Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198
Print Wikipost

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Originally Posted by remymartin
I don't know what Signature Travel amenities are, but if you have booked a suite and have breakfast included, I think you'll have a splendid time here.
Thank you Remy. Below are the Signature amenities:

- Daily buffet breakfast
- One Complimentary Lunch for 2 , up to 3 courses at Café Imperial
(excluding alcoholic beverages and gratuities)
- Welcome amenity: Fruit & Mineral Water
- Upgrade at check-in upon availability
- Butler Service
- Return airport transfer

I have spoken to my TA and others and am confident that my initial anxiety was unwarranted.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm looking to book an award stay in Vienna, and was looking at this hotel, I'm not too sure what to stay, it looks like a wonderful place on the SPG web site. We are touring eastern Europe in our BMW in July... I guess I might have to look at other hotels...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by malioil
Thank you Remy. Below are the Signature amenities:

- Daily buffet breakfast
- One Complimentary Lunch for 2 , up to 3 courses at Café Imperial
(excluding alcoholic beverages and gratuities)
- Welcome amenity: Fruit & Mineral Water
- Upgrade at check-in upon availability
- Butler Service
- Return airport transfer

I have spoken to my TA and others and am confident that my initial anxiety was unwarranted.
This is truly a stunning property in a very good location. Not all rooms have great views, though.

The hotel breakfast spread was good, and includes champagne if your stomach can take it in the morning

The renovations were wrapped up around August last year. When I was there, I did not try the restaurant as I had other arrangements. I found service very good.

At the end of the day, it might boil down to satisfaction at the price paid. This is something very subjective.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by malioil
I'm worried about some of the reviews here. I and a friend are going to be at the Imperial next week, I have booked an Elizabeth Suite while she has a Classic Room. We are both paying the full rate with Signature Travel amenities. I really hope we wind up with a good experience... any recent reviews?
If you take a closer look at my posts about the Imperial from some years ago, you will find comments about them running two hotels in one building...

A certain part is set aside for tourists on package holidays looking for the 'Sissi Romance' type of stay, some of them are from Asia and continue to Neuschwanstein in Germany.
Most of them used on to be on the lower floors in Classic Rooms

The other part of the hotel is operated for really important guests, partly paid for by the Austrian Government, so a lot of diplomatic travel etc.

Add some wealthy leisure & business travel and revenue from selling the famous Sachertorte to the mix and you have the business plan for the Imperial.

I haven't been to the hotel since they finished the renovations last fall, but I can only hope that they did a thorough job. Certain parts of the hotel are amazing, other parts were in desperate need of a renovation. A 200 year old chair has a lot of charme, even for us from old Europe, but not when it comes with stains and is barely able to hold the human being sitting on it.

I really hope you post some pictures, would love to see the difference between a Classic Room and one of the Sissi suites now. My last stay there was upgraded to one of the suites and while it was truly grand, high floors, silk wall paper, chairs with beautiful ornaments, it was simply not in a good shape anymore. I really hope that they changed all of that during the last few years.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Has anyone who's stayed at the Imperial used Starwood points to pay for breakfast? We've done that in Venice at the Westin Regina since it was a very good value to pay for the buffet breakfast using points instead of cash since it was 35 euro a piece, yet with points it worked out much better for us. Does the Imperial accept SPG points for hotel charges as most Starwood properties do? So many points = xx euro? I'm particularly interested in details of any SPG 'instant rewards' that this hotel offers. I saw an old post about it, but it was years ago so the points required for certain instant rewards, like breakfast, may be different now. Need current data and couldn't find it on the hotel's website and can't get anyone to respond via email about this question.

Last edited by Churnman; Jun 11, 2015 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:44 am

Can anyone tell me about the Imperial Suites (Premier level) at the Hotel Imperial?

I'm unable to bring up any photos online with the exception of the following:
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...rial-Suite.jpg

Imperial Jr Suites:
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...nior-Suite.jpg
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...te-Bedroom.jpg

I've been speaking with a reservation manager at the property to negotiate preferred rates for a week-long stay, but I would love to get some first-hand feedback and better photos with description of where these suites are located at the property, the views afforded, etc. I'm trying to decide between one of the One-Bedroom Terrace Suites overlooking the Opera House at the Sacher Wien (at a slightly better rate) or the Imperial Suite at the Hotel Imperial (at discounted rate but still more expensive than the Sacher).
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OliverB
Can anyone tell me about the Imperial Suites (Premier level) at the Hotel Imperial?

I'm unable to bring up any photos online with the exception of the following:
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...rial-Suite.jpg

Imperial Jr Suites:
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...nior-Suite.jpg
http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...te-Bedroom.jpg

I've been speaking with a reservation manager at the property to negotiate preferred rates for a week-long stay, but I would love to get some first-hand feedback and better photos with description of where these suites are located at the property, the views afforded, etc. I'm trying to decide between one of the One-Bedroom Terrace Suites overlooking the Opera House at the Sacher Wien (at a slightly better rate) or the Imperial Suite at the Hotel Imperial (at discounted rate but still more expensive than the Sacher).
As you were told in another thread, the Imperial is simply a higher class property than the Sacher. The front views toward the ring strasse would have buildings on the other side of the street, but then a park with a historic palace-like building being used as a pavilion. You should also get a view of some of the old church spires among the rooftops as that side of the building would be looking toward the historic center of Vienna. However, I don't know how high of a floor would be needed to look over the buildings in the foreground.

When I stayed at the Imperial in something like a deluxe double room (I forget the exact category, but on one of the higher floors--I want to guess the fifth floor-- and definitely not s suite), I vaguely had a mildly interesting view, but nothing spectacular. I don't remember the side of the building on which my room was located.

The hotel should be able to tell you precisely where suites of different categories are located. However, the more common suites could be almost scattered throughout the hotel, so that it would become a matter of luck of the draw at check in unless the hotel is willing to block off and confirm a specific suite for you in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As you were told in another thread, the Imperial is simply a higher class property than the Sacher. The front views toward the ring strasse would have buildings on the other side of the street, but then a park with a historic palace-like building being used as a pavilion. You should also get a view of some of the old church spires among the rooftops as that side of the building would be looking toward the historic center of Vienna. However, I don't know how high of a floor would be needed to look over the buildings in the foreground.

When I stayed at the Imperial in something like a deluxe double room (I forget the exact category, but on one of the higher floors--I want to guess the fifth floor-- and definitely not s suite), I vaguely had a mildly interesting view, but nothing spectacular. I don't remember the side of the building on which my room was located.

The hotel should be able to tell you precisely where suites of different categories are located. However, the more common suites could be almost scattered throughout the hotel, so that it would become a matter of luck of the draw at check in unless the hotel is willing to block off and confirm a specific suite for you in advance.
Thanks a lot!

The manager that I spoke with informed me that they're doing ongoing soft renovations on their premier suite categories. I was initially hesitant when researching mid-level suites and discovering that even those commanding higher rack rates (Maria Theresia Suite, etc) seemed to be overdue for a refresh. Most of the furnishings aren't period authentic and seemed to lean towards an aesthetic of "generic fancy" that neither supports nor compliments the integrity of the building's incredible architecture and design. Ie. lots of old red carpeting and cheaply upholstered, imitation Louis XV furniture that could stand a refurb. It wasn't until I happened upon the above photos that I changed my position. To be fair though, the Imperial Suites are still roughly $400-500 more per night than the suites I was looking at the Sacher Wien. I'd rather spend an extra 3k and stock up the points for future travel though!

I'm going to try and get more specifics concerning the Imperial Suites... the manager was unable to provide any photos beyond linking me to the following page, but I'm going to ask for it to be even more clearly defined:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...sId=1002912544

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:25 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
The picture of the Imperial Suite that you posted looks very much like the Suite we stayed in but, it was several years ago. The room was amazing: very large living room, high ceilings, lovely porcelain objects in the glass cabinet, desk, chaise, sofa, chairs and table. The bathroom was large with marble heated floors and a large tub and separate shower. The toilet was in a separate room of its own. The bedroom was also large and comfortable. We did look out onto the street in front of the hotel which does face other buildings. Service was wonderful and if I knew I could get upgraded to this room again, I would not hesitate to go back. Hope this helps.

I have pictures but am not able to attach them, sorry.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by tnw
The picture of the Imperial Suite that you posted looks very much like the Suite we stayed in but, it was several years ago. The room was amazing: very large living room, high ceilings, lovely porcelain objects in the glass cabinet, desk, chaise, sofa, chairs and table. The bathroom was large with marble heated floors and a large tub and separate shower. The toilet was in a separate room of its own. The bedroom was also large and comfortable. We did look out onto the street in front of the hotel which does face other buildings. Service was wonderful and if I knew I could get upgraded to this room again, I would not hesitate to go back. Hope this helps.

I have pictures but am not able to attach them, sorry.
Thank you so much!

It does look very palatial and resplendent and I'm really excited! I've requested one of the two corner suites for added privacy and preferred views and I'm awaiting confirmation from the revenue manager, hopefully tomorrow. The only thing that I find odd is that the website indicates that a defining feature of these suites is the antique parquet flooring yet all I see in the above photo is red carpet. I've inquired about this and will follow up when I receive more details. Starwood's website is really lacking for this property and I find it absurd that the most basic of details like pictures of the bathrooms are nowhere to be found... they should put their photographer to work!

Are you able to upload some photos to another host site by chance and provide the link? I would be more than glad to guide you through the process and explain how to do so if you aren't sure.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The description from the hotel's SPG website makes the suites sound very residential.

BTW, when I was last in Vienna, (Former President) Clinton was presumably staying at the Imperial.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
This hotel never disappoints. My favourite in Starwood. Upgraded to Elisabeth Suite using C&P. Actually always been upgraded to Elisabeth since 2009.

Upon entering, got a bottle of champagne, white roses, torte, and welcome letter from GM. Bvlagri bath products. Really nice folks. Always a pleasure staying here.

Lots of security yesterday because of something about Turkey, Russian dignitaries.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Any recent stay expreriences? I will be here in Oct.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Been staying here since 2009 and my favourite property worldwide!

This is why Hotel Imperial is my favourite SPG property worldwide. They are always smiling and treat me so well everytime I am here! Always and always upgraded to their Suites. And on top of that, i get either my Champagne or Wine and some chocolate cake and other goodies every single time since 2009. On top of that, the Director of Rooms accompanied me to my Suite and also get a private butler! Love this place!

I will surely miss this place once the Marriott people start taking over
Attached Images          
remymartin and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by supatight80; Sep 6, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
I will surely miss this place once the Marriott people start taking over
The management team won't change at all under Marriott, actually, as The Imperial is a Luxury Collection property managed by its own team. So you shouldn't be too concerned.

I'm really looking forward to our stay next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.