Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTT+Amb., BA GGL, Flying Blue LTP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aloha12
Do they allow Plat a 4PM check-out at the Swan/Dolphin?
I stayed many times @ Swan & Dolphin as SPG Platinum (One of my favorite hotel in Disney for the location). They are a resort & Convention hotel, and give the 4pm only upon availibility. I would say I succeed to have the 4pm late checkout on 40% of my stays when I asked for it. They are full very often.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I was here for 2 weeks in July and loved the Dolphin. We were upgraded from a Classic took to a suite for the entire 2 week stay! We chose the breakfast and received 28, yes count ‘em, 28 breakfast coupons which we mainly used at the Dolphin as we preferred the restaurant and on the few days we chose to upgrade to a hot breakfast the waffles had pancakes were made to order, as opposed to sitting under food lamps as they do at the Swan. Generally the Dolphin bar, Phinns was a relaxing place ot sit and people watch but when conventions were on it was heaving at 5pm, so we avoided that time. Against that, there was plenty of space every day around the Grotto pool except at weekends when the Costco families turned up (no insult to Costco, but it does offer very cheap weekend breaks, so the pool became a heaving mass of families enjoying their cheap break) so we chose the Swan pool to lay back and relax. The Fountain Shakes and Ice Creams are certainly a great alternative to Disney’s Beaches and Cream and Shulas is a real must visit restaurant! Boats to Epcot and Hollywood are slooow, we walked and beat them every time! As for the Swan or Dolphin question, well we found the Swan to be slow and sterile, whereas the Dolphin seems bustling and happy, so it’s the Dolphin for us!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by gsimmons2005
I have had success doing that. Put both of you on the reservation and ensure he is the one checking in. Tell them he is plat and it was supposed to be under him. Worth a shot...if not ask the manager to at least get the benefits without the stays on his account.
Thanks. Will try it next week and hopefully i will get lucky. Free breakfast will make a big difference!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I go down several times a year and sometimes stay at Swan/Dolphin. I always try to stay at Swan for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. I agree with everything the other posters have said about the Swan. Since it's the smaller hotel, it's easier to deal with. It's a Westin, while the Dolphin is a Swan, so the room amenities are slightly nicer. The busses stop there first, which is convenient. Also, since you can walk to two of the 4 parks (Hollywood Studios and Epcot), the walk is a bit shorter from Swan. If you're not planning on spending too much time away from Disney, I strongly recommend just relying on Uber/Lyft. I did so on my last trip down and found that the cost was comparable to a rental car, and a lot less hassle. Also, they have priority drop-off and pickup areas at both Disney and Universal, so it's more convenient than parking. To be honest, you really can't go wrong with either. I will say though, that as an SPG Plat, I NEVER got a "real" upgrade at either the Swan or the Dolphin. At best, they'd grandly announce that I'd been "upgraded" to a room with a balcony, or a room with a "resort view" (which usually meant that if I craned my neck while looking out the window, I might catch a glimpse of a part of a theme park). As for these fabled multi-bedroom suites with salons and pianos? I guess I don't rate Maybe now that I'm a Lifetime Platinum Premier I'll do better
Just checked into two rooms tonight (1 room has plat and the other one is plat premier) and both rooms only got upgraded to a resort view NOT a suite or one with balcony. They claimed the hotel is 97% fully booked. My room originally showed the room with balcony but it got downgrade to no balcony at check in...may be I should have done online check in the night before.

Originally Posted by gsimmons2005
Mine was 20$ last time in February as a Plat. But I had to call to remind them

For those with families, given the points are the same now for both, the Swan has queen beds versus doubles at the Dolphin. More room for those with bigger kids or used to some space.

Stayed here (swan or dolphin) 30+ times over past 15 years, so happy to offer Tips. Some are:

- Use plat breakfast at Swan, upgrades to hot menu are cheaper (by a few dollars)
- If multiple nights and not staying on business (expensed), the breakfast voucher is worth way more than the 500 point amenity
- Do go green and get lots of points
- Dolphin has more balconies, so better chance
- Avoid the dolphin pool side rooms unless you like deep bass from the pool music all day
- When super busy, walk to Swan for disney bus as it picks up there first and you have a better chance of making a bus instead of full buses passing the swan
- Actually had better upgrades at Swan. 5 times put in 3 room suite with kitchen, living room, piano. Helps when I had two rooms booked (one kind, one queen) and was not staying during busy time or during a convention. Dolphin has been twice
- Dont upgrade to the family room if you have a family - you get a king bed with an alcove which never works for adults staying up past kids bedtime.
- Call 2 weeks prior to ask for connecting rooms as asking plat concierge or putting it online never works
- Skip the car...take an uber, get to know the driver and do it offline for uber for airport trips. We get a minivan trip from airport for 50$ for all 6 of us
- Swan pool is never busy and I find it more relaxing than larger grotto pool
- Gyms at both are fine, but dolphin one is bigger with fitness rooms and more selection of weights
- They have bed rails for those with little kids prone to falling off
- With all the bends and alcoves, the walk to Epcot or Hollywood studios is shorter for the swan
- Fountain (shake place) at Dolphin is good and a cheaper alternative to Beaches at Cream at Yacht club
- Often need to call to remind them to lower resort charge for plats
- Character breakfasts at Swan on Sat/Sun - with plat breakfast voucher, its the best deal going
- Smores at beach many nights are fun with the kids
- For Swan, be careful of rooms that face interior fountains as if you are low enough people smoke down there and it flows up
- Faster room service at Swan
- Checking in early often doesnt get you far. I rarely ever get in before 2pm
- For those runners out there, most folks run the boardwalk or to Hollywood. Another option is the run on the right side of the canal to hollywood or along the outside perimeter of the hotels (4 miles) with one section running on the grass
- You get magic hours benefits
- WALK, WALK, WALK, the boat is SLOW to hollywood or epcot

All in all, we like the swan better as it is smaller, closer to breakfast and better bus access. However, it is really a toss up
The resort fee is discounted from $28 down to $23 for plats when I asked about it today. Would you say Swan or Dolphin is better if I just want to do continental breakfast? I would think this week is still PEAK so I should walk to Swan for the bus in the morning?

thanks for all the tips!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So, was not really interested in Swan or Dolphin, but extended family want to do WDW and I refuse to put my butt in a bed where there are no benefits attached. Either of these properties have anything that resembles a lounge?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by etsmyers
So, was not really interested in Swan or Dolphin, but extended family want to do WDW and I refuse to put my butt in a bed where there are no benefits attached. Either of these properties have anything that resembles a lounge?
nope, nein, niet

you get continental breakfast for two which is more than adequate in the restaurant but that’s it

location is unbeatable if you want Marriott and wdw benefits
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:24 pm

For what it’s worth I stay in swan for wdw even though points are the same cost for far better properties offsite. Having the wdw benefits with fastpass and transit make the hotel worth it imo
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
nope, nein, niet

you get continental breakfast for two which is more than adequate in the restaurant but that’s it

location is unbeatable if you want Marriott and wdw benefits
And you can upgrade the free continental breakfast to the full breakfast buffet for a moderate charge (I think it was $8 per person the last time I was there). And the full breakfast is pretty nice. If you're at the Swan, the "Garden Grove" restaurant has character dining for breakfast, with like likes of Goofy and Chip 'n Dale showing up to take pictures with families. However, if you don't care about that, I think the food over at the "Fresh Mediterranean Market" is better with made-to-order waffles, french toast and pancakes, fresh pressed health juices, and an omelette bar.

Otherwise, both hotels have been fairly recently renovated and I think they are largely on par with each other. And +1 on the location. I particularly love being walking distance from Epcot -- while it's not a trivial walk, it's reasonable and a pleasant one past the Boardwalk shops and restaurants.

A couple other things that might matter to some visitors are:
  • the Dolphin has a convention center so you might see conference displays and such around the hotel (which can sometimes take away from the "magic" of the stay
  • two bed rooms at the Swan are two queens, while at the Dolphin they are two doubles
dagangwood likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Was looking for some nights right after Labor Day as I've heard that's a relatively quiet time to visit. Dolphin was about $190/night while the Swan was more than double at 390/night. Same room type except 2 queens vs. 2 doubles. That seems like a crazy price differential.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by musicscrip
The resort fee is discounted from $28 down to $23 for plats when I asked about it today.
Stayed at the Dolphin last weekend as an Ambassador and learned that there is no longer any discount on the resort fee for platinums or higher. Instead, platinum and higher members receive 125 points per night as a "bonus amenity." It's truly disappointing to see the value of this hotel erode over the last several years.

Cheers,
LBBZman
darcyt likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by lbbzman
Stayed at the Dolphin last weekend as an Ambassador and learned that there is no longer any discount on the resort fee for platinums or higher. Instead, platinum and higher members receive 125 points per night as a "bonus amenity." It's truly disappointing to see the value of this hotel erode over the last several years.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Believe they got rid of the reduced fee with the merger into bonvoy
Old May 12, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Coming from the SPG side, I still mentally divide point amounts by 3 as I think about their value. Trying to imagine a scenario where I would have been offered 42 SPG points for something...
lbbzman and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AC 75K/Marriott Platinum Elite
SNA @ Dolphin?

I just booked two nights in February 2020 at the Dolphin using Points. I'm Platinum and going with my family, and will want to use my Suite Night Awards to try for an upgrade.

Can anyone confirm whether they have been able to use SNA's at the Dolphin (or Swan) since the merger with Marriott? I know certain properties are excluded, and want to know if the Dolphin is part of that. As the stay isn't until 2020, I don't think I can even check or make the request until January.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
I don't recall seeing this previously reported, but if it has, my apologies.

When connecting a device to Wi-Fi, the screen presented after providing last name and room number now indicates that you are entitled to 999 devices. Previously, the limit was 5. This is a welcome improvement and is what I would expect to receive as part of a non-waivable resort fee.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by lbbzman
I don't recall seeing this previously reported, but if it has, my apologies.

When connecting a device to Wi-Fi, the screen presented after providing last name and room number now indicates that you are entitled to 999 devices. Previously, the limit was 5. This is a welcome improvement and is what I would expect to receive as part of a non-waivable resort fee.
$100 to the person who reaches their max

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.