Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198
Print Wikipost

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:05 am

I had a bad stay at the Hotel Imperial Vienna

I start this post with a cautious mind knowing that this hotel has great many fans and my negative review will stir up at least a handful of FTers. However, whilst I respect the voices of the fans, I also feel that my difference in opinion is equally valid – and I also find it my responsibility to provide my feedback so that those who use FT as a basis of research for future stays can align their expectations accordingly.

So here I go. Apologies in advance for the long post:

Stayed here last week at the Maisonette suite – I paid the BAR for the low cat room and then used 20K points/night to pre-upgrade it to the suite. This stay was a part of a 2 week long Austria trip where I also had a chance to stay at the Hotel Bristol Vienna, Le Meridien Vienna, Hotel Goldener Hirsch Salzburg and the Schloss Fuschl Salzburg.

Pros:

1. As many have heralded previously on this thread, this is a beautiful hotel – a historic landmark in itself with high ceilings, antique furnishings, oil paintings and sculpted ceilings. My room was a beauty too – refer to prev post by free101girl for detailed description of the Maisonette suite. It really is grandeur – I mean, the walls are silk and amenities are Bvlgari… enough said!

2. Location is great – though not as great as Hotel Bristol but still within easy walking distance to the center of gravity in Vienna which is the Stephansdom and the Staatsoper (the opera house).

3. I had a great butler (Florian) – It took a bit of effort from my end to get a butler from the hotel, but once I got him he was great and provided awesome service. He even took me on a tour of the hotel (which the concierge did not want to – read cons below).

4. Food is also great – though expensive, not at nosebleed levels given that this is one of the most luxurious hotels in one of the most expensive cities. I had two in-room dining where each main course was around EUR 25.00 and the taste was excellent (with EUR 5.00 service charge per head).

5. Maisonette suite comes with a one-way transfer to/from the airport. Our driver who drove us (Zlatko) was the best driver we could ask for to end our trip to Austria. He was friendly and informative and bid us farewell with sincerity.

Cons:

1. Service, service and service. I know many of you have praised the level of service here but I received the complete opposite. This may be due to the fact that they receive high-profile VVIPs all the time – the Turkish president and Whoopi Goldberg was in the hotel not long before I checked in – that those who are less prominent are given less care?? I really am not sure.

For example, this is the only 5* hotel in my memory where when the taxi pulled up in front of the hotel, the doorman stood still around doing nothing. I got out and started unloading my luggage on my own. Nobody opened the cab door for my wife either after what felt like a whole minute… I mean, not a big deal (she can get out of the cab on her own), but not the best way to set ‘first impressions’. I never had to unload my own luggage at IBIS hotels but here I did.
I finally got a bit irritated and called out to the doorman, still standing still, “can you please help?” to which he walked over slowly to help. Speaking of which, not once did any of the doormen greet us or even ‘acknowledge our presence’. We walked past them dozens of times, and he walked past us. No human interaction. I once tried to greet him first, but was ignored (not intentionally I hope). Again, not a big deal (I don’t really need to be greeted by doormen) but it was the minimum standard I encountered in all other so called 5 star hotels in my memory – to be at least acknowledged by the staff “once in a while”?

This ‘lack of interaction’ was consistent throughout the hotel. The concierge, the reception, the butlers were all in a space of their own and not once was I given attention before I walked up to them to ask for something. Perhaps I smell funny?

I would have thought that such is the ‘culture’ of luxury 5* hotels in Austria, but could not for I had been to Hotel Sacher. I went there to try the Sacher Torte at its café (supposedly the “original”). After having the Torte (too sweet for me…) I decided to swing around the lobby to take a look.
Here, I was actually greeted by a man named Markus in the lobby with a “welcome to Hotel Sacher may I help you with anything?” we told them that we were actually staying at the imperial, and that we were just taking a look to see if it is worth giving a try in the future. To this markus briefly described where everything was (biz center, fitness, restaurant), together with a brief history of the building, and asked if he could take us around to see the rooms! We were out of time so we declined, but noticed the stark difference from the imperial. We also noticed that the doormen at the Sacher were actually opening car doors for its guests (surprise!). Am I being too picky? Lol maybe. But it’s not just about the hellos and opening of doors and helping with luggage without prompting etc. This disengagement was the constant theme at the imperial.

Let me be verbose and jot down a couple more examples. The keys at this hotel are the old, heavy kind. When I was dropping my keys with the reception on my way out the 1st day, the receptionist was on the phone. I left the key in front of him on the counter but he did nothing, continuing to talk on the phone with my key out in the open for anyone to snatch away. I had walk back to the counter and “motioned” for him to notice the key, which he ignored by turning to the side whilst still talking on the phone!!? I then took the key and handed it to the concierge who seemed free who finally took my key. Now, this happened 3 times during my stay in various formats – where my key was left on the counter in one way or other, not picked up by anyone, which became quite infuriating in the end. Then my wife realized that there was actually a key-chute in the lobby that I was supposed to drop it into. Yes... Because I did not do what I was “supposed to do”, the receptionist/concierges were unwilling to take the key on my behalf… or even tell me about the chute. Now, the Hotel Bristol & Goldener Hirsch has a similar system, but they always took my key personally with a ‘thank you’/’have a good day Mr. jaez’/both even when they were v. busy (i.e. serving other customers).

On another occasion, I was so impressed by the interior architecture of the hotel that I asked one of the concierges if I could ask someone to take me on a little tour of the hotel grounds. Perhaps this concierge thought I was going to ask him, because he simply commented that “… there is nothing to see here. This is the lobby, that is the sitting area and then the rest are all just rooms.” Again, I was reminded of the short experience I had at the Sacher where I was invited on a tour. His tone of voice was also careless to me and unwelcoming, giving me the impression that he just wanted to ‘get rid of us’ so that he can return to his ‘busy work’.

On yet another occasion, I spoke to the concierge to try and get tickets to a concert. The concierge showed me brochures to the different shows and for one of them I asked what the seating arrangements were and if there was a big difference between the first class seats and second class seats. To this he said that there is no way for him to know, that I should go out, head over to the ticket booth of the actual theatre they are playing in, and ask the “ticket staff there” instead… that this would also save me money as he will have to charge concierge charges otherwise. Now, I was just coming from a stay at the Schloss Fuschl in Salzburg where the concierge there was able to give me all the details about seat locations, even coupled with suggestions based on acoustics for the songs they were going to play. Again, what a difference.

I could go on, but you get the idea. As discussed above, I have stayed in numerous other hotels in Austria during this trip, and by far, the service level at this hotel was quite simply the worst, made up by these little tiny things building up. No interaction, no engagement, wanting to minimize their time to help, and sometimes downright rude. My butler tried to justify this by saying perhaps the staff are all tired from a big event the previous week… (his services were excellent). But to me, that is a very weak argument and/or justification, especially from a hotel where it charges ~EUR 390/night for its cheapest rooms and marketing itself as a place for a ‘royal stay’. Come to think of it, my butler was the only saving grace in terms of service – we were contemplating on checking out after the first night and would have done so if it were not for him.

2. The hotel made an error with my booking. I used my dear 20K points/night to upgrade to a maisonette suite. However, they must have somehow thought that this was a ‘free upgrade’… and declined to give me the associated benefits… telling me that with ‘your upgrade, you only get the room’.
Like many of you, I do not want to kick up a fuss during holidays so I did not argue. Sure the room was nice, but there was no butler service, no pressing, no daily hor devours etc. just the room and my ‘free internet’ which I get anyway as plat.
My irritation over this grew throughout the whole day (with 20K I can get two free nights The Andaman Langkawi) and late at night I decided to call up the plat line in frustration to enquire. After approx 30 mins on the phone speaking both to the plat concierge + the hotel reception + being put on hold etc, they decided to give me ‘the benefits’… And in relation to the 1st day where I was not given any benefits, well, that was too bad because they did not say anything about making up for that in any way.

3. In the interest of keeping this within the 2000 word limit, I will just note one more point: My door to the balcony was malfunctioning in the room. Now, the rooms have been designed so that if the balcony door is open, the aircon shuts off. With the door malfunctioning, I could not get the aircon to work even with the door firmly shut. Both my wife and I tried to work it but to no avail. I got my butler to help who managed to close it properly and hv the aircon running again – but the next time I opened it the same thing happened. And again then again. I was made to feel like it was my fault for not knowing how to handle the door correctly… and maybe they’re right. But if two average adults cannot work it over a period of few days, it might be worth looking into? This balcony was such a nuisance that I ended up not using much of it – though it is one of the biggest part of getting a suite – to enjoy the views out in your private balcony.

So, I did NOT enjoy this stay at all and I voiced out a few of these things to my butler during my stay. Upon check-out, I also voiced out a few more sentences over a period of a minute or so to the receptionist whilst I was checking out. They decided to comp me EUR 84.00 worth of food I had the night before, which I thought was nice of them. But for me, I would rather not be comped anything and have a stay that meets my (not that high, I think) standards than to have to leave the hotel feeling like I have argued my way through getting something for free. This is what I felt and still feel now.

I will not return. My other stays at the other *W hotels in Austria have been excellent (okay, maybe not Hotel Bristol but even then they were much better in service) and I will write my reviews on them too soon. PM me if you have any questions – but like I said earlier, I hope this post helps manage expectations for future fellow FT stayers at the Hotel Imperial which to me was weaker than the Four Points Bangkok which is cheaper by seven-fold.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by jaejaez
On yet another occasion, I spoke to the concierge to try and get tickets to a concert. The concierge showed me brochures to the different shows and for one of them I asked what the seating arrangements were and if there was a big difference between the first class seats and second class seats. To this he said that there is no way for him to know, that I should go out, head over to the ticket booth of the actual theatre they are playing in, and ask the “ticket staff there” instead… that this would also save me money as he will have to charge concierge charges otherwise. Now, I was just coming from a stay at the Schloss Fuschl in Salzburg where the concierge there was able to give me all the details about seat locations, even coupled with suggestions based on acoustics for the songs they were going to play. Again, what a difference....

Great report and it reminds me exactly to some of my stays. Many staff members don't aknowledge you, and also I had such unpleasant interactions with them. Once I asked the concierge for some address he gave me a map and told me that it is somewhere in the centre. I had to tell him very clearly that it's his job to show me exactly where it is and - if he doesn't know it - he shall check this with help of Google map.

Yes, it is a nice hotel but it has also its cons.

May favourite in Vienna is the less expensive but much friendlier Bristol hotel @:-)
Old May 16, 2011, 6:59 am
Suspended

2. The hotel made an error with my booking. I used my dear 20K points/night to upgrade to a maisonette suite. However, they must have somehow thought that this was a ‘free upgrade’… and declined to give me the associated benefits… telling me that with ‘your upgrade, you only get the room’.
Also this is typical for this hotel and also in that situation the hotel was wrong. When there are some benefits associated with the room - this is what you said - then you get those benefits when you get the room. Regardless if you pay cash or cash&points or points. It's another story when the benefits are associated with the rate. In such a case, you won't get them if you get upgrades
Old May 16, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
That sounds like a pretty bad stay jaejaez. Very much seems the cons outweight the pros of this particualr stay at this particular hotel.

I've stayed at Le Meridien in my previous visits to VIE and was tempted to try the Bristol and / or the Imperial. Looks like I shall strike the Imperial from my list.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:23 am
Suspended

hmmm... maybe not strike but have your expectations low. i would give it at least a try. maybe you love such kind of behaviour in hotels
Old May 16, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I agree. Do not strike from your list but expect indifference from the doormen... (that is what I felt there in Dec 2010, re my post on it).

Receptionists, cleaning ladies, restaurant waiters and the cake shop seller were all very nice.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by fdemacar
Receptionists, cleaning ladies, restaurant waiters and the cake shop seller were all very nice.
I agree with this except for the receptionist - one was really nice, the others were equally indifferent.

Zurich Flyer - the butler is an associated benefit of the room, not the rate. so yes, it should have been given even if my upgrade was for free. But i had to argue my way to getting the butler even after i had PAID for it.

this is but ONE of the many slips that really marred my stay at the Imperial - the more I look back, the more I am confident that this was my worst stay in Austria.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
On yet another occasion, I spoke to the concierge to try and get tickets to a concert. The concierge showed me brochures to the different shows and for one of them I asked what the seating arrangements were and if there was a big difference between the first class seats and second class seats. To this he said that there is no way for him to know, that I should go out, head over to the ticket booth of the actual theatre they are playing in, and ask the “ticket staff there” instead… that this would also save me money as he will have to charge concierge charges otherwise.
I had the opposite experience in using the concierge to get tickets to the opera. Manfred was uber helpful to deal with in advance via e-mail, even though we changed our plans countless times. We did pay a hefty markup, but Manfred got us the first row in a box for a sold-out performance and was a pleasure to deal with.

In general, we found the service quite good (with the exception of the doorman you mentioned) My wife's comment was "they treated us like we were rich, even though we aren't."
Old May 17, 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by mtimmer
I had the opposite experience in using the concierge to get tickets to the opera.
Glad to know that they were not always so cold...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:52 pm

I wrote to SPG customer service regarding my discontent stay here and got an email response from the hotel's GM. He is new and used to work in Phuket and Egypt - from the tone of his email he sounds like a great man to put this hotel back on track.

One thing that struck me from his email, however, is when he said that "the general practice at the hotel is that the full benefits of the suite butler service and amenities are linked not to the room category occupied, yet also to the rate code booked". Meaning, if you get upgraded to the one of the premier suites, you will not receive its associated benefits (i.e. http://www.hotelimperialvienna.com/butlerservice).

However, upon looking at the hotel's website, it does appear that the benefits of rooms are associated to the room itself rather than the 'rate-code booked'. You can also see what I mean here: http://www.hotelimperialvienna.com/r...isonette_suite.

If what the GM said to me is true, then the wordings on the website needs a bit of tweaking to prevent confusions going forward... i.e. instead of saying "Treatments included for guests in the Maisonette Suite", it should state "Treatments included for guests who book the Maisonette Suite" etc etc.

If I may, I would like to request for the Lurkers to raise this with the hotel (if my points are valid - if not, pls let us know) as I feel like I have already had too many email encounters in relation to my stay here already...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:03 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...If I may, I would like to request for the Lurkers to raise this with the hotel (if my points are valid - if not, pls let us know) as I feel like I have already had too many email encounters in relation to my stay here already...
I have passed along your suggestion to the GM for his review.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Great Hotel, IMHO!

I stayed at the Imperial for 4 nights in September, and we had a marvelous experience...

I found all the front desk staff to be more than accommodating, and the GM went out of his way to personally greet us and wish us a happy anniversary stay. Herr Christandl seems to have the Hotel Imperial back on track, as we noticed none of the issues described in previous posts (well, maybe the doorman...)

We had an amazing room, which was immaculate at all times, and every ammenity provided by the Hotel was first class.

I recommend the Imperial highly, and also the Cafe Schwarzenberg, just across the street. ^
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Are butlers including with the room, or when paying a certain room.
For instance, if I get upgraded to an Elizabeth suite, should I get butler service?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:22 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by dimramon
Are butlers including with the room, or when paying a certain room.
For instance, if I get upgraded to an Elizabeth suite, should I get butler service?
Only certain suite types include butler service. The Elizabeth Suite is one of them.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dimramon
...if I get upgraded to an Elizabeth suite, should I get butler service?
FWIW, our suite was a wonderful upgrade, and although we didn't notice any butler, we hardly felt as though we were deprived...^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.