jaejaez and WasKnown like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
The first line of OPs post says the Sheraton he is referring to is neither a resort nor a conference hotel
Wow, I was sure I read it the other way. My apologies to everyone. If it isn't a conference or a resort hotel, then the language on MY app (not just the T&C, but also the app) guarantees the 4pm. However, what is the hotel? Because it isn't always clear to the consumer if it is a conference/resort hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Wow, I was sure I read it the other way. My apologies to everyone. If it isn't a conference or a resort hotel, then the language on MY app (not just the T&C, but also the app) guarantees the 4pm. However, what is the hotel? Because it isn't always clear to the consumer if it is a conference/resort hotel.
It is the Sheraton Mall of the Emirates hotel in Dubai but this has no relevance as I get the same message for all hotels i check into these days. See image below under "Late Checkout".
Again, it's no biggie as I am sure I will still get the 4PM checkout when I need it >90% of the time but I just find it somewhat disingenuous that Marriott seems to water down the wordings around late checkout for elites (plat/titanium/amb) to make it sound like it's not a guarantee but on a "best effort" basis.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As Adam Carolla is fond of saying, "I don't want you to do YOUR best...I want you to do MY best" (which in this case, is living up to promised loyalty benefits).
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:09 am
Original Member

It is the Sheraton Mall of the Emirates hotel in Dubai but this has no relevance as I get the same message for all hotels i check into these days. See image below under "Late Checkout".
Again, it's no biggie as I am sure I will still get the 4PM checkout when I need it >90% of the time but I just find it somewhat disingenuous that Marriott seems to water down the wordings around late checkout for elites (plat/titanium/amb) to make it sound like it's not a guarantee but on a "best effort" basis.

That is interesting. Also on the app, if you go to Benefits, under Titanium, under a drop down called "4 p.m. Late Checkout" it says "Guaranteed 4pm late checkout, subject to availability at resort and convention hotels."

That is actually one of the clearest summaries I have ever seen.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I was offered a 2:00 PM late checkout at the Courtyard in Marina Del Rey California. Offered 1:00 PM until I protested.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My first ever rejection, and that's dating back to Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier and now Titanium since 2019.

I was at the Westin Hapuna in a Premier Ocean View King room. I asked for a late checkout the day I left (6/23) and was refused. I later tried with a second agent and was also refused. I asked for so little as 1 PM and I was flatly refused. I was told my room was already assigned to someone else and it was "subject to availability". Pretty disappointing.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
My first ever rejection, and that's dating back to Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier and now Titanium since 2019.

I was at the Westin Hapuna in a Premier Ocean View King room. I asked for a late checkout the day I left (6/23) and was refused. I later tried with a second agent and was also refused. I asked for so little as 1 PM and I was flatly refused. I was told my room was already assigned to someone else and it was "subject to availability". Pretty disappointing.
First rejection even at resorts? If yes, you’ve done well so far.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Pretty disappointing.
That property is a resort, where late checkout is at their discretion.

Did they reduce at all the resort fee for you since wifi is an elite benefit? (They did for me back in October 2019. I think I saved $6 or $7 per day.)
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myperks
First rejection even at resorts? If yes, you’ve done well so far.
Yep, good string of luck indeed.

Originally Posted by dgreen12
That property is a resort, where late checkout is at their discretion.

Did they reduce at all the resort fee for you since wifi is an elite benefit? (They did for me back in October 2019. I think I saved $6 or $7 per day.)
They did not, I paid the full $37 per day for the resort fee. They even explained to me how I was getting free Wifi throughout the hotel as a benefit when they broke down the fee.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
They did not, I paid the full $37 per day for the resort fee. They even explained to me how I was getting free Wifi throughout the hotel as a benefit when they broke down the fee.
Ahh. I had asked them the question at checkin about what the replacement benefit was for wifi being included in the resort fee. After a day or so, they informed me of the daily credit.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
TownePlace Suites Mt. Laurel, NJ. Bonvoy TItanium and was refused 4pm. Was offered 1pm. Called Bonvoy to get clarification and opened a case for future reference, they also gave me 10,000 points concession too which eases the pain. I don't want to sit in traffic for 3 hours again like I did today and trying to drive off peak (saturdays are usually turn days for vacation rentals) on the ocean.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:35 am

I’m at thr Courtyard downtown St Louis

wanted a 1:30 late checkout. The “charming” front desk staff automatically responded “no late checkout”

Now it’s next to a convention center and I can understand if there’s an event. however look me in the face before you make your ultimatum announcement. I’ve interacted with this woman twice and apparently if she smiles her face will break. I also not offered any recognition or amenities on check in. (Oh and they do offer this at times)

I’m going to wait till tomorrow and actually reach out to the general manager about Ms Personality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.