Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
So how can you say the resort fee was a "surprise"? Did you research before your visit? I often review a property, even if I am a returning guest.
I didn't say it was a surprise.

I was responding to a post that incorrectly stated that if these fees had been waived in the past, the platinum guest was "lucky". That's not accurate and that's what my response addressed.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Are all the room rehabs done? I'm staying for one night tomorrow and was told I was "upgraded" to a "premium junior suite" but can't even find that on the website. I'm a quality over quantity guy so if I should ask for a change? Also, my SNA request was denied about 15 min before getting a note about an upgrade so I'm a little confused.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:25 am

I'm an SPG Plat who had a 7 night (points) stay between 4/15 and 4/22.

There is prominently marked SPG Gold/Platinum counter for service. In my experience (checking in, out, and asking questions), most of the people had no idea what that was and just thought it was the regular SPG line for people who had signed up for the program.

During check-in they did recognize my status and spent about 10 minutes trying to find me the best available room. They couldn't find me a suite for the duration but were able to place me on a high floor on the east tower with a balcony which had a great view of Epcot and the fireworks.

The room, other than that, was okay. This is my first time at the Dolphin so I have no idea if I had a refurbished room or not (I'd guess not). We spent a lot of time at the parks and the pool so I was pretty happy to have that balcony even if the room was mediocre.

I took the breakfast amenity and upgraded our breakfasts from the continental fare to the buffet for $8/person. We mostly ate at Fresh for breakfast but one day went over to Garden Grove for a character breakfast and thought he buffet was more expansive.

We slummed it by choosing to "make a green choice" the whole stay. You really have fight for those 500 point cards... I had to ask for cards over at the concierge because room service just wasn't leaving them under my door each time they returned with water and coffee. It was worth the trouble for those 3,000 starpoints.

I took advantage of Camp Dolphin (which is a daycare/babysitting facility) open 7 days a week between 5 and midnight. It's very conveniently located and allowed us to have some adult time at Epcot. My daughter just loved going there.

Also, I suppose I was very lucky because I was not charged a resort fee. I had expected to get hit by this even though I was a plat. Strangely enough, they did charge me $10 (only one time) for premium internet access. I was able to get this removed when I checked out.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:09 am
Suspended

Does anyone know if this hotel (Or Starwood in general) recognizes status if reservation is booked on a 3rd party site? I know that no points will be awarded but more concerned with status recognition.

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
Does anyone know if this hotel (Or Starwood in general) recognizes status if reservation is booked on a 3rd party site? I know that no points will be awarded but more concerned with status recognition.

Thanks.
You are not entitled to anything. Please see this thread: FAQ: Starwood and 3rd party bookings: any benefits? stay credits?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Thanks.
Remember that Starwood does have a price match guarantee as well. They will match the price and either offer you a 20% discount or 2000 points. See here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...on-thread.html
Old May 18, 2017, 2:44 pm
Suspended

You are not entitled to anything. Please see this thread: FAQ: Starwood and 3rd party bookings: any benefits? stay credits?

Hmm. I ended up calling the Swan directly early this morning. The girl really knew her stuff and answered all my questions quickly. She also added my SPG # to my reservation, made a note that I would get Gold recognition, and I would accumulate SPG points on the stay.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Remember that Starwood does have a price match guarantee as well. They will match the price and either offer you a 20% discount or 2000 points. See here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...on-thread.html

Yes but I had some hotels.com GC's that I purchased at a 20% discount. Plus, I earn the free night after every 10 stays with Hotels.com. I use SPG so very rarely that it makes more sense to book with the 3rd party in my case.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Hmm. I ended up calling the Swan directly early this morning. The girl really knew her stuff and answered all my questions quickly. She also added my SPG # to my reservation, made a note that I would get Gold recognition, and I would accumulate SPG points on the stay.
If I were you, I would not expect this to be honored. YMMV but don't be disappointed if you get exactly what the program states you will receive in this situation, which is nothing. If "the girl" actually did everything you said, then she is not an employee who "knew her stuff"!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
If I were you, I would not expect this to be honored. YMMV but don't be disappointed if you get exactly what the program states you will receive in this situation, which is nothing.
I'll be in the parks most of the time so it won't be the end of the world but I will cite dissatisfaction with the phone call as false information would have been given to me.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Are you sure she knows the program, made up rules or told you what you wanted to hear? She added your SPG number as you can earn points on incidentals. However, you are not entitled to elite level benefits, stay or night credit.

If you do end up with elite benefits it's luck. I you do end up with points, stay, or night credit, it's an accident and they can be removed if your account is audited.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

it's an accident and they can be removed if your account is audited.
I'll transfer them immediately.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Oh you are just Gold? There aren't many elite benefits to that as it is so you wouldn't be missing anything. But yea you are better using the hotels.com booking and discount.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Oh you are just Gold? There aren't many elite benefits to that as it is so you wouldn't be missing anything. But yea you are better using the hotels.com booking and discount.
At almost all the Marriott properties I've stayed at (not a ton), I've gotten a room upgrade. Since the next category up at the Swan from the base room is a room with a view, that'd be pretty nice.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Southwest
Sorry if this has been discussed prior, but I couldn't find it. I will be traveling in October for my second points stay at the Dolphin. This is the second stay with 3 adults in the room. Last year no mention of $25 charge per night for 3rd adult, this time when I booked the agent said there was a charge. Just wondering about others experience. It was the first I've heard of it. I'm only Preferred Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.