Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198
Print Wikipost

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by craz
I hope & pray they dont do any renovs. Its an old classic Grand Dame and should remain as such. I loved it when I stayed there a few yrs ago
I can assure you that people in Austria, especially Vienna, know how to handle renovations in order to keep the original appearance.

Just book one of the more upscale rooms at the Imperial reserved for important guests and you will notice the difference.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Originally Posted by oc1
These are some pretty bad reviews for this hotel - I am hoping for a more positive experience when I stay there in two weeks.

I took advantage of the 35% off, for a 5 night stay. Which I think means 5 nights costs 80,000 less 35% = 52,000 points.

I'll report back after I checkin.

Wonder if I should use suite nights at this property - anyone had any luck with this?
I am nervous now about our upcoming 5 night say given the reviews here. This one trip is important for personal reasons. How was your stay?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by capitalflow
I am nervous now about our upcoming 5 night say given the reviews here. This one trip is important for personal reasons. How was your stay?
stayed here in February and loved it.

I've stayed in Vienna 5 or 6 times this year after that, mostly at Le Meridien because the stays were work related.

All 3 hotels are nice and their location is great. So relax
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:44 am

Don't worry

Don't worry about your upcoming stay. This is a great hotel. This is where I went for the very first international trip with my then girlfriend, and many years later, we made it the first stop on our honeymoon (with a few visits inbetween).

Although my assessment may be distorted due to the personal memories I associate with this hotel, I would recommend you the following:

1. This hotel has many repeat guests, including celebrities and sometimes even heads of state (during our first visit, the emperor of Japan was there, for example). These people pay for their suites. So, if a guests expects "special recognition" because he is a "platinum member" of some program, he might end of slightly disappointed. They reserve their special recognition for their repeat guests booking their suites on cash. Guests haggling over how many breakfasts of what type are included as a plat amenity are simply not their target group (sorry, no offense intended to anyone!).

That said, the hotel fully plays by SPG T&Cs. I have had very nice rooms even on points stays. If you absolutely require a suite to make stay special, I can only recommend to book one. I can recommend the maisonette suite, which is a nice two-story suite with a sitting area on the upper floor looking down on the bedroom below. The butler service in the suites is great - for example, when we returned from sightseeing each afternoon a different set of tasty snacks was waiting in our suite. Alternatively, the junior suites on the top floor are also nice. They are very spacious and some have small step-out balconies with great views over Vienna.

2. Service is indeed a bit formal, as is the overall atmosphere. I can fully imagine that as a guest that does not fit the mold (e.g., walking into the lobby in sweatsuit and sneakers), they would treat you professionally, but a tad more coldly. To each their own. This is an old world institution, and such places must also have a right to exist. If you want a casual place, look somewhere else - there are many great alternatives in Vienna.

We only had good experiences with the concierge. He got us excellent restaurant reservations, and was very helpful in securing hard-to-get concert tickets.

3. Regarding breakfast. Yes it is nothing special, and no it is not worth EUR 39, even adjusting for typical luxury hotel inflated breakfast pricing. If you want the convenience of an on-site breakfast and are not worried about price, just have it. Otherwise, there are many excellent cafés nearby.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Thumbs up Great stay!

The breakfast buffet in the Cafe Imperial was excellent. Huge selection of breads, pastries, tort. Five different kinds of juices. Fresh yogurts. Various kinds of cold cuts. Lots of fresh fruit. Sausages. Bacon. Eggs. Champagne.

Overall. A wonderful experience upgraded to a junior suite. The Hotel Bristol opens after it's Art Deco renovations and looks like it will have a more modern feel to it, quite similar to the Prince de Gaul. It will be hard to choose which hotel next time I am in VIE.

But isn't that airport awful? The way-finding system is terribly confusing.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:40 pm

Hi, Wondering how this hotel compares to the Bristol nearby? As far as I can tell both are quite similar hotels. Have a trip coming up to Vienna and trying to choose between the two. Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
Hi, Wondering how this hotel compares to the Bristol nearby? As far as I can tell both are quite similar hotels. Have a trip coming up to Vienna and trying to choose between the two. Thanks!
The imperial is obviously a lot more grande - the 'wow' factor is there when you walk into the lobby. the furnishings, the rooms, the staff are a lot more formal, though a bit cold.

The Bristol may look similar on websites but in real life feels very different. It is a much cozier hotel, as is evident from the lobby (small and dark) - feels more like a former mansion of a very rich person than a palace.

just my two cents.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jaejaez
The imperial is obviously a lot more grande - the 'wow' factor is there when you walk into the lobby. the furnishings, the rooms, the staff are a lot more formal, though a bit cold.

The Bristol may look similar on websites but in real life feels very different. It is a much cozier hotel, as is evident from the lobby (small and dark) - feels more like a former mansion of a very rich person than a palace.

just my two cents.
Thanks. Do you have an opinion as to which would be better with small kids (ages 3 and 1)? Our kids are used to traveling and well behaved, so that isn't an issue for us, but would the hotel look askance?

I guess Imperial is 20k and Bristol is 12k -- the real question is, is Imperial nearly twice as nice as Bristol...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
This hotel never disappoints. Always upgraded to Elisabeth Suite since 2009.
Butler service, bulgari bath products, free box of imperial torte and/or chocolate covered strawberries daily. Always delivers exceptional service. You can even go shopping, give them the hotel business card with your name on it as "temporary resident", and have a guaranteed table reservation at club passage!

Luvs it!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here last week for two nights and was very happy with the hotel. I generally have a strong preference for modern design hotels, but Hotel Imperial takes the idea of an old Imperial Palace hotel and implements it extremely well.

I liked the look of the place which I found more intimate and slightly smaller than I had expected. I used an SNA to upgrade to an Elisabeth Suite which was attractive enough, but not kitted out to the same standards or modernity as the likes of the Gritti Palace, for example. Our suite was slightly oddly shaped but met our needs well.

There have been comments about the staff being somewhat cold, but I actually found the opposite. Staff appears to be universally Austrian and most are over 40 years old. That brings a real personal identity to the service where the barman, concierge or receptionist will say they will see you later on in a shift because the hotel is small enough that each individual has their role to play.

Whilst not friendly in a back-slapping Southern American kind of way, I was impressed with each of them (e.g. a receptionist running out to fetch a taxi from 50m down the road). Manfred the concierge managed to track us down a table at a fantastic restaurant despite Vienna having been sold out several weeks beforehand.

The hotel does "grand" very well, and so if you're looking for a romantic stay in Vienna or if you're someone who just misses the feel of your 130 year old private members' club when you leave the colonies I can recommend the Imperial.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
I'm worried about some of the reviews here. I and a friend are going to be at the Imperial next week, I have booked an Elizabeth Suite while she has a Classic Room. We are both paying the full rate with Signature Travel amenities. I really hope we wind up with a good experience... any recent reviews?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by malioil
I'm worried about some of the reviews here. I and a friend are going to be at the Imperial next week, I have booked an Elizabeth Suite while she has a Classic Room. We are both paying the full rate with Signature Travel amenities. I really hope we wind up with a good experience... any recent reviews?
Why isn't Decembeer 2014 recent enough? How quickly do you think traditional hotels change?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why isn't Decembeer 2014 recent enough? How quickly do you think traditional hotels change?
Maybe he'd just noticed that I talk nonsense and was politely asking for a second opinion
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Maybe he'd just noticed that I talk nonsense and was politely asking for a second opinion
Your opinion is more than valid Pete, it is just that reviews have been somewhat inconsistent and as a result I was wondering if everyone else's stays measured up to your experience.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by malioil
I don't know what Signature Travel amenities are, but if you have booked a suite and have breakfast included, I think you'll have a splendid time here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.